Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Intellichlor not working?

Posted by mark1969 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 6, 10 at 8:40

I've been running my Intellichlor for 2 days at 100% and I still have no chlorine in the pool. All lights are green, the salt is 3800, and it appears to be working. The pool was new last year and everything was working great when they closed it up. Unfortunately the electrian hardwired it through conduit so I can not remove it to clean. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mark

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Intellichlor not working?

Is this during a start up? You may have something in the water eating up the chlorine as fast as it can be produced - things like algae or ammonia, etc. What are the chemical test numbers for CYA?

o

CYA - 55
PH - 7.7
TA - 80
Hardness - 180
Salt - 3800
DE Filter completely cleaned last week

opened the pool two weeks ago water is clear. Shocked it twice so far. I ran the return straight into a bucket and still getting no chlorine...

o

I called my pool builder and he was no help. He said "call the manufacture". The pool is a year old. I called Pentair and was on hold for 30min with no answer. Does anyone have an idea what I should do?

o

I am over confident that you need to clean the salt cell. I needs to be regularly cleaned every 3 to 4 months.

o

"Unfortunately the electrian hardwired it through conduit so I can not remove it to clean"
I think you answered your own question with this statement.

o

The only thing that is hard wired is the power center. The cell's cord has a threaded coupling.

Scott

o

All of the wiring is through the same conduit and I can not pull it back through to remove. Can I cut it and wire in a male & female plug at the unit so I can disconnect?

o

With it running take a water sample from the stream coming out of one of your returns to see if it is putting out chlorine.

o

I got my water tested agian, third time, at a new place and they say I have chlorine lock and need to put in 100 bags of shock to correct this. Is this posible?

o

mark1969, I would get some more advice from the folks at trouble free pools forum. It is free to post and they are excellent at water chemistry. Go to this link http://www.troublefreepool.com/index.html

o

100 bags? No, it's not possible unless your pool is a 1/2 million gallons or better. There is no such thing as chlorine lock. Someone that tells you that doesn't know what they are talking about. If your CYA level is repeatedly at 55 or so, your free level should be 5-7 ppm and combined at .5 or less. A CYA of 55 is fine. Shocking level is up to 10X that but usually not needed to be that high to free the combined chlorine, 5-7X will frequently do it.

Buy yourself a real test kit. Either a TF100, Taylor 2006k, or DPD-FAS capable kit from Leslie's. It will tell you definitively what your pH, alk, calcium hardness, free and combined chlorine, and stabilizer (cyanuric acid) level. Also check for phosphates by getting an inexpensive test kit.

Post a picture of your salt cell to power center connection please. I can't believe an electrician would hard wire that. Cable tied, yes, hard wired, no. The power center is hard wired to it's power source. The cell has a screw on plug.

Scott

o

I had a similar setup and all it required was cleanning the scale from the salt cell. You should be able to unscrew the cell from the pipe and clean it right at the unit without disconnecting it. make sure the power is off. there are plenty of resources online that show pictures how you can clean it. It is very easy.

Basically rubber band a plastic bag on one end and the over a bucket carefully pour in the cleanning solution and wait for the bubbles to finish. dump it in the bucket, rinse with the hose. Finally put it back on and it should start working again.

o

I have a similar problem with little cl production from the ic 40. I thought it self cleaned. I see where I can detach it and run acid down the cells to clean and will try that.

Could that be the reason we are not getting ample cl production?

o

yes, the cells will build up a layer of scale and they need to be cleaned every once in a while. I needed to do it at 6 months.

o

Yipee it worked!

I cleaned the cells and its working fine. The cells had chunks of scale. I thought it was a piece of styrofoam at first but it was a hard as a rock.

Poured acid through it a few times and it cleaned up great.

Resembled with no leaks. Took 20 minutes....

Thanks-everything takes maintenance doesnt it.....

o

I finally got my Intelichlor apart for cleaning but when i put it back together I can't any lights to come on. The easytouch says communication error but everything is hooked up exactly as before. Is this kind of stuff normal or am I just having a streak of bad luck? I cycled the power, hit the reset buton, reconnected and still nothing.

o

If you have at least 3 pieces of Pentair equipment, then Pentair gives you a three year warranty on all your equipment.

o

I do, so hopefully I can get this finally resolved...

o

Quote: All of the wiring is through the same conduit and I can not pull it back through to remove. Can I cut it and wire in a male & female plug at the unit so I can disconnect?
End Quote

This bothers me. How is the cell's cable in with the power line? The cell has it's own approved connector to the power center. Are you saying the installer cut the connector off and bypassed the connector entirely?

Scott

o

No, the electrician ran the intellichlor cable through 10' of conduit with 4 other cables so I was unable to pull it back to remove or determine which cable was actually controlling the cell. He did not cut the cable but must have ran the connetor through before the other wires. I was able to dig up and split the conduit without cutting any wires but now the panel cannot communicate with the cell. The whole thing seems a little bizarre, and the pool builder is worthless...

o

The electrician is worthless. High voltage lines and low voltage lines are not permitted in the same conduit. The cord for the cell is considered low voltage.

There is no connection for the cell inside the panel. Conduits must be terminated on both ends. The cell cord has it's own weather tight connection outside the power distribution panel.

Check the signatures of the permits. The electrician and inspector are liable for this.

Scott

o

I agree and have just come to realze that they couldn't care less. I did talk to the pool builder and he says there is nothing he can do and that I should call the electrian myself, the one that he hired! Once they have your money there is really nothing you can do... I can't believe companies like this can stay in business! They whole project was a series of attemped corner cuts that I kept cathing. Anyway, I will just work through this myself and hope it doden't cost me too much $$$

o
RE: Intellichlor not working no flow

My IntelliChlor has been on line since June of 2009 with no problems. Now I have no flow indicator. I have cleaned the unit and even manually pushed the flow contacts together. Nothing, Is there a way to reset the unit or is this beyond the user.

o

I purchased a dummy unit so I can keep the actual unit indoors during the winter. (I run pump when temps get real low) I did not want to run the risk of freeze damage in the unit. You may know this, but when the water temperature is low (less than 60F or maybe less) the unit may not produce chlorine.

o

There is no reset for the unit, but you can replace the flow switch.

http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/ntellichloFlowSwitchReplacementKitIG.pdf

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here