Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Really Could Use Some Feedback on Attached Plan

Posted by auggie1020 (My Page) on
Mon, May 12, 14 at 18:40

Hi: We just received the attached pool plan for a new construction home we are building in Atlanta and I would love love love if anyone could provide thoughts, knowledge, feedback on it. We have a large lot (about 1 acre which is pretty large for an in-town neighborhood) and I have the plan, but I just don't know what to look for in all of this. I am also curious as to what the "experts" think about the best heating system. I am leaning toward a heat pump, but we really want to be energy concious. Anyone know which heat pumps are the most efficient and can heat the water even in relatively low outside temps. Thank you so much.

This post was edited by auggie1020 on Mon, May 12, 14 at 20:46

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Really Could Use Some Feedback on Attached Plan

My quick thoughts:

- love that you have three pool lights and they shine AWAY from the house.
- Baja steps are typically the first or second step denying on the owners preference. Know that if you do first step like your plan shows, it is maybe 4-7" of water. Ankle deep with some chairs in it. I personally prefer second step as the baja.
- Shallow end depth. Your plan shows 42"...I assume thats water depth. Im not sure on your coping thickness, but figure out ahead of time (and have a cross section detail) of the step riser heights. I like them all (including the first step from the top of deck down the first step), to all be the same. Our industry lets 12" by as a standard, but I highly suggest 9 or 10" risers.
- I would add a small bench in your deep end for safety and comfort.
- In 10 years I only ever did one ramp. Just make sure you know the expected slope ratio. The easier the decent, the longer it extends into your pool as it is growing deeper.
- The spa spillways are nice, just make sure their is a cantilevered lip to project the water so it doesn't run down the face of the spa. This will help (but probably not eliminate) calcium deposits on the vertical exterior of the spa.

Heatpumps are another animal, and it's ALL about expectations. I encourage whatever heat methods you go with, to get the expected results and temps (and what months) in writing from you builder or salesman.

o

Thanks Natural One. Very helpful!

o

Auggie,

I would love to help you out.

Please feel free to email me @
4fiddy@gmail.com

o

Auggie,

I would love to help you out.

Please feel free to email me @
4fiddy@gmail.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here