Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mixman1

New Pool Build, Seabrook, TX

mixman1
13 years ago

Just signed contract for new pool. I will post pic's of the design as soon as I figure out how!

Comments (43)

• mixman1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here is the line drawing and an overhead view. We are making a few changes, but nothing major.

• txmomoftwo
    13 years ago

Nice! Looks great!

• ryan0424
    13 years ago

Hi Mix man 1.

Awsome design. Is that a small pool on the other side of the wall. I luv how you placed the tub and the kitchen.When is your start date? please keep the pics comming.

We are getting spray deck finished tonight. Cant wait.

See ya
    Mark

• mixman1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That is the catch basin for the negative edge. We are going to change the shape of it slightly so that it is not so round. The patio down there is also being changed a little bit. We want to put a fire pit down there and be able to enjoy the water falling over the edge from there. The builder is making bypass circuit for the negative edge pump so that we can control the flow of water over the edge.

We live on a steeply sloped lot that slopes down to a canal.

• mixman1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, Yesterday was step one and the official start of our pool process.
    The soil test!
    Since we are on a steep slope, we have to have piers to support the pool structure.....which means an engineer to design the support structure.....which means a soil test to tell the engineer what is down there!
    Not quite dig day, but we are excited anyway!

• mixman1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Has anyone had a paver patio put in with Belgard Pavers? Can you post pics?
    We are having a hard time deciding on the color/type/pattern to use. Ideally we would break up the different patio areas with different patterns and colors. But there are so many options!!!!

• brentr_gw
    13 years ago

We went with Tremron pavers, estate style. The reason is because we used a combination of 1.5 inch pavers to cover the existing concrete and to match the 3.5 inch pavers. Look at out pool build http://www.thathomesite.com/forums/load/pools/msg0718532217198.html?21
    Hope this helps

• mixman1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow.....finally have engineering and permits.
    Should have started the dig today, but seabrook had to inspect the stake out of the pool??? Why on earth do they need to inspect the stakes?
    Anyway, dig starts first thing in the morning and we can't wait!!!

• mixman1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Halfway through dig day 1

• mixman1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dig went well today, start digging 30 piers at 7am. Concrete for piers at 11am....
    Then more digging for the beams.

• airborne101
    13 years ago

mix, we do pavers and stone, have done Belgard. I would not mix patterns/colors on your project. You will make that gorgeous area look smaller and unplanned in my opinion. You will already have coping, wall cap, facing and risers where you can do different materials. Do the deck in all one paver style. DH just did a job mixed pavers and flagstone, I will try to post a pic, it just didn't flow at all (what the customer wanted tho) hth Barb

• mixman1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Barb,
    Thank you for the advice.....we are still torn on what to do. You make a good point on being careful about mixing styles. We have seen examples that looked spectacular, but we aren't sold on anything yet.

• mixman1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The Digging is done!!!
    Here is a pic after the piers were poured.

And here is one with the beams dug out and most of the forms done.

• mixman1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, I am out of the country, but we finally got gunite. Here are some pics. Can't wait to get home and see it in person!!!

Hot tub:

Shallow end:

Sun Shelf:

Swim up bar shelf:

View from the water:

Infinity edge:

Retaining wall and foundation for grill cabinet:

• mixman1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Has been slow going lately.
    Equipment and electrical is in.
    All the appliances for the outdoor kitchen have arrived and fill all the free space in my garage!!!
    Stone and tile work start Monday.
    STILL haven't made any selections on pavers or pebbletec.
    I like the blue lagoon pebbletec, but haven't seen one in person yet.

• peytonroad
    13 years ago

Thanks for posting, I love to see it go up. My neighbors have the pebblesheen or the pebble tec,(don't know which one)and I recommend upicheck it out before deciding. IT hurts your feet (abrazes the skin) if you kick the wall or misjudge the distance to bottom. My DD has a pea size wound from the side of the pool. It is pretty though!

It will be a really nice shape once done!

• mixman1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We are thinking of going with Turtle Bay Pebblesheen.
    If anyone has pics of Turtle Bay, I would love to see them.

• jasonlmarsh
    13 years ago

Turtle Bay pics I happened to be looking at this morning. :)

• mixman1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

They are doing my tile and coping as we speak!
    I will post pics this evening.

• zuggy333
    13 years ago

Absolutely love it!

• rlcoultas09
    13 years ago

If you have not decided on the pavers, I would consider upgrading to the Travertine paver. Great look and cooler on the feet. You have a beautiful design, I wouldn't stop now!

Robin

• mixman1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Some new pics of the stone work

Coping

Infinity edge wall

Retaining wall

• gaylek
    13 years ago

Any more updated pictures? The retaining wall is beautiful...what I can see!

• mixman1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I will get better pictures soon. The retaining wall is faced with what our builder calls Split-Face limestone. Then capped with the plum mocha slate that is also used for the pool coping. The spa is raised and faced with creek stone. The infinity edge wall is also creek stone. So far, everything is coming out way better than expected.
    Decking starts next week!!!

• gaylek
    13 years ago

Thanks for the update! I look forward to seeing more pictures!

• mixman1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here are some more pics.
    They came and did some MORE excavating for decks and are finishing up running drainage. Also running irrigation lines to flower beds and electrical conduit for landscape lighting. Last thing this week will be utilities to the grill island. Pavers start on Monday!!!!

• gaylek
    13 years ago

Beautiful! I love the stone photos that have the water on the stone. Awesome! Your pool is going to look great! Getting closer and I know you are excited!

• rice_rocket
    13 years ago

Looking very good. Even the plumbing looks neat.

• mixman1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well.....Finally got several days of good weather! Paver forms and base are going in now.
    They are using a cement stabilized sand for the base. It goes in and works just like sand and once it gets wet it sets up hard. You can walk across it without leaving a footprint!
    After it is all in and set up, they can take the forms off and "shape" it as necessary.
    Then they just lay the pavers on it as if they were going over a slab.

Here are a few pics of the base.

• gaylek
    13 years ago

That is going to be beautiful! Know you are excited!

• mixman1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, they came this morning and started laying pavers......then the sky opened up!!!!! UGH!!!!
    They waited in their trucks for about an hour, but the rain never stopped.
    Here is what they got done so far

• gaylek
    13 years ago

You really have major projects all happening at once. It is beautiful pool, pavers etc. everything. Look forward to seeing more updates! I like looking at the pictures and reading about the progress of the pools! Awesome!

• womanowned
    13 years ago

How many months has this pool been under construction?!

• mixman1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well...............
    We signed the contract in the beginning of may. The soil test and engineering took the rest of the month to finalize. UGH!!!
    Broke ground in early June. Here we are 4 months later........
    Seems like the bulk of July was rainy....held up progress. Other than that, there is no reason for it to have taken this long. I will say that everything done on the pool so far is top notch. Nothing is "cookie cutter" at all. I really don't mind the slowness as long as it is all done right.
    The sad thing is, I think it will be after halloween when it is all done. My wife is betting on Thanksgiving!!!!
    Good thing we have a sense of humor about it!!!

• MrsM1992
    11 years ago

Mixman,
    Did you ever post finished pics of your pool? I would love to see them.

• mixman1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here are some photos showing complete construction. We have some issues with the slate coping and will soon be totally replacing the slate tile and coping with a different material. Wherever this slate came from, it is disintegrating into a powder. Really sad, because it is so beautiful. We have 2 friends with the exact same color slate and a couple years older pools, and they have had no problems at all.

• MrsM1992
    11 years ago

Do you have any hard water/ water line issues with the slate that is on the infinity edge? We want to do this on our spa but I am concerned what it will look like in a few years after all that salt water flows over it everyday. Did you do the Turtle Bay Pebble Sheen? It is gorgeous.

• mixman1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No issues there. We have the issue with our slate basically dissolving into a powder, but no problems with hard water or salt deposits. We do have a slight white line around the waterline tile right at the water line. We had that on our last pool as well, and it was not too hard to clean off every once in a while. We haven't even attempted to scrub it off here because we know we are going to replace it.
    Now our challenge is to find a Non-Slate stone that has the dark colors we have fallen in love with.

• mark75501
    11 years ago

This is one of the more creative and beautiful pools I've seen on here. I'm thinking of stealing your design, hope you don't mind!

• mixman1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mark75501..... Steal as much as you like. Be aware that we had a steep sloping lot. And all the different patio levels really fit our yard nicely. There are a few things we would do a little differently now, but not much.

• MrsM1992
    11 years ago

We have an existing slate patio that we are trying to match with the new pool. We are using pennsylvania green flagstone. It doesn't look green to me- just dark gray with rust like our slate. I love the dark colors around the pool, that is what caught my eye on your pool. We are in the North Houston area, so I know the Pennsylvania is available to us here. Check it out, maybe it will look as good to you as your slate.

• mixman1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We are looking at "Scabos" Travertine. Will give the flagstone a look as well. We want a darker color with lots of variation in it. Any other Ideas?

• cessnabmw
    11 years ago

What program can I use to design a backyard pool / landscaping?