Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vinyl or Gunite for Vkap

Posted by poolguynj (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 30, 12 at 3:16

Hi Guys,

I was hoping to get your thoughts on the following decision. I'm currently deciding between a purchase of a vinyl pool with a sun deck or a gunite pool(quartz finish) with a sun deck. Both pools are the same size. Same decking (except the gunite will have a brick coping the vinyl cantelever), electric heater cover, etc.

The gunite pool is coming in about $7000 more than the vinyl pool. Over say 20 years, which pool is generally more costly to maintain ? Liners are cheap, plastering is expensive with possible tiles popping off?

Vkap.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vinyl or Gunite for Vkap

I'm building a vinyl one right now with a brick coping (not a big fan of cantelever)I use a new flat coping from Fort Wayne that has no rollover and looks great....The replaster cost or a replacement liner in 10years or so should be enough to help you make the decision. I like to get full patterns no border on the top of the liner to give the pool that gunite look..

Rusty

o
RE: Vinyl or Gunite for Vkap

I reposted this as a new topic. Seems the format of the forum won't allow a a new topic be created by just changing the existing topic name, from an existing topic.

Back on topic:

I don't like liners and sun shelves. It is never, in the long term, a good mix. Older vinyl losses plasticity and strength. Add dragged chairs and loungers and you get holes. Shallow floors and elevated water tables in the Spring can and do happen to float liners, create wrinkles, or pull away from the track.

Liners are not cheap. I don't know who told you that.

Renovation work isn't cheap for either pool type. Over the long haul, its a toss up.

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here