Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
filter pump won't start

Posted by mashmasher (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 15, 10 at 0:44

My pool filter pump (pentair) is just over a year old and it just turns hums then stops, It just happened and I have to wait until Wednesday for the pool builder to look at it. What are your guesses on what is wrong? the baskets are all empty and the cartridges weren't clogged.

How long does it take water to get to unsafe levels without the filter running in hot weather?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: filter pump won't start

I recently had a similar issue on my pump and it is only a couple years old. It is likely the capacitor which in my case was an easy fix. I checked to make sure there were no obstructions and then checked that the impellor could freely rotate ( of course making sure that the motor could not be accidentally started while my hand was insude). Took the old capacitor to pool store and got a replacement ($30). My pool went a few days without the pump as it happended over memorial day weekend, i just poured some shcok in the pool to hold it over but that is not based on anything except it was the suggestion when we lost power during the hurricane a couple of years ago.

Matt

o

I hope that is the case, where is the capacitor?

o

On my pump it is the only thing sticking out on the top of the motor portion of the pump (I have a Jandy Stealth - you can look at pictures online and see the protrusion on the back end/motor portion on the pump). it is at the 12 o'clock position on the motor and has a cover and gasket held on by 2 screws. Let me know the brand and model of your pump and if I can tell from online pictures I will let you know where it might be.

Matt

o

Be careful, capacitors can hold a charge. Make sure the power is off, and discharge the capacitor by laying the blade of a screwdriver across the terminals. This will short any remaining charge to ground. Then it is safe to handle the capacitor.

o

Apparently it was still under warranty. My pool builder service guy came out swapped the capacity and everything was working again. He left me the old one so I know what one needs to be replaced if it happens again out of warranty time.

o

I have the same thing happening with our pool pump. I have a 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth as well. Our pump just makes a humming noise when turned on, but will not actually turn the impeller inside. The motor gets really hot and will eventually shut itself off. Does this sound like what was happening to yours?

o

It is possible.
Is it still under warranty?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here