Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
metal pipe out of deck into pool at open house..

Posted by ladbrandy (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 8, 11 at 7:50

HI,

We went to look at a house to buy and they had a large 20 by 50 gunite pool that was older, at least 30 yrs old. Next to the diving board was a large metal pipe coming out of the deck with loud pouring water into the pool.
I asked the agent what it was and she said she didnt know, or she was lying.
What is this? A bad repair of a leak? I couldnt stand the noise all day and it looks bad.

Thank you, Karen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: metal pipe out of deck into pool at open house..

That metal pipe is most likely an "old school" fill line and they were probably just filling the pool while you were there. To test it out you could ask them to turn off the pool pump. If the water continues to flow it is not a "pool return" line but merely the fill line. It will only be on (manually) when the pool needs water and should not be a concern. If it turns off when the pump is off (which would be unusual) then it could be part of the pool return system, and so would be running whenever the pool is circulating, which is quite often. That would be a problem, but you rarely if ever see a pool return line routed over the coping, and if you do it is unconventional or a "hack" cure to some other underlying issue (like leaky underground plumbing) and should raise some red flags and warrant further investigation from a pool professional.
Chuck

o

If you buy that property, make sure you have that pool inspected buy a person who is certified, from top to bottom to prevent hidden costs later on. A couple of hundred dollars now could save you 20k down the road.

o

HI,

Thank you both for your replies. The pool was really full at the time so I dont why they would leave it running during a house showing. So it could be either, the house in general needed lots of work, and this was at 950,000!
So I will not be buying it. I hope whoever does, checks out the pool though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here