Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do I Need New Pump?

Posted by BethRoberts (My Page) on
Tue, May 24, 11 at 17:50

Hello All,

We opened our pool this week, and are experiencing problems with our pool pump. We have an inground 16x32 rectangle pool, with depths ranging from 4 ft to 8 ft. The pump is an AO Smith 1 hp pump (the label says 110/220 V, max load 15/7.5 amps) connected to a Hayward sand-type filter. The pump is connected to a 15-amp circuit breaker, located right next to the pump outside, which is in turn connected to a 20 amp breaker inside the house.

Here's the problem: when turning on the pump via the breaker switch outside, the pump will turn on and prime fine for a while, but then it will trip the switch within about 20-30 minutes. It never trips it right away - sometimes it trips within 5 minutes, but usually within the 20-30 minute range. The weird thing is, like this morning, it will go on for hours until it trips. But so far this year, it trips eventually. Last year I remember we had intermittently a similar problem, although never this frequent - it would run fine for days. The pump is almost brand new - a pool technician installed it end of last year because apparently we didn't have a GFI (we bought this house recently) and whenever there was a thunderstorm the pump would surge and seize right up. We now have a GFI.

The pressure gauge on my filter is currently reading 12 psi - when I turned it on early this morning it read 8 psi, so it seems to be steadily increasing - which may be normal. I don't know what the typical psi should be - this is the first year we are maintaining the pool ourselves, we had a pool guy do it last year.

Additional info: I backwashed and rinsed the filter twice. The pump feels quite warm to the touch - not too hot to touch for a moment, but definitely painful if I keep my hand there for longer than 5 seconds.

Before turning on the pump this morning I cleared around the pool pump some shrub and bushes that were close to it, just to give it more ventilation - perhaps it's overheating and shutting itself off? Is that why it's running ok now?

Anyway - I'm lost why this happens. Any advice would be helpful - thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do I Need New Pump?

bethroberts,
Could be the capacitor on the motor overheating.
Best to call service tech to check. At worst you might need a new motor, but sounds like there may be simpler solution. Have a pro check it.

o

I don't know if it is still the case, but Hayward was having problems with some of their pumps. A 1 HP seems undersized for a pool your size. If the pump is new, call Hayward for a service call.

o

When you say trips the switch are you referring to the breaker or the overload in the motor? It almost sounds like you have a wiring issue not a problem with the motor.
12 psi is ok for your pressure.

o

bethroberts...sorry I can't help with the symptoms you describe...as muddy suggests, I would solicit local professionals to help troubleshoot...my initial reaction was the same as muddy's...a run capacitor problem on the motor.

womanowned...a 1HP pump on a pool this size is actually oversized for basic filtering and chlorination duties. We use a 2 speed pump on our 35K gallon pool and it does most of the work at low speed which is 1/3 HP.

Higher horsepower is only needed for cleaning and skimming tasks which is when we use the high speed for a couple hours each day.

The "bigger is better" one pump philosophy is not true with pool pumps. Multiple smaller pumps is a better solution in my opinion.

bethroberts...sorry for the off-topic response.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here