Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boscojulie

Trouble with Flagstone Coping

boscojulie
12 years ago

We installed our pool last summer and, although it is wonderful and beautiful, we are having trouble with the flagstone coping and water fall. We live in Atlanta, GA, and have a salt water chlorinator. We are having a good bit of trouble with calcium and salt leaving a white stain all over the stone and water line tile. We are also having a large amount of dust from the coping settle on the pool bottom in certain places, and it has to be brushed/vacuumed daily. I have done some research and have decided to pressure wash and then seal the stone but would like some feedback as to what brands people have had success with. Does anyone have any experience with the DuPont Stonetech Professional Saltwater Resistant Sealer? I read somewhere that it is also a good idea to treat the stone with an impregnator before sealing if it is flaking, which ours is-- any feedback on that? Any other advice? Thanks so much in advance!

Julie

Comments (23)

• muddy_water
    12 years ago

This is the product I used on my own pool and it has held up great. I used the high gloss and it really made my flagstone look great...

Here is a link that might be useful: Sealer

• llcp93
    12 years ago

We have a chlorine pool with flagstone but our town well water has an extremely high salt content. Slat build up is not uncommon where water sprinklers hit a surface regularly. That said, our water from the pool has not been kind to our Oklahoma flagstone.
    We are going to clean ours as well to get up all the loose stuff but not sure how to clean up the rusty areas. The rings probably go too deep but the streaking is not all loose in some area. Just unsightly.

• womanowned
    12 years ago

Salt pools are going out of favor because of the damage they do to natural stone. Consider converting to ozone + chlorine and remove the salt cell.

• poolguynj
    12 years ago

What should be out of style is Oklahoma Flagstone. It isn't a suitable coping.

A zinc anode will help with electrolysis related corrosion.

Proper chemistry will help reduce the calcium scaling.

Ozone has its own set of issues.

Scott

• muddy_water
    12 years ago

I agree with Scott my Tennessee Flagstone has no sign of damage from the salt and My pool is 5yrs old. The old test of hitting it with a hammer and if it pings it's ok for coping but if you hear a dull thud than don't use it has something to it. IMO

• poolguynj
    12 years ago

Wow, Where you been muddy? Welcome home!

Scott

• muddy_water
    12 years ago

I have been in the back looking in. You do such a good job with the questions I just don't need to comment...lol

• poolguynj
    12 years ago

Well, I can sure use the help. It's the start of my busy season!

Scott

• helenhnicholson_verizon_net
    12 years ago

ok our pool is only 5 years old this summer..the salt cell has been replaced among many other parts, the oklahoma flagstone scales like crazy and we can never keep the grout and the tile connnected because of the contracting the flagstone does with heat and cold...so called the pool company out and they did the hammer test(which Muddy above talks about...not sure if he agrees with that test??) and guess what?? they said not only does all our decking need to be replaced(1800 sq ft!!) but coping as well and pool resurfaced?? seriously?? I remodel houses for a business and trust me I know all about natural stone...i do NOT think these products were ever inteneded to be used around pools especially salt water ones...when asking this to pool builder they stare at you blankly and offer NO response!! I am sure its because they still sell it and do NOT tell the customers to steer clear away from it...so now what do i select?? I have stone everywhere...retaining walls etc..im so mad!

• poolguynj
    12 years ago

Salt has nothing to do with it.

Scott

• lookingforapool
    12 years ago

Could it be your water chemistry that's causing the problem?

Before deciding on alternate/replacement materials, I would try to figure out why this happened in the first place - or you might be in the same position again. Some may say the culprit is the salt, while others cite alternate theories. Ask someone that doesn't think it's the salt what they think it could be and check it out. The pool needing to be resurfaced signals to me that it's not the salt, but rather something wrong with maintainence and water chemistry.

If it's truly the salt - the pool builders I interviewed said that the best choice for coping is brick or the old pre-cast concrete forms. Either choice might be a little out-dated when compared to natural stone, but at least nobody has had any corrosion problems!

• swtsae
    11 years ago

@funinthesun1

Did the dupont sealer make your flagstone look any darker or did it change the color of it?

I am considering using the same dupont product. How large is yyour pool? 3 years later does it still bead up the salt water?

• Cindy Rhodes
    8 years ago

http://www.houzz.com/user/funinthesun1-gw I need some help. We are having a pool built. I live in Houston. We are not doing the saltwater. should I have my flagstone pressure washed and sealed before they start with the pebble sheen?

• janteer
    8 years ago

@funinthesun1 @swtsae Did the sealant change the color of the flagstone? We are having a light grey flagstone installed.

• zuhl
    6 years ago

I have some kind of strange flagstone around my pool. It is very wavy and rippled looking. It is literally turning to dust on me. I do not think it has anything to do with the salt pool. It started two winters ago when it rained so much. We were not even using the pool. I sealed it with some stuff called Dek-O-Shield Plus. It worked great. For a month. Then the sealed surface started to debond from the junk stone beneath it. It looks like someone dumped a load of sand into my pool. I have to sweep off the decking around it.

Has anyone seen stone like this before? I don't think it is the right kind of stone of pool use. The installers made the comment that all the stone yards were out of stone and this was all they could get. I am about to be up on my 3 year warranty on the pool and am not sure what I can do about. My builder is very dismissive of it, but I think this was a substandard product installed on my pool. Im pretty good a keeping water chemistry in check so I don't think it is that either.

• PRO
    Mystic Pools, LLC
    6 years ago

This is not natural stone. This Kool Deck. It's a coating put on to "green" concrete to create a textured look but mostly to resist heat to keep your deck cool. It comes in a few colors.

• zuhl
    6 years ago
    No. it is most definitely stone. I have used the leftovers to build edging for flower bed. It does kinda have that cool deck ripple texture though. I've never seen flagstone like it. nor has anyone at any of the stoneyards I took it too when trying match it.
  • PRO
    Mystic Pools, LLC
    6 years ago

Could you post photos of the flower bed edging?

I will stand on my determination of the material based on the previous photo posted. Reason is, I see a white, plastic control expansion joint on the patio. That indicates poured concrete. The "false" joint between the patio and the coping indicates it was poured as a monolithic pour and the joint was made with a mason tool to give the appearance of a separate stone with a profile nose on the inside of the pool.

The krinkly finish is Kool Deck.

In my 30+ years, I have only see a few Kool Deck finishes that have not peeled. It's all about timing when applying this material to provide a lasting finish. So when I see this finish in the present condition, I don't find it unusual to peel/delaminate from the substrate.

• mandyloo81
    last year

Hi we are having the same problem as all of these other pool customers; however, our deteriorating flagstone began 1-2 weeks after fill. Couple things, the pool company came to acid wash the coping bc mastic drops and boot prints were all over the top of the flagstone. We also have a salt pool but are baffled by this stone flaking off the large pieces when we haven’t even had the pool for a month. Please help. Any advice? Pool company is saying it is not defective coping…I’m at a loss and need some guidance. If @poolguynj has experience don’t hesitate to comment.

• fountainbluepools
    last year

This is really interesting. Thanks for sharing!

• llcp93
    last year

There isn’t anything you can do about it. Flagstone is simply a sandstone. Some harder than others. Even with mine, Oklahoma Flagstone, some stones are harder than others as well as the worst ones were the ones that seemed to be the favorite gripping ones in certain locations so not all are affected. The very large piece that covers our grotto (waterfall) has a lot of flaking underneath. I’m sure it would be worse if it ran more often. The travertine we put on top of our grill island has held up perfectly compared. Real stone is great to use. Just be careful what type. I’ll never build another pool but if I did, I would stay away from a sandstone for coping.

• llcp93
    last year

@mandyloo81 also, Scott, the poolguyNJ passed away from cancer many yrs ago. He is truly missed.