Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kim_in_lv

And so it begins ....... Owner Builder in LV

kim_in_lv
16 years ago

Hello all -

Tomorrow is the big day. Layout and digging! I have found other owner builder threads so useful, I figured I would share my experience.

Here is what has happened so far. I found a pool designer and had my plan drafted and engineered. Pulled permits from the city. Spent a fair amount of time collecting bids. Original budget looks something like this:

Estimate

Design/Engineering 925

Permits 950

Excavation 2,500

Steel 2,000

Plumbing 6,000

Pool Equipment 7,000

Electric 4,500

Gunite 7,500

Tile 3,500

Decking 7,000

Plaster 7,000

Pool Slide 2,500

Safety 3,500

Start-up 1,000

Solar 5,000

TOTAL 59,000

I rounded up on everything - so the actual costs may come in lower.

Pool specs

18' x 32' free form

24" raised bond beam in corner with sheer decent

SR Smith Turbotwister pool slide

7' spa with 13 jets

In-floor cleaning system

Pentair Equipment including Intelliflo pump and

Intellitouch automation

SWG

Solar

(2) wetdeck bubblers

depth 3'6" to 7'6"

Here is the plan:

{{gwi:2038551}}

Here is the bare land - waiting for water!

{{gwi:2038810}}

Tentative schedule

Excavation - June 15th & June 16th

Plumbing - June 18th - June 20th

Rebar - June 21st & June 22nd

Electric - June 25th - June 27th

Pre-Gunite Inspection - June 28th!!

Can't think past gunite right now. Will post more after the dig! Wish us luck.

Comments (79)

• kim_in_lv
    Original Author
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Gunite was completed on Saturday - here are pictures.

{{gwi:2038815}}

{{gwi:2038816}}

{{gwi:2038818}}

Tile is set for install tomorrow.

Final cost of gunite was $6200 - less than I had thought.

I'm currently trying to permit my pool house with the city so I can pour the foundation soon after the pool deck is poured.

I wish we were only building the pool at this point, only a few steps away. The pool house is stressing me out!

I'll post pictures of tile soon.

• kim_in_lv
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Revised budget on the pool is

Design/Engineering/Consulting Fees 925.00
    Permits 950.00
    Excavation 2,500.00
    Steel 1,705.01
    Plumbing 5,900.00
    Pool Equipment 7,394.99
    Electric 4,000.00
    Gunite 6,268.00
    Tile 2,683.40
    Decking 6,566.00
    Plaster 6,868.00
    Pool Slide 2,244.88
    Safety 3,500.00
    Start-up 1,000.00
    Solar 6,000.00
    TOTAL 56,630.28

Numbers are coming down a bit from my original estimate - I am complete through gunite - we'll see if any of the remaining numbers give. I would love to build for $55k.

• deeker
    16 years ago

kim in lv,
    I know its not much but Nevada is just beginning to offer a $200.00 rebate back to you on the Intelliflo series pump. Rebate is given off invoice at the location where the pump was purchased to the person/company that bought the pump.
    Just starting so I thought I would let you know.

Deek

• kim_in_lv
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Deek,

Thanks for the info. I already have my equipment - I wonder if I missed the window? I will ask my plumber to check with the supplier he used. He has to take back the sheer decent he supplied (not deep enough for the curve) - so he will back at their location sometime in the near future. If he gets the rebate, I will ask him to pass it on to me!

• kim_in_lv
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Deek,

Glad to see you posting again. I was just reading another thread you have chimed in on and I have a question for you.

I have completed plumbing on the pool - with the exception of placing in-floor heads and I am thinking we may have made a mistake.

We have a VF 3050 Intelliflo pump with is set to run the solar, filter, heat, and in-floor system. I can see from another post you have listed that the VF 3050 has problems with the in-floor system. We have a Polaris Caretaker. What should I do now?

• kim_in_lv
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OK - it's been a while since I posted last. Progress since last post:

TILE

{{gwi:2038820}}

{{gwi:2038821}}

{{gwi:2038822}}

{{gwi:2038823}}

We are progress pouring the poolhouse foundation:

{{gwi:2038824}}

Decking is in progress too:

{{gwi:2038826}}

I will post more later in the week. As it is - I am missing the first day of our vacation to monitor the pour. DH and kids are relaxing right now (they left as scheduled) and I am here ....... oh well. Better safe than sorry.

• kim_in_lv
    Original Author
    16 years ago

One last picture before I leave.

{{gwi:2038828}}

• johnmgreen
    16 years ago

Outstanding! What else you can say? :)

Have a good vacation!

• kim_in_lv
    Original Author
    16 years ago

John- thanks - never made it to test your slide - too busy trying to build the pool and still make money at our regular jobs! We did receive the slide and assembled it last week. The kids have been sliding down it dry - they love it, and I'm sure it will be much better with the water flowing down.

Right now I am a bit frustrated by the control system aspect of our pool. I thought I was doing the right thing by selecting Intelliflo, but have received some information that the pump won't work well with the infloor. I think we are going to wait until the system is running and switch the unit to the cheaper 4x160 if we are having problems. I am also not sure what difference is between the Intellitouch i5, i7 or i9 units. I think I will try to post and hope Deek chimes in.

Anyhow - the schedule is spraydeck finish on Wednesday and Pebblesheen on Monday the 23rd. The schedule is spread out a bit, but I want to make sure the decking cures long enough so it won't get destroyed by remaining subs.

We should be filling our pool after the acid wash on Tuesday the 24th. I need to get a start-up guy lined up. I think I'll spend an hour or so searching start-up on the forum to get a good idea of what to expect.

Wish me luck!

• airborne101
    16 years ago

Hey Kim, saw your post in my note to vegasmom, wanted to keep us in one
    post! Showed your latest pix to Lar, he said it looks like a nice concrete job and he liked what you did with your steps and planter. LIke I said, I am almost resolved to do the spraydeck until I hit a lottery and can buy stone. I am anxious to see yours. 5 days is long enough for cure before the plaster crew comes in and its easy to cover the spraydeck if any boo boos occur. What finish in the pool? I'm so excited for you, it looks great so far. Barb

• vegasmom
    16 years ago

Wow, Kim...that is going to be one heck of a pool. It is turning out so beautifully. My kids will be jealous of your slide! When our pool is done I'll try and figure out how to post pictures.

It's basically a lap pool (our yard is only 15ft deep from end of patio to prop. wall) infinity spa on 3 sides one end, wet deck and sunken firepit on the other. 10 ft. rain waterfall on back wall, and 2 firepots on adjacent walls.

I'm starting to get nervous and hoping all our choices turn out right. Aye-yi-yi it's a lotta money, isn't it?

I'm going to do a search for that gothic stone. You all have me curious...

I can't wait to see your finished deck and pool. You'll be swimming soon :)

• kim_in_lv
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Barb - finish in the pool is going to be Pebble Sheen Blue Granite. I hope I am happy with it. Didn't you do mini pebble? I am having Adams do the finish - they were a little more money, hope it is worth it. I saw your posts on Vegasmom's post, your back yard must be full south like ours. We hardly ever get shade in the back yard - lots of sun all day long. Spray deck goes in bright and early tomorrow, I will try to post pictures in the evening.

Vegasmom - pool sounds great. You should post pictures now. I'm sure people with narrow back yards would be very interested in following your progress. I feel the best way to give back to the forum is to leave a little info that may help others. The easiest way to post pictures is to sign up at photobucket.com and download pictures to your online album. Under the pictures in your album are several different links - you want to use the URL link. In the middle of your post where you want to insert a picture, you type the following between brackets:

img src="insert the URL link under your picture at photobucket between these quote marks"

If I actually put the brackets around the typing above, the system reads it as a picture and you can't see the typing.

Hopefully this helps - I would love to see pictures.

• vegasmom
    16 years ago

Ok, that'll be my morning project :) My hubby works all day so I'm the one that's here and I've only got video of the excavation. No pics yet! He was just asking me earlier if I've taken any, lol...

I have a flickr account..wonder if that'll work. Thanks for the instructions :)

• johnmgreen
    16 years ago

Kim, my plumbing is like yours. We have a 2HP whisper-flow, and Easy Touch 8 circuit. Of course, now I read how horrible that pump is and that I really need something else. You can drive yourself crazy on these web forums. It works great is all I know. LOL!

The Easy Touch system is great, BTW. Everything is automated. We have it controlling yard lights, both spots and low voltage, spa, pool lights, water features, SWG, everything, and still have an extra circuit. You can set up separate schedules for everything. Not sure what else the Intellitouch could possibly add.

So, my TurboTwister sprang a leak. It's leaking at one of the joints. It just starting doing that with all the heat we've been having. I'm thinking the heat warped the plastic. I called SR Smith and they sent me out some more gasket material to try. Gee thanks. Can you imagine what a hassle it will be to dismantle the slide now that's it's bolted to the deck with tapcons? That's 400 lbs of slide that has to be lifted off the studs sticking out of the concrete! And I know the gasket was installed correctly, because I did it myself as shown in the manual. Plus it worked fine for the first month when it wasn't so hot out. It's either try that, or put in a warranty claim. What to do, what to do. I'll be interested to see how yours holds up in all the heat you guys get.

• airborne101
    16 years ago

I see you are spraydecking now, can' t wait to see the pictures. We do have a mini pebble, but its not the pebbletec brand. B and D mixes their own on site. Adams vs B and D were very close in price for any finish they offered, but BND warranty was 10 years vs 5 for Adams. I just had the fellow out, he removed some debris that imbedded itself in the finish and patched one small spot perfectly. I was so worried about it, see my post on not making a mountain out of a molehill. I would have liked our finish a little more blue, but Lar didn't want it too dark as its a small pool and small yard. He sees so many pools he wanted a lighter finish as they sparkle more, I have to agree with him. I am going to go find your color, I am so excited for you. Hope to see your deck later today. Barb

• kajones2
    16 years ago

I am jealous!!! (We are waiting on tile now.) Your pool is coming along very nicely and is looking great! Looks like it will be done in no time.

• kim_in_lv
    Original Author
    16 years ago

John - crap!!! I hope my slide doesn't spring a leak. How exactly is it leaking? Do you have to pull the slide to mess with the plumbing? Isn't yours all exposed in the back? You know I am in Vegas, so heat will be a problem for us as well.

Well - and now for the big decking reveal - or not! We have suffered our first weather delay. The finishing crew didn't arrive until noon because they were finishing a job from yesterday (wind had made it impossible to apply the color). Well by the time they taped and textured our deck, the wind was too intense to apply the color on my job. Now I will pushing the next guy down on their schedule so my color can be applied tomorrow. I looked and the wind should only be 5 MPH in the morning.

I had an interesting experience with the decking crew. I want a medium to heavy texture applied to the stamped concrete. I realize this may cover some of the detail, but I think it is important to maintain the effectiveness of the spraydeck finish (texture + special paint = cooler deck). Well, when I mentioned I wanted more texture to the deck crew, the foreman Gus says "no you don't honey" (code for I don't want to work that hard). I said, "yes I do Gus". He said "you will cover all the detail of the stamped concrete". My response "I will take my chances". Well needless to say they applied the heavier texture and I think you can still see all the detail. A few water bottles and Gatorade's later, I think the decking crew still likes us. It drives home the importance of standing your ground. Many subs will short cut things if you let them. On the same line, you can get alot of extra details if you are present while the process is taking place and ask nicely (helps to have cold water and Gatorade available to crews as well!).

I will definately try to post tomorrow after the deck is complete and include lots of pictures.

Next question on my list - start up with salt water or without..........

• johnmgreen
    16 years ago

Kim,

It's not the plumbing that's leaking. It's the actual slide that's leaking between two sections. You know, you put that black rubber sealing strip material in four places or so in the joints between the major slide sections. In my case it's leaking between the ladder and the first slide section. So yeah, I may have to pull the whole slide off the studs in the deck. Bleah.

Good for you for sticking to your ground on your deck coating. That acrylic coating works wonders. We have bare cement stairs going down to our pool deck, and the difference in temperature on the surfaces is amazing. The cool deck stays cool enough to walk on even on the hottest days. The cement steps is like "OW OW OW".

Startup is always with fresh water. Salt comes in two weeks after the plaster has cured. Also, the plaster dust is tough on the generator. You should have a spacer in the pipe where the SWG goes, to be replaced by the real thing a couple of weeks down the road. Or at least that's what most folks do I believe. In the interim, you want to chlorinate the old way. We used big chlorine tabs in the skimmer as advised by our PB. However, there are some folks on this site who swear that's a big no-no. So I'll let you decide how you want to chlorinate.

• vegasmom
    16 years ago

*is patiently awaiting deck pics*

Sorry about the delay. Darn Vegas wind, LOL..does it ever stop? And isn't it fun when it's 110+ and windy? Like a blowdryer set on hot and high coming at you from every direction!

Well, you'll be in that pool in no time. I, on the other hand, still have a ways to go! Taking a break and going to Oregon in 2 weeks. Yay :)

• airborne101
    16 years ago

Ahhh the Vegas weather, it's the first thing Lar looks at in the am, especially when we are expecting other than ideal conditions. That spraydeck paint is so thick. Like a milkshake. Dries in an instant. Makes it hard to get good coverage on the textured surface. Ask if they will leave extra paint with you, its so expensive ole Gus will probably give you the old "honey you won't need it", I got a good chuckle out of that one. Actually he probably just wanted you to be aware heavier texture could obscure the texture of the stamped concrete. I read that as an experienced installer which is never a bad thing. ok I will wait another day to see your finish...... probably not as disappointed as you are......... I bet the kids are so excited : ) oh and startup - BND acid washed ours and filled immediately, dumped liquid bleach in the next day and started filters etc, had us brush. Startup guy came out every day for a week to check it at least. We did that in Feb so swimming wasn't an issue. the pool wasn't nearly as cloudy with the mini pebble as when we first did the pool with plain white plaster. I suppose they all have their way of letting the finish cure. waiting along with you, Barb

• beachdiva
    16 years ago

Kim - love seeing your progress pics. Your pool will be beautiful with the Blue Granite finish. Still think it looks too big?

• kim_in_lv
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OK - had DH take deck pictures as I have to work for a living! He is a teacher so thankfully we always have someone home monitoring the build. Anyhow - I might take more tomorrow to show the detail - but I think these give an idea of the finish

{{gwi:2038830}}
    {{gwi:2038833}}
    Close up of finish
    {{gwi:2038834}}
    Decking around the poolhouse foundation - BTW framing for the poolhouse should be started and finished on Saturday.
    {{gwi:2038835}}

beachdiva - still thinking it looks awfully big, though I know it is smaller than many pools. I'm sure when the water goes in I will think it looks more reasonably sized. I think the thing that throws me off is the depth - 7' 1/2" is a big hole! Also, we have decided to change the Pebblesheen color to Ocean Blue. Much fretting, we hope we will like it. We are going to have them add an extra bag of shells to each load (extra $576 for the color upgrade and $283 for the shells). At this point, we have spent enough on the pool (should come in under $55k) that another $850 doesn't seem like much to get the look just right. We decided to change mainly because a friend of mine just finished her pool and hates how light the finish is. She wishes it were darker and is even talking about refinishing to a different color. I always wanted darker water, but settled for Blue Granite as a compromise for price. I figure there is no reason to come this far and let $850 keep me from having the pool I really want.

Barb - I am going to perform the bare foot test tomorrow - at 110 degrees, it should be a good indicator. We really like the look of the deck, hopefully the temperature will be like spraydeck. No reason it shouldn't, I watched them mix the Pref deck material myself and apply 2 coats + 1 relief coat and sealer. I'll let you know if you can add this to your list of options.

• airborne101
    16 years ago

It looks GREAT Kim. I have a ton of questions about the actual install. You have me thinking now. I'll watch to see if you post more pix, have to leave town, will check next week. Enjoy,
    Barb

• kim_in_lv
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here are a few more pictures from this morning:

{{gwi:2038836}}

{{gwi:2038837}}

{{gwi:2038838}}

It is 104 degrees right now and I can tell a big difference between the decking and our regular cement poolhouse slab. Our pavers on the back porch are also much hotter.

Barb - I watched most of the process, go ahead and give me a ring if you want to low down.

Plaster on Monday - I can't wait.

• vegasmom
    16 years ago

Wow, Kim...I really like that. Not being a fan of either stamped or spray deck, this combination is a great look. It looks like the stamped underneath gives depth the spray deck needs to not look so 'knockdown'. And the coating takes away the need for the shiny finish often seen on stamped.

It makes me think of beach sand. :) I hope you really love it. I may be asking ?'s myself if you don't mind! We have those other deck areas that aren't poured yet...

• anthemguy
    16 years ago

I love that tile/decking combo!!

What is the name of the tile and the spraydecking? Who is your builder?

I cannot wait to see the final picture of the oasis you are building!

• kim_in_lv
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Vegasmom - thanks. Feel free to ask any questions.

Anthemguy - are you from Vegas? We do have a section of town refered to as Anthem ..... I am owner/building the pool - so the builder is me! The sub I used is Wright Brothers - they actually did the gunite, tile and decking. The tile is NPT - style "desert rose" color "sabbia rossa". The deck is a combination of "pacific stone" for the base color and "grand canyon" for the relief.

Thanks to all for the kind remarks.

• kim_in_lv
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I've been meaning to crunch the numbers for a long time to see how much we really saved with the owner/builder process. I came up with the following analysis:

COMPARISON TO BLUE HAVEN BID
    Actual
    Permits 950.00
    Excavation 2,500.00
    Steel 1,705.01
    Plumbing 5,900.00
    Pool Equipment 6,909.99
    Electric 4,000.00
    Gunite 6,268.00
    Tile 2,457.00
    Decking 6,732.00
    Plaster 7,595.00
    Pool Slide 2,244.88
    Safety 3,500.00
    Start-up 400.00
    Solar 4,880.00
    TOTAL 55,091.88

Adjust to
    Blue Haven

Plumbing (1,500.00)*
    Pool Equipment (1,000.00)**
    Decking (4,234.50)***
    Plaster (1,795.00)****
    Safety (3,500.00)*****
    TOTAL (12,029.50)

*Plumbing for 8 extra pool jets $1500 -
    ** Less $500 for dedicated pump to run
    additional spa heads - less $500 price
    difference between standard pump and
    Intelliflo
    ***Decking at 316 sq feet from BH, actual
    was 775 sq ft + spraydeck finish on 240 sq ft
    ****Adjust for upgraded Pebble + extra shells upcharge
    *****Safety not addressed in Blue Haven bid

Equiv. Blue
    Haven
    Permits 950.00
    Excavation 2,500.00
    Steel 1,705.01
    Plumbing 4,400.00
    Pool Equipment 5,909.99
    Electric 4,000.00
    Gunite 6,268.00
    Tile 2,457.00
    Decking 2,497.50
    Plaster 5,800.00
    Pool Slide 2,244.88
    Safety -
    Start-up 400.00
    Solar 4,880.00
    TOTAL 43,062.38

Blue Haven Bid w/in-floor, SWG and Smart Controls 63,678.00

Difference 20,615.62
    % savings 32%

COMPARISON TO ANTHONY SYLVAN BID

Adjust to
    Anthony Sylvan

Plumbing (2,500.00)*
    Pool Equipment (3,500.00)**
    Decking 2,000.00 ****
    Plaster (1,795.00)***
    Pool Slide (2,244.88)*****
    Safety (3,500.00)*****
    Solar (4,880.00)*****
    TOTAL (16,419.88)

*Plumbing for 8 extra pool jets $1500 -
    less $1000 for SWG
    ** Less $500 for dedicated pump to run
    additional spa heads - less $500 price
    difference between standard pump and
    Intelliflo - less $500 for pump for additional water features
    less $2000 for smart controls on spa & wireless controller
    *** Less upgraded color and extra shell charge
    **** Decking less $4500 for square footage adjust + $6500 for grotto
    included in Sylvan bid
    ****Not addressed in Anthony Sylvan bid

Equiv. Anthony
    Sylvan
    Permits 950.00
    Excavation 2,500.00
    Steel 1,705.01
    Plumbing 3,400.00
    Pool Equipment 3,409.99
    Electric 4,000.00
    Gunite 6,268.00
    Tile 2,457.00
    Decking 8,732.00
    Plaster 5,800.00
    Pool Slide -
    Safety -
    Start-up 400.00
    Solar -

Anthony Sylvan Bid w/ infloor & pebble 60,330.00

Difference 21,658.00
    % savings 36%

As you can tell, I love numbers. If my calculations are right, I would expect the pool builder to mark-up the rest of my upgrades 30% to 35%. This would mean my pool would probably cost around $80k to $85k.

We installed our slide tonight and bought some plants for the planters. I will try to post more before I leave town on Tuesday. That's right - I leave town on Tuesday and the rest of my family will get to take the first swim without me :

• anthemguy
    16 years ago

kim, yes I am from anthem as in vegas. Careful or I'll hire you :)

Congrats on the savings, those are VERY impressive numbers!

• johnmgreen
    16 years ago

Should have gone with Blue Haven. I hear they throw in a free logo! Ok, so I have a "twisted" sense of humor.

I'm envious about your numbers and your pool's looking great!

• kim_in_lv
    Original Author
    16 years ago

John - LOL - I should have added at least $1000 to Blue Haven's equivalent value for the desirable logo!

• K Jensen
    16 years ago

Wow kim in lv!! You should go into the business!
    BTW, your pool is looking fantastic... can't wait to see it when it's all done.

• kajones2
    16 years ago

**Waiting patiently for pictures of your interior finish** (& your slide!!) I believe today was the day your finish was going to be done and hopefully you are filling your pool as I type. How does it look?

Kim

• kim_in_lv
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Not so brief update. Monday ...... no plaster crew. Called and they cancelled due to inclement weather (chance of rain in the forecast). Tuesday ..... crew arrives then leaves. I called the plaster company and it seems that the inventory they thought they had in our color was actually of another color. It will take them a couple days to get the "special" rocks in.

Rewind a few days - I've been rethinking our decision to switch from Blue Granite to Ocean Blue. We decided on Blue Granite long ago. Late last week I started to wonder if we want the pool darker. I called the sales person at the plaster company and asked how much it would be to upgrade to Ocean Blue. He gave me the quote and also let me know that Ocean Blue has little sea shells in the mix. He said they twinkle in the light like little diamonds. I got mesmerized by the thought of all those little diamonds in my pool - I asked if you could add the shells to Blue Granite - sales rep says no. I thought the Ocean Blue is awful dark, but I love the idea of the shells............let's go with Ocean Blue. I made this change late last and have worried about it ever since.

Fastforward - I am on the phone with the plaster guy and he says he can't plaster until next week unless........ we want to pick another color. I asked him if he would be willing to switch to Blue Granite - with 2 bags of shells in every batch. He said no problem. I am feeling so much better now, not at all disappointed by the delay.

I will be leaving town tonight and will totally miss the plaster and fill ....... hmmm. Already gave DH directions to let the plaster guys know we would really like them to work on getting the plaster smooth on the steps and benches (will probably emphasize this fact with a $20 bill a piece). The next day when they are finished acid washing and buffing, he needs to emphasize that we want a thourough acid washing (no draining later and re-doing) and extra buffing on any rough spots on benches and steps (also emphasized with a $20 bill a piece). Hopefully this will work - if not, it won't be the first $80 I've wasted on the pool!

I will post when I return - wish us luck!

• vegasmom
    16 years ago

Hope you have a great trip! Can't wait to see the finish. I'm sure it will be beautiful :)

I'm loving our latest weather (we sure needed it) It's delaying our progress, too.. but that's probably a good thing. I'm starting to rethink the precast for my patio and am looking at large porcelain tiles. It's more of a maintenance issue than anything. We'll see...

• joannaturpin
    16 years ago

Loved the decking option -- never heard of that combination before. Any idea if anyone in the Phoenix area does that? We've had a terrible time with chipping, cracking, and flaking with our acrylic coating, so this looks like it would be stronger. Beautiful pool!

• waitingtoswim
    16 years ago

joannaturpin, or anyone else please tell me all about your problems with acrylic as i need to finish my deck and had been planning on the acrylic.

I wish i had heard about this method earlier too as it looks great, exactly what i would have wanted.

does anyone know if it is too late to put a stamp coat over already finished concrete deck so it would look and feel like kims? I just love your deck!!!

• shauney
    16 years ago

god that deck looks great. hopefully mine will come out as nice. i am contracted for an acrylic deck with a knockdown finish (increte systems). i wonder how much more it would cost me to upgrade to a stamped/swirl finish?

• kim_in_lv
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OK - I'm back from vacation! I only have a few minutes though as work clients are demanding time (bummer when there is a pool at home calling my name!). I just wanted to post a few pictures of the mostly finished pool. DH took the pictures while I was on vacation. I will see if I can take more and post a finished pool thread once we get the landscaping in and everything put together (maybe next week). We have our final inspection today. Everything looks great and is working well. I haven't had an opportunity to swim yet (too much work to be done). Hopefully by this weekend!

{{gwi:2038839}}

{{gwi:2038840}}

{{gwi:2038841}}{{gwi:2038842}}

{{gwi:2038843}}

{{gwi:2038844}}

• beachdiva
    16 years ago

Wow! That came out just beautiful!! Your design and choice of materials came together really nicely. It only could have been better if you had that BH logo on your step ;-) KIDDING!!! Have fun swimming as soon as you're caught up. Do you still think it's too big?? It looks just right.

• kajones2
    16 years ago

Awesome!! I knew it would turn out great. All your color combinations, deck, finish, etc. look very nice together. Wish I had that slide!! Hope you are able to take a break and enjoy it with your family. Here your pool started after mine and I'm still at the tile stage. Footers are supposed to be poured this week and then it's pavers, screen, solar, & finish. Unfortunately it's been raining everyday and the PB is also doing the pool next door so it's taking a little bit more time.

• kim_in_lv
    Original Author
    16 years ago

beachdiva - thanks! I don't think it is too big now. I'm thinking the depth gave me the perception that it was bigger than it is.

gotpool - don't get discouraged at your progress. There is a benefit to having someone else take care of the details! We have been living this pool build day and night.

• airborne101
    16 years ago

Finally back on line, it looks fabulous dahling ! Whats that stone you sneaked in on us around the spa? No trying to fool us, I studied those pictures : ) Looked at your numbers, so Walt was right - 30 to 40% savings. NIce. You can use my name to Anthemguy to recommend Walt as well. I don't know if I know any of your subs, but it looks like they did a good job for sure. I love the pool color, now a picture with the sun on it so we can see true color. Go grab a cold beverage and take a dip, you deserve it. Cheers, Barb

• bella-orlando
    16 years ago

Your pool came out awesome! Can you please take a picture of the logo on the step?

• mindy_e_in_az
    16 years ago

Beautiful!! Absolutely gorgeous! There is nothing I don't like about your pool -- except maybe the fact that it's in your backyard and not mine. ;)
    We've been tossing around the idea of going the owner/builder route. Reading through your post is very encouraging.

• PRO
    PulteGroup
    16 years ago

kim_in_lv,

Great pool!

Quick question on your pool house/lanai. Have you had any issues from the inspectors related to electrical within 10' of the pool? I have a similar design (approved by the municipality in Henderson), but was just told by my electrician that I am not allowed by code (NEC) to have any outlets within 10' of the pool....

Much appreciated,

MzenBlu

• mdoceanblu
    16 years ago

kim_in_lv, Beautiful pool Came out great! Hello Barb In Vegas now on business and a little R&R to visit my grandfather. OT What has happened to the housing market?
    Just pulled our house here in Vegas off the market after a year and three price drops. Wasn't beeing greedy. Time to take a dip in the pool.

kim_in_lv, Hope you all enjoy your new pool. :)

• airborne101
    16 years ago

Hope all is well Kim, haven't seen you post. I don't want to hijack your post but to respond to mike and mzen.
    Yes Mike the market is well off, over 26k houses are on the MLS now. You picked a good time to visit, great weather!

Mzen, I have electrical with GFI within 8 feet of pool edge. pool is 14 years old. Building codes were revised in 2006 and all jurisdictions in the valley are updating to meet them. Henderson is the easiest to deal with, they were right on top of all changes we needed for permits for patio covers and concrete, we don't do electic. I would double check with Henderson as they are the ones that sign off on permits. Be glad you aren't in the city of LV, they are a nighmare to deal with right now. Kim is in Boulder City.

I'm going to start another post to Vegas members regarding theft so I don't take over Kims build. Barb

• vegasmom
    16 years ago

Kim, congratulations! It's so beautiful and I bet you all are enjoying every minute you're outside now :)

I've been out of town so catching up on everything. I'm being indecisive all of a sudden with tile so we're in a holding pattern right now.

Barb, you've got me curious. I'll be looking for your post....

• John R
    13 years ago

Is there any chance you can post your subs? I want to do an OB Pool here in Las Vegas (Sunridge area), and would love to know who you used (although some might be bankrupt by now :(

JS