Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
babs711_gw

Digging up a pool that's been filled in??

babs711
15 years ago

We know that the home we're in now used to have a pool in the backyard. One of the previous owners filled it in. We're thinking that sometime either this year or next, we'd like to have a pool built. Does anyone have any idea what this would involve? Would it be the same as just digging up for a new pool or would they have to put the pool in the exact same spot? I'm sure it wouldn't be where or how we would want it now. Has anyone had this issue? Thanks.

Comments (7)

• barco
    15 years ago

Go to the city and look up the plans and find out where the pool is suppose to be and if you like the shape and placement. They should have filed plans and permits if this is recent history. They you will be better able to decide.

I don't think it has to be in the same spot. However, the pool company, I would think, would likely want to charge you more to demolish parts of that old pool that end up being in the way of your new one. The more they have to crack and haul away, the more they charge. I would be upfront with them and make sure its included as a part of your PB contract no matter what they find.

• babs711
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Can you tell me where I would to to look up this information? I'm not sure where to start?

Let's say it IS in a good spot and we can keep it where it is...would they not need to tear it up? I mean it can't be in good condition, right?? Obviously, I'm new at this! Thanks so much for your help and advice!

• barco
    15 years ago

The same place where you get the permit to build the pool. Just go online and look up your city government pages.

I don't know the answer of whether you can undig a pool shell and reuse it. I think it would have alot to do with how long its been down there, how old it is and what building standards it was built to. Concrete is pretty permanent and a pool filled with water or filled with sand I would think would be subject to a lot of the same forces of nature.

However, I think it might cost the same to undig one though as to build a new one...

However, you really are going to need to know exactly where it is in terms of building a new one....

• snookums
    15 years ago

Many pools are broken up before they are filled in. Something else to consider, and something which would make your excavation costs through the roof.

• babs711
    Original Author
    15 years ago

If it was broken up first, why would that make excavation costs more expensive? Wouldn't that be just like digging for a virgin pool? I guess I'm worried more about it being in the wrong spot more than anything else. I know the previous owners (right before us) extended a patio. It's concrete and nice. Then we had it covered. I'd hate for the patio to be covering the pool. If the pool is far enough out, then we're OK I suppose? But would I be able to tell if it was broken up??

• snookums
    15 years ago

Because there are likely huge chunks of concrete, rather than just digging up dirt. That means different equipment and more time = more money.

• tresw
    15 years ago

The codes vary widely on this. Some codes allow the pool to be abandoned in place and filled with dirt. Others require the pool to be broken up into pieces which can then be left as fill in the existing hole with select fill being placed over that. Still others require that the entire pool structure be broken up and removed. First I would try to contact the previous owners and find out what was done to the original pool. Then discuss your options with a pool builder. I would forget about trying to restore a pool that has been filled with dirt, there are too many unknowns in that scenario and I seriously doubt any PB would warrant it against leaks.

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County