Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to select a slide pump?

Posted by jscozz (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 12, 12 at 1:30

Looking for some help in figuring out how to size a pump for a custom slide. The slide has dual 1" inlets and requires a total of 80 GPM. I will have a dedicated pump for this slide. Dedicated drains, 3" plumbing from pool to pump and from pump to slide (in case I use a different slide later that needs more water). It will split into two 1" feeds at the slide. Manufacturer recommends a valve on each feed to adjust flow.

Question is, one PB is quoting a 2hp, single speed pump. Looking at the flow charts, and estimating TDH around 30-40?, it seems like this pump will push over 150 gpm!!! That seems like way too much!

How can I properly estimate TDH and get the proper sized single speed pump? And, silly question, but if I got a bugger pump than needed, and adjusted the valves at the slide to limit flow, does that have a negative impact on the motor?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to select a slide pump?

mas985 did a very nice workup on TFP that should help.

Gardenweb doesn't seem to like anyone posting TFP links, which is short sighted of them, IMHO, but that is another issue. Somehow, they have it in the Spam site list. You believe that, right?

They have a Pump Basics section in Pool School and the more detailed thread that mas985 wrote titled: Hydraulics 101 - Have you lost your head.

Most of the time, a return is also plumbed in the pool to direct excess flow into the pool.

A 2" line can't handle more than 100 GPM at 10 feet per second so I wouldn't sweat the 150 gpm @ 35 feet of head. Here is a link to a pipe size chart:

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/pvc-schedule-40-pipe-friction-loss-diagram-d_1147.html

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here