Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pd2911_gw

Blue Haven Pools

PD2911
11 years ago

Anyone on this forum live on the Alabama Gulf Coast and have a pool built by Blue Haven? If so please share your experience. If you are in this area any GOOD pool builders you have used?

Any help appreciated!

Comments (17)

• burned
    11 years ago

I used Blue Haven Pools north east. I had a horrible experience. I can only believe there could be no oversight from a corporate perspective. I suggest looking online in other locations (reviews) as well. There is a lot of dissatisfied folks out there for a reason. They will tell you its because of all the pools they build but that's crap. A good company would do the right thing to satisfy a customer or resolve their mistakes fairly.
    I found a lack of communication with no documentation on follow up decisions or changes and they lied every time they made a mistake (and it was often). Their design was wrong, they wouldn't provide or commit to a timeline and they withheld information during the contract which has you paying about 90% of the pool before it's done with little to no recourse. They told me it would take 90 days or so and it took them over a year to complete. A totally unprofessional organization from the owner to the moron on site.

• PD2911
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for responding. I appreciate you sharing your experience.

• poolguynj
    11 years ago

BHP has independent franchises all over. The main office is relatively near me in eastern Pa. and, while they have their share of foopars, they do build a nice pool.

Other franchises seem to have a lesser reputation as accountability is pretty lacking.

Some things I like about their pools and processes, some things I don't. They all seem to use similar engineering specs (usually like) and rebadged Hayward gear (dislike mostly).

Different franchises have different reputations as far as getting the job done and in setting and meeting expectations.

Checking with the BBB is only a part of knowing how the builder you do choose might be for your project. Angie's List, local contractor boards, references visited, etc... are needed for this, regardless of the builder. There are very few that I would trust and they happen to participate here. Big shock, right?

Scott

• PD2911
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you or the response Scott!
    The Blue Haven franchise in my city has been accredited withe the Better Business Bureau since 2001 with an A+ rating. I have been given a list of references to call in our county and the neighboring county. I have an appointment with the BH Sales Rep next week to visit residential customers to see their pool and that includes a pool under construction. I will be going to the BH office to meet the franchise owner and the construction manager also. I told the rep in our meeting yesterday that I wanted to do this. She did not hesitate to agree. I have my quote and have been shown my pool plan on CAD. So far things are looking good with this office of Blue Haven.

• poolguynj
    11 years ago

Don't just use the BBB. Really! If they are members, BBB wants their dues which can jade things.

Scott

• renovxpt
    11 years ago

The BBB is a joke. I would give their grading system an
    F-. Everytime I write the dues check it feels like I'm paying the mafia extortion money.

• PD2911
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Scott & renovxpt
    No, I did not make my choice to go with Blue Haven because of the BBB
    rating. I spoke with a client who just had a pool completed by Blue Haven. The rep gave me a list of references. The Blue Haven office just re-surfaced their pool so I was able to view that. I m going with the sales rep on Tuesday to view other residential pools they built. I met again with the sales rep today and the owner came with her to my home. So far there is nothing but good experiences with them in this area. I have only found
    one complaint from 2006. I addressed that with the owner today.

• poolguynj
    11 years ago

See pools in various stages of completion and various ages. too.

Its good to know there is another decent BHP out there. We have heard a number of horror stories from around the country too.

Still, don't depend on the BBB.

@reno - I refuse to pay the BBB extortion. I look at it as a marketing gimmick and don't make any bones aobut saying it and backing it with evidence. Pay the dues so we can find you not at fault if a customer complains games aren't my cup of tea. They want the money, pure and simple.

Scott

• burned
    11 years ago

I might also suggest asking to talk to clients where things didn't go so smoothly. A good company is determined not only on the number of completions that run smooth, but also how they handle situations that arise during the process. If there is a problem and they don't want to fix it your stuck. You can't withhold payment, they won't come back. At any phase of the work they have more of your money than needed so chances are you will lose.

• PD2911
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the imput!

• Fori
    11 years ago

Hmmm! My pool has a tile on it reading "Blue Haven Pools". Think it could be the same company? Were they building pools in the San Francisco area in 1961? If it is, all I can say is after 50 years you might have to replaster! :P

Kidding of course, but I wonder if they've been around that long!

• poolguynj
    11 years ago

Yes, it is the same company.

Scott

• topfiftybuilder
    11 years ago

Burned it would be great if you tell everyone who you are so I can correct the fiction you write.... wrong design? no documentation ?? withheld information ??? A year to complete????..... C'mon!!! ... LOL... I have to call BS... BS... BS... BS... BS...

• apdnj
    11 years ago

Blue haven NE did mine and I have zero complaints. Smooth, attentive build and great response when called upon. Pool finished right on schedule and looks great.

• PD2911
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have missed a few days checking in. My pool build started on Tuesday, May 22, 2012 with Blue Haven Pools of the Gulf. As of Wednesday the 23rd it is dug, plumbed, steeled and waiting for tomorrow's inspection. Gunite will be done on Friday. I could not be more pleased! The Construction Manager and the crews have been wonderful to work with. Kind, courteous and communication is exceptional. So excited that the project is moving along so quickly.

• PD2911
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Started a new thread for the pool build:
    New Pool Build - AL Gulf Coast - May-June 2012