Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cdavmd

Our pool build

cdavmd
15 years ago

Well I have been asking questions here and there. We are about halfway there so I thought I would share some pics. We started a week before Thanksgiving. Got to gunite by Dec 18 and have been sitting ever since. Finally the rain and thaw is over and we should be getting our pavers next week. My friend went ahead and put up the retaining wall and steps in the last couple of days. Here is where we are so far.

Thanks everyone for all the previous help and comments.

David

Comments (20)

• smbnobles
    15 years ago

It's always so strange to see pools filled with snow! Not something I see here in Houston, Texas!

Your pool looks like it's going to be beautiful! I love the retaining wall! I instantly envisioned something colorful draped over it.

• cdavmd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks smbnobles, it was amazing how much snow filled into it, the day after that picture we got another 18 inches.....it was nearly to the top. Eventually we will get to the landscaping and colors over the wall. We are very happy with it, my friend who is a contractor put it up in 2 days. Saved me a bunch of money, now we are just waiting for the pavers....supposed to be on Monday. Then will come the waterfall and natural stone on the far end adjacent to a berm. Lastly the pebble tec...we are leaning toward midnight blue. Just hope we can be done by early June.

• tresw
    15 years ago

Great pool, and that retaining wall is awesome! The stairs really frame the view to the pool nicely. That wall will give a nice sense of privacy to the pool as well.

• firsttimepool
    15 years ago

Very beautiful view. Look forward to seeing more pictures.

• cdavmd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for all the comments. We are anxiously awaiting next week hoping they really get to "work". tick tock tick tock

• susannap2
    15 years ago

What a beautiful view looking down into the pool! Cannot wait to see the final pictures!
    What are the specs on your pool?

I agree with smbnobles, sooo wierd to see snow in pools!

• cdavmd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks susannap2, well the specs have changed a bit from the starting plan, originally it was to be a 36 x18 freeform...more kidney shaped. There is a tanning shelf as the first step and the spa was to be on a raised beam on the opposite side of the pool, exactly opposite to the tanning shelf. Well during the dig they hit tree stumps on that end. The builder kinda just played around and modified the shape. The pool basically bent around and we placed the spa at the end. The spa is raised and will spill over, but it will be flat with the raised grade area ( we hate the wishing well look). So essentially when you come down the stairs in the picture you will be at the spa level with decking wrapping around. On the left of the spa (from the point of view in the picture) will be a dive rock transitioning into natural stone coping and a waterfall. To the right will be two 6 inch steps down to the pool grade. The area behind the waterfall (left of the pool in the picture from the stair vantage point) will be a natural berm.

so the pool essentially ended up 39 x 19 at its widest shallow end, and a bit narrower on the deep end. We ended up with more shallow than originally planned. It will be 3 to 6.5 feet deep. The perimeter was to be 90, but ended up about 102. Other specs:

1500 sq ft of decking (sandle athena pavers by technoblok)
    Tan bullnose coping
    2 skimmers
    4 floor returns, 4 surface returns
    Pool cleaner port
    Spill over spa 7.5 foot diameter
    Rock water fall
    Two lights
    Cartridge filter
    Salt system
    PS8 automation
    1.5 Hp pump and .75 Hpr booster for spa and waterfall
    Midnight blue pebble tec (we think...haven't made the final decision yet)

Really can't wait until its done! I will post pics as things progress.

• cdavmd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Finally! some work is going to happen after coming to a halt in December. The only thing keeping us going was my friend putting up the wall for us. They are here this morning to put on the coping and finish the grading for the pavers.....should have some new pictures tonight.

• cdavmd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well they did the coping and the tile today, we were quite surprised. They goofed on the spa however, it was supposed to be an open spillway, but they covered it with the coping. They said they will fix it on Tuesday. Here are some updated pics:

• momof3littleboys
    15 years ago

Your pool looks great. I really like your color choices and that wall you had built is great.

Your property looks so nice. Where are you located?

Keep the pics coming.

• cdavmd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you momof3,glad you like it. It's slowly coming together, it will be nice to have this mess all done soon. We are in Massachusetts, just south of Concord. I should have some pics of the pavers next week. Fingers crossed.

• cdavmd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well I thought I posted this already...but never saw it come up. They came and installed the equipment today. Electric tomorrow and stone coping waterfall tomorrow and Saturday. Slowly inching toward completion. Here are some boring pics of equipment.

• cdavmd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, we have our waterfall and stone coping. Water fall needs a couple more stones to hide the spout. Next week the deck, finally the pavers are here. 3 days they said to put the pavers down, then fence, pebble, fill....getting closer.

• birdbath
    15 years ago

OK, this is the first time I've seen this thread. BEAUTIFUL!! The stone work is really magnificent - I agree with tresw, plants draped over that wall would be breathtaking. Your waterline tile is similar to mine, and I can't wait to see your midnight blue color! Keep posting!
    By the way, my husband is from Worchester, MA. and moved out here a few years ago. Gotta love those people from Mass!

• moocat
    15 years ago

Looks amazing so far...love the natural look of the tile colors and how it matches the coping so perfectly...even the stones seem to pick up the same colors.. Good luck !

• cdavmd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Birdbath, we are just east of worcester by about 45 minutes. I noticed our tile was very similar to yours and we are striving for that natural blend with the stone. By the way, we moved to Mass about 8 years ago....prior to that I had lived in Phoenix for a while. Never forget those gorgeous skies and the rugged beauty of the dessert.

Mocat, thanks also....yes....my stone mason is amazing in that he picked out rocks that have the exact colors of the tile and coping....the pics don't show how matched they really are...especially the stone on the left of the spa....he really loves his rocks!

• cruzangirl
    15 years ago

cdavmd: What is the total square footage of your pool? Looks huge (and beautiful) just trying to imagine how mine will look in comparison. Thanks

• cdavmd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi cruzangirl, thanks for the compliment. regarding the size, ahhh...actually I have no clue anymore. When we signed the contract it was for 550 sq ft, 90 ft perimeter. When they hit the stumps during the dig, the builder just kinda made it up. I have wheeled the perimeter at 102 ft, and the longest diagonal (from spa spillway to shallow skimmer) is coming out just shy of 40. The shallow width is about 19, the deep end width is about 12....so not exactly sure. Basically its a weird shape- we ended up with more shallow, and a narrow deep bowl to 6.5 feet rather than the original 8 planned for....basically the pool was just kind made up due to the circumstances of the dig.

• gorilla_x
    15 years ago

Very, Very nice! The stonework is beautiful.

-Gorilla

• cdavmd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks gorilla, actually this thread had the same name as someone else's so I stopped updating to see the most recent pics see "David pool build"
    Thanks again

Here is a link that might be useful: David pool build