Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jblairgolf_gw

'Flexible' deck drain? Does that exist?

jblairgolf
16 years ago

Our pool nightmare just keeps on getting worse. We are having a problem with decking. The pool height is not at the right height, and so drainage is now a problem. We have to remove the entire bottom step of our beautiful paver patio or else the concrete will come to the top of the current bottom step instead of below it.

They said I need 60' of this horrible looking deco-drain type of drain running in between the paver patio and the pool in a 'Y' shape. I am just sick over it, and refuse to 'settle' for this.

If I could find some type of 'flexible' drain that could go under the bullnose of the step and curve around to mirror the shape of our patio that would be SO much better, but I don't think it exists.

If anyone has any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated. I have been researching on the internet for hours and haven't come up with any solution. Surely there must be some other way to do it without it being such an eye sore. I am just sick over it.

Thanks.

Comments (16)

• stevenbr
    16 years ago

Good question.... and I'd like some of it too. Similar situation here. Having to create a step up to my curvy pool, and it seems the step is likely to be a nice straight line rather than curve like everything else.

Just that you asked, makes it worth trying to come up with a solution. I'll look also.

Steve

• stevenbr
    16 years ago

What about skipping the deck-o-drain, and using a shower style drain? Just a circle drain with the deck sloping toward it.

• PRO
    Inspectco Construction
    16 years ago

Its old school, but you could always create an open channel drain recessed into concrete below the bullnose. Use built up bender board or trex ripped down as your channel mold and shape/slope it just the way you like it.

I'm not sure how it could be covered if that was necessary but one thing's for sure - cleaning an open drain is a snap.

Joe

• geminijenn
    16 years ago

jblairgolf
    ...I was looking for something else and came across this type of radius drain...I thought it might be what you were looking for.
    Hope it helps. Jenn

Here is a link that might be useful: quakerplastics.com

• jblairgolf
    Original Author
    16 years ago

geminijenn-You are a gem!!!!!!!!! How in the world did you find that? I have spent HOURS looking for something, anything similar to that! I am going to show that to them tomorrow. I hope that if we go this route, I would be able to get this sent to me asap. Hey, it's my birthday today (June 3rd) and this was the perfect present! THANKS!

einmea-I think those drains look a heck of a lot better than what my concrete guy is proposing. I assume that there is piping under that. Where does it empty out at? I can't tell from your picture, but I like what you did I am guessing on your existing patio....diagonal lines. Looks great!

• eimea
    16 years ago

Our PB also suggested some type of drain that made me freak out...

We had an existing freeform stamped concrete patio with an 18" brushed concrete band. We decided to demo the 18" band and pour the new deck right up against the old. The drains run into the existing drains in our landscaped area that utlimately runs into the front yard and into the gutter.

I found more pictures of the drains, the deck pour, etc. There are actually 8 drains in the pictures and one they added later because of a pretty big puddle, so a total of 10. I was not thrilled with the drains at first, but the alternative was not looking too good and we needed the drainage.

Here is a link that might be useful: Decking Pour

• jblairgolf
    Original Author
    16 years ago

eimea-Thanks so much for your photos. You are a doll! Yes, I am totally freaked out about the 60 feet of drain right in front of the paver patio. They are trying to discourage me from the types of drains that you have saying each area that a drain is placed into will slope quite quite a bit. How much do you notice the 'sloping' of the immediate area that the drain is put into? It looks to me like it is a marginal slope, and not one tht you would notice too much when walking. Am I correct?

I still think with all of the problems that we are having that maybe pavers might be the way to go, but in our area the cost is a lot higher than stamped concrete. I might just reduce the size of my decking a bit to compensate for the additional cost.

• eimea
    16 years ago

There is a small slope at each drain, but nothing terrible. I can see it (because I am a nit-picker) but no one has ever commented and not enough to feel when walking over them.

• jblairgolf
    Original Author
    16 years ago

aimea-Thanks again for your reply. Today I had another contractor out to talk to me about pavers. He seems to think we have all of the drainage issues that everyone else has said we will. BUT, he is the only one that came prepared. If his price comes in within my 'new' budget, I am going to go with him. We have a very real possibility of having major problems down the road if we go with concrete. They had to move our pool, yes, it was violating an easement, and we have a huge void that will have to be back filled. There is a strong possibility that we could have a lot of settling down the road, and so my dreams of a beautiful stamped concrete deck is gone, along with many others. At least pavers can be removed without too much of a problem. Concrete, well that's a different ballgame.

• jblairgolf
    Original Author
    16 years ago

eimea-Would you be able to send me these photos to my email address at
    jblair3903 at aol dot com
    Thanks a million!!!!!!!!!!!

• jblairgolf
    Original Author
    16 years ago

eimea-No need to send the email, but how long ago did you do this? Have you had any cracking? I read on another thread that they suggest putting diamond shape cuts around each drain to help avoid cracking, but that wouldn't look very attractive.

Thanks.

• eimea
    16 years ago

We do not have any cracking near the drains - at all.

• jennifer_in_clyde
    16 years ago

We have the same drainage system as eimea does - no cracking now in over a year - including over a huge area of backfill (we had a deep end exit ramp that essentially meant our entire back patio area is built over 7-8 feet of fill...we compacted and kept wetting down the area as it filled in, put down a 6-8 inch deep "road base gravel" and then used rebar in the concrete pour - honestly not only do we not have any cracks near the drain - we have none outside of the planned control cuts). Our concrete guy did a good job with slopes - when I look for them I notice that we slope toward the drains but I don't notice it at all walking on it - and we dont' have any areas of pooling.

I liked this solution a LOT better than deck-o-drain for our yard/pool.

Funny how you wanted concrete and are worried about cracking because of the fill and are looking at pavers - we really wanted pavers - but in my area were getting quotes DOUBLE the cost of stamped colored concrete...we just couldn't pay $20-25+ per square foot! I'd been worried about the concrete over our fill - but the concrete has been in for a week shy of a year now with no problems.

• nicmeg
    16 years ago

Hi I just bought the Super drain from company in Florida they were great and shipped quickly to California. To make bends I used a blow torch and heated up the PVC pipes. Take a look at this stuff it is nice looking and fits into the 1 1/2" PVC

http://www.advancedsurfaces.com/English/S/SuperDrain.html

• jblairgolf
    Original Author
    16 years ago

jenniferinclyde-Our hole is enormous! About 25' x 12' x 10' deep. They are only going to used small stone, no rebar, I asked, and they said not necessary. Everything is 'not necessary' because they are haveing to pay for the fill due to the fact that they placed our pool within a city easement. Day before the gunite I caught it. It has been a nightmare ever since. I did look at the Quaker Plastics that someone so kindly found for me, and told the PB about it. He relayed the info to the concrete guy, and they acted like they knew all about it. He ordered the 'curved' drain sections from Quaker Plastics, but I am going to send him an email tonight saying that if it doesn't work, I want the 'shower type' drains, NOT the deck o drains. No thank you.

nicmeg-That sounds like a great idea, but I can promise you they would never go to that much effort. I am going to look at the site. Thanks.