Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hi temp pump fittings for 1HP pump?

Posted by ChipinCT (My Page) on
Wed, May 23, 12 at 23:06

I need to re-plumb my pump on in-ground pool. I have a 1HP WhisperFlo pump with standard 2" PVC fittings, but two of the fitting broke.

I know that if a pump ever runs dry (mine did due to a float getting stuck in the skimmer wier door!), the water inside the volute gets extremely hot. I've also seen that some manufacturers make high-temperature pump fittings just for this purpose.

My question - are the high temp fittings worth the investment?

Also, I have Praher fitting now and I can't find them anywhere in USA!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hi temp pump fittings for 1HP pump?

A threaded Schedule-80 6" nipple on a pump's exhaust is all you need for this. Any plumbing supply will have it.

Praher is in the US and are in the distribution channel. What fittings are you looking for?

Scott

o

I need (2) 200-100 and 200-900. I did get in touch with John Viers at Praher and he sent me the 200-906 which is the hi temp replacement for what I had in there (200-900) - the standard temp.

What about the pump inlet? Good to use schedule 80 there too?

Can you point me to one online retailer with the 200-100? I can't find any that ship to CT! I've also called every pool store in the area and they all require special order. If I am going to special order, I'd like to do it "right" this time and that may include NOT using Praher parts since they are not readily available... at least for me...

BTW - their web site show CANADA as their location for pool products:
Praher Canada Products Ltd.
101 Saunders Road, Barrie, Ontario L4N 6E7 Canada

Thanks for your reply!

o

Steam rises. Only the pump exhaust can be affected.

Regular fittings need not be Praher brand. HD and Lowes have pressure rated fittings and pipe. Flush unions are frequently Hayward's since they are easy to get at any pool store.

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here