Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kool Deck Paint or Stain

Posted by alan_gardener (My Page) on
Thu, May 3, 07 at 22:38

I have Kool Decking around my pool that is looking very weathered and I'd like to paint/stain it. I was going to use Behr 1-Part Epoxy on it(says on the brochure that it's for Kool Decks) but Home Depot said that it would bond well and look good but would take away from what the Kool Decking does - ie - stay cool. I was told the same thing about stains from a Glidden sales rep. I went to a pool supplies company and picked up some Xcel Surfaces Top Coat to use instead. Regarding this, I was told that it would only last 1-2 years. So, my question is, can I paint/stain my Kool Deck or is it of such a different chemical composition that it won't take staining/painting well? I would like to roll something on that lasts and resists the hot sun here in Arizona. Thx for the help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kool Deck Paint or Stain

Mortex sells a Kool Deck repair kit and you can choose your collor. They are the makers of Kook Deck so that might be your best bet.
http://www.mortex.com/products/kxrk.html

If you have time, drop in to my site below and post a picture of your deck. Myself or another member may be able to give you a better answer

Here is a link that might be useful: pool help

o

Personal experience- hate Mortex, it peeled. Xcel top coat is great and should last longer than 1-2 years. Pressure wash first and remove and patch any bad old kool deck. We're in the Vegas area so weather is similar, good luck. Barb

o

I have a Spraycrete Deck, but I think it's just a different name for the same thing. I was given one of the sheets with around 10 colors to pick from. I wanted a different color, and they told me that they don't often tell customers this, but they get the paint from Porter Paints and that I could choose any Porter Paint color and they could use it. Might be worth checking into. BTW, my deck is always cool, even in the Florida summers.

Kristen

o

What about a solvent based stain on clay coping and concrete pool deck? Need color to hide previous application of latex paint.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here