Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joyx3

What questions should you ask a PB?

joyx3
15 years ago

We are going to be shopping for our first inground pool this week. What questions are important to ask a pool builder?

Some of the questions I thought of include: How long will it take to build? How long have they been in business? What type of material/equiptment will be used? Warranty?

Since you are on this forum either having gone through the process or going through the process now, what should we stay clear of? What equiptment has a high failure rate? How many drains should be in a pool? How many lights should be in a pool? What is the rule of thumb with the size of the pump horsepower...how big should have 1, 1 1/2 or 2 horsepower? Is a varable speed pump really better than a 1 speed pump? Which type is more energy efficient? What coping to stay away from? Are the salt colorinators harder on the equiptment and/or decking and pool itself? What options should you have or stay away from? Did you put in a diving board or slide...is it more trouble than it is worth?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Comments (10)

• tresw
    15 years ago

Hello and welcome! Check out the below thread on TFP, it's a great place to start.

Regarding specifics on number of drains, pump size, etc. you really need to determine the size, shape and depth of the pool first. What I did to get started was talked to a PB first to get a general idea of what size and shape I wanted, then jumped on here and TFP and did lots of searches on equipment. I spent many, many hours reading old threads here and on TFP. I made lots of notes during that time. After doing a substantial amount of research I then came on here and posted questions that I couldn't find answers to. It's a lot easier to get answers to specific questions.

Check with your insurance company before considering a slide or diving board. Some will not cover your pool if you add one or the other.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: How to select a pool builder

• gorilla_x
    15 years ago

joyx3,

Tresw gave good advice, and an informative link. I have some additional info for you...

- You always want 2 main drains, even if they are Tee'd, for safety. They are required in Florida.

- Lights and placement is pool size/shape dependent. LEDs are usually not as bright as standard bulbs (incandescent/halogen). I think I read here that an LED is good enough to shoot a beam 30'.

- Pump size is also pool size dependent. But beware: some PBs will give a larger pump than waht is actually needed... it the "bigger is better" mentality. Unfortunately, is the pump is not sized too large, you'll waste electricity

- If you have a spa, then you should get either a 2-speed pump or a variable speed (or variable flow) pump. The higher speeds will be used for spa action, and the low speeds used for for filtering the pool. It is better to filter your pool on low GPM, and for long hours... saves electricity.

Example: lets say you have a single speed pump and can turn the water over in 8 hours. With a variable pump, you filter for twice as long (16 hours), and still turn the water over once. Electrical bill will be 50% less with the 16 hour turnover in this example.

- I've read here that salt systems cannot be used with certain types offlagstone.

- What options to have, or stay away from? That's a tough one because there are some features that folks like, regardless of cost. And if folks want it, it's money well spent. Plus, some options are godd for some, but not others.

Our situation:
    One PB was pushing the Polaris pressure cleaner for $1200 (included a dedicated pump for it). We don't have a leave issue, so for us, it was not worth it.

Not a fan on in-ground cleaning systems because of the price. But that's me. I am cheap :)

LED lighting is neat because you can change the color of the pool at night. Is it worth the $500 per light upgrade? It was for us.

Salt system: We wnrt with a chlorine feeder, but may put in a salt system IN THE FUTURE. Initially, the salt system price was high, and I did not think it was worth the cost.

Baja Shelf: They look awesome and are great if you have kids. But for us we opted not to get one. Plus, PBs charge a lot for this option. To verify, ask your pool builder to price a standard pool at, say, 400 SF. Also ask for a price on a 450 SF pool. Lastly, ask for a price on the 400 SF pool with a 50 SF baja shelf. The pool with Baja will be the highest, at least in our situation.

-Gorilla

• sandradee
    15 years ago

Joyx3...What state are you in? Some states like mine require no licensure for pool contractors; any Joe Blow can hang up a shingle and go into business as a pool contractor. Obviously, you'd have to be more careful in your selection of a pool builder.

Someone posted previously that one could go to the city offices and ask for the current building permits for a particular contractor. If that's possible, try to contact the people who currently have a pool under construction with your potential PB. Ask about their experiences thus far. It should be eye-opening.

• joyx3
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you so much for your advice. Please, keep them coming.
    Tresw, Thank you for the link
    Gorilla, Thank you for telling me about your experiences and for your advice.
    Sandradee, Thank you for your warning and advice. All the more reason to use the established PB's in the area.

• rossterman
    15 years ago

With the ever escalating cost of electricity, it's more important then ever that the builder designs the circulation loops to right size the equipment and maximize the efficiency of the entire system. Better pool builders know how to calculate pressure drop, read pump curves and determine what piping sizes/equipment/circulation rates are optimal to minimize friction loss and pressure drops (which just waste energy and cost money). I'd ask to see calculations to prove he/she isn't just giving it the "we always use this size pump" approach (which can result in oversized equipment)

• joyx3
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Gorilla, What type of Flagstone should you not use with a salt system?

Rossterman, Thank you for the helpful information. We most definitely want the pool equipment as energy efficient as possible. We have spoken to a couple of PB's and we are probably going to get a pool around 450-500 sq ft (give or take a few feet). Is it better to have a rectangular shape or a kidney, free formed shape to maximize equipment efficiency? Given the 450-500 sq foot size, what type horsepower, piping size, circulation rate should we expect to give us the most efficiency? We are looking to put in a pool without heat or a spa, would a variable rate pump be better?
    Also, where can I get the calculations you mentioned to make sure, we are not missing anything and will not have any surprises in the future with energy costs or equipment failure, etc? Thanks!

• gorilla_x
    15 years ago

joyx3,

I recall Oklahoma flagstone being non-compatible with salt, but Tennessee flagstone is okay.

-Gorilla

• joyx3
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Gorilla, Thank you for the info on the flagstone.

• rossterman
    15 years ago

shape of the pool is less of an issue (but you do wnat to have inlets/skimmers placed to ensure good circuation). For maximizing efficiency and proper sizing pumps, you'll need to calculate the pump head (friction from piping, fittings, etc and then look at pumping curves for some potential pumps you are selecting from to determine the total circulation (GPM) you want. Recognize that the smaller the pipe (or more elbows) the higher the friction (head) and longer the the pump will have to run to circulate the equvelent amount of water (= more $). For example the friction loss using 1 1/2" vs 2" PVC. Here's some info on calcuating head and an example of a pump curve
    http://www.fluidh.com/WebCalcPumpHead.htm
    http://www.jandy.com/html/productsupport/launchManual.php?url=SHP_curve.pdf

• repair_guy
    15 years ago

"We are going to be shopping for our first inground pool this week. What questions are important to ask a pool builder?"

Here is my favorite...

Q: What will the local city inspectors say about your work?

If you want a good job, flag one down some day and ask them. They will tell you exactly how good a guy is. If they tell you they continually come back for re-inspections, run like the wind.