Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thejimbar

iAquaLink - Jandy/Zodiac iPhone Control -Finally

thejimbar
11 years ago

Any PB's or DIY'ers have any experience or comments with/about the new iAqua control for Jandy equipment? I just ordered the PCB/Firmware upgrade kit to add this to my control system. Can't wait to monitor and control my pool from my iPhone/iPad. About time Jandy! My big benefit will be the ability to start up hot tub when I am not home, but have it ready when I am. IPad control will be huge as well. Paid $434 shipped online for the $699 kit.

Doing the install myself, doesn't look complicated at all.

Comments (27)

• goyom
    11 years ago

I was wondering if zodiac would ever do this, they have lost many potential customers to Pentair since they have had it.

I have the aqualink rs, I wonder if I just need the transmitter and wifi, its only $260 or if I need to replace the board like the kit you have.

I dabbled with the rs232 cable and the text commands, it works ok with home automation systems, but this is much nicer.

• goyom
    11 years ago

Found my answer...

http://www.zodiacpoolsystems.com/Products/Controls/iAquaLink.aspx

RS and PDA Upgrade Kit Includes
    2007-Present iAquaLink wi-fi device, Free Firmware upgrade
    1996-2006 iAquaLink wi-fi device, Power Center electronics upgrade

http://www.zodiacpoolsystems.com/Products/Controls/~/media/Zodiac/Global/Downloads/H0364300.ashx

Man for $259 I may have to bite on this one.

• huskyridor
    11 years ago

You need to know which chip you have in your outdoor power center. Don't make your purchase until you know.
    Although the Mfg shows the dates of manufacture they don't know the dates of the sale by the wholesaler.
    I've seen brand new product sitting at a distributor's shop that was 2 years old and superseded by newer product but they still had to move the old product before ordering new replacement product.

See ya,
    Kelly

• huskyridor
    11 years ago

You need to know which chip you have in your outdoor power center. Don't make your purchase until you know.
    Although the Mfg shows the dates of manufacture they don't know the dates of the sale by the wholesaler.
    I've seen brand new product sitting at a distributor's shop that was 2 years old and superseded by newer product but they still had to move the old product before ordering new replacement product.

See ya,
    Kelly

• poolguynj
    11 years ago

First, welcome home Kelly. We missed ya!

Second, the one thing I like about the Jandy is that it works with both iOS and Android devices.

Scott

• goyom
    11 years ago

Amen to that. Kelly I drive by your shop once or twice a week.

I really need to stop in and say HI.

Glad to see you back.

• huskyridor
    11 years ago

goyom,

If you stop by our shop you most likely wont find anyone there.
    I laid off the receptionist a few years ago due to the recession and the showroom is by appointment only since.
    All you might catch is workers coming in or out with dump trucks or stakebed trucks to pick up product, excavators, etc...

See ya,
    Kelly

• thejimbar
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Not sure what the heck that last post was about, but just wanted to report in on my DIY install of the iAquaLink.
    Taking the board out and rewiring the new one was a piece of cake. Nothing but putting back the existing push on connectors where they came from on the old board. Used some small labels to label wires. Only new wiring was the wireless antenna, and that was 4 wires to screw into a small push on connector. Programming the wireless unit to connect to my home network was a 5 minute job, as was registering for a free account with Jandy. Placement of the wireless antenna is key to it working flawlessly. You must be able to hardwire the main board directly to your router or make sure you have a strong wireless network (I say Apple only) and locate the antenna for maximum signal. I snaked the antenna wire into the house and mounted the antenna indoors, protecting the unit from elements as well as providing max signal strength. Downloading the app to the iPhone was simple, log in with the account and there my pool control was. About an hour job all together.
    If you are not handy, please leave it up to the professional PB's, only attempt if you are electronic and tech savvy.

Here are some screen shots from my iPhone.

• ianmd68
    11 years ago

Jim,

Thanks for the review. My Jandy PDA died last week and I was looking at this as a replacement. Your review has cinched the deal. Can you share where you purchased it? Sounds like you got a great deal!

Ian

• thejimbar
    Original Author
    11 years ago

See link

Here is a link that might be useful: iAqua

• ianmd68
    11 years ago

Thanks Jim!!! Just ordered. SHould ship tomorrow. Any tricks I need to know when I go to install?

• pirateslovebacon
    11 years ago

I've been looking into this too. From what I've read, if you don't have an RS8, you will need to have the firmware re-flashed, and you will have to go through your dealer for this.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google search on the subject

• trhought
    11 years ago

thejimbar....Congrats. I was looking at this back in January before they started shipping in April/May.

At the time, we couldn't justify the estimated $600-700 they quoted.

At this price, we may go for it.

Have you set up the functionality via cellular connection yet or just local wifi so far. It looked like the port forwarding procedure for my router and computer could be tricky.

Just curious what your experience has been with setting up functionality while you're away from home.

Thanks.

• thejimbar
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Works through either wifi or my cellular network. Have iPhone 3GS as personal phone through ATT, and iPhone 4S for business through Verizon. No issues connecting whatsoever. Controlled pool from NC last week! Have Airport Extreme router at home. Never had to change any settings for that, just connect the Antenna to your computer (mine Apple MacBook Pro), go to the Jandy website (instructions included) and put in your wireless network name and password. That was it. Works like a charm. Again the most important thing is making sure if you set the unit up for wireless from the box, that you place the antenna to get the strongest signal. Alternate is to hard wire from your router direct to the panel, no antenna needed. If you like the tekkie stuff, get yourself a Nest Thermostat to control your home HVAC. Have 2 in my house, really a great product.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nest Thermostat

• trhought
    11 years ago

thejimbar...Thanks for the update...sounds like Jandy has simplified the process considerably.

Thanks for the Nest T-stat link. Looks trendy and most of all functional.

I've been using Nexia's home automation equipment including their hi def T-stats. They also have IP addressable door locks which alow control via our iphones.

Now, we can let neighbors in while we're away to check on things in the house. It also tells us if any of the doors were left unlocked by accident and even sends a text when one of the doors in unlocked.

Here's a link to their T-stat along with their other accessories.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nexia T-stat

• thejimbar
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks. Our ADT system gives us the camera, lighting control control from the iPhone that the Nexia does, doesn't have the lock system capability yet, but heard it is coming.

We've had the numeric keypad deadbolts for years, great, never have to carry keys.
    I know, this is supposed to be a pool forum, I will stop.

• ianmd68
    11 years ago

Hey jim. Why type of pool lights do you have, and have you had any trouble changing colors with the iaqualink? I have jandycolors and despite indicating so in the settings, it won't cycle through the colors. Worked fine with the PDA.

• thejimbar
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No issues, all 3 lights cycle fine. Did you go online (though Mac or PC) and set it up from there with your online account? Connect to your pool account online and go to main screen. Select MENU, SYSTEM SET UP, COLOR LIGHTS, JANDY COLORS, and make sure you select the lights from the drop down and save them with SAVE button. A "JC" should be shown in the drop down next to each light. Like this.

If this doesn't work I would call Jandy Tech Support. They are pretty responsive about this system. I got some quick answers from them before I purchased my board.

• afnajs
    11 years ago

I just set up my iAqualink. Seems to work really well and is certainly more responsive then my wireless RS on-touch. I have the intellibrite lights, and I have no problem setting/changing the colors.

I do have a growing list of enhancements I'd like to see such as tracking energy consumption of the ePump and the ability to backup and store the configuration. Given the web interface, I think a more streamlined scheduling interface (drag and drop items onto a timeline) is in order.

Oh, and let's get the iPhone app revised so it takes advantage of the iPads greater screen real-estate.

For the technical inclined people, the iAqualink is actually based on the ioBridge platform (including the phone apps). It's nice to see Jandy/Zodiac leveraging existing technology vs trying to develop this in-house.

Jeff

• thejimbar
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bump for Coopsyd, see thread for more info on iAqualink.

• DoItRightPools
    11 years ago

The iAqualink is the perfect upgrade when your pc board or remote stops working. I have installed 12+ iAqualink systems with 0 wireless connection problems. My last customer had an Apple Time Capsule. When I placed iAqualink j box antenna about 75' from the Time Capsule I could not connect. I used my android phone wifi app to check the signal strength from the Time Capsoule. No signal just under 50' !!! What a joke. Wreless routers like D-Link, and Netgear connected at more than 100'. Hope this info helps.

• cnr1089
    11 years ago

DoItRightPools, quite possibly they had their TimeCapusle set up for 5Ghz, which can provide faster connection, but isn't compatible with everything (and has a shorter distance). I have two time capsules, one in the basement, and I can access it on any part of my house and around my .75 acre property (by the pool especially). I have my other one set up at 5Ghz, in my office (for faster speeds 450 Mbps) and it doesn't work well a few rooms over....

• rossterman
    11 years ago

I need the iq900-rs. Where have you guys found the best price ordering online?

• poolguynj
    11 years ago

If you plan to install this yourself, you can find it too.

If you plan to buy it and hire someone to install it, you'll wind up spending more than if you found a knowledgeable and reliable dealer locally that can/will support you on site.

Scott

• rossterman
    11 years ago

Well, installed today and worked fine for a couple of hours. Now it just keeps trying to connect but doesnt. Wireless one touch works fine. Checked diagnostics and says 2 of 5 bars signal stregnth. Will try relocating tomorrow for better signal but suspect something else is at fault as worked fine before. Anyone have any thoughts?

Btw- all 3 lights on the antenna are lit up

• thejimbar
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It's all about the wireless signal. It's a "G" signal, so router must be located very nearby, -or- you can drill a hole into the house from the outside and mount the antenna INSIDE the house closer to the router -or - for best signal you can also hard wire the panel directly to the router. I have all Apple routers in my house and I had a similar issue as you and solved it by locating an Apple Airport Express in network extender mode directly behind where the antenna is located outside. Next summer I plan to run the antenna inside the house and will mount it in the basement. Protects it from the elements.

• loosecannon1
    11 years ago

@thejimbar - I am getting ready to the exact same thing with +3db airport express from Quickertek.

I do have a general question for anyone. I used MAC address filtering and WPA2 on my airport extreme's. Is MAC address for the iAqualink provided somewhere and can it handle WPA2 security?

Here is a link that might be useful: Antenna Express

Sponsored
Town & Country Pools, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Discover the Best Pool Builder in Virginia, Maryland & DC!