Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jsldh_gw

infinity edge question

jsldh
13 years ago

This is my first post. I've been reading the forum for a few weeks now as we are in the process of designing our pool.

We are having a retainer wall of about 2 feet high at the back of our pool since our lot slopes down a little. We decided to add an infinity edge. It will be 13 feet and the catch basin is 4 ft out from the infinity ledge (hope that makes sense).

My question is...will we need anything else for our catch basin other than a pump? I've been reading on-line and have found things mentioned such as an autofill feature and filter. My pool builder said they're not needed. He also said an "additional filter" is not needed. I may sound naive but does the pump act as a filter too? I'm clueless! Can any builders out there enlighten me?

Thanks!

Laura

Comments (11)

• sceadu
    13 years ago

I would ask to see vanishing edges that your PB has built in person. You don't want to be his first. Feel free to email me direct and maybe I can help you along the way.

4fiddy@gmail.com

• just-a-pb
    13 years ago

Not sure what part of the country you are in.

You need an autofill in the basin. Now that can be a simple float valve, or can be an electronic fill like a Levelor. The nice thing about a levelor is the fill line attaches at the pool equipment, and it can even turn on your pump if the water gets too high in the trough, which is a great thing if it is windy, or the kids go in and forget to turn it on.
    As far as a filter it is not totally necessary, but it is benificial. When ever you are swimming the edge pump must be on. Why not use that electricity to filter the water, instead of just moving it. Now the edge pump can be used to run a multiple of different waterfeatures as well.

If you are in a no freeze area where infloor is used, it is a great thing to have infloor heads and a filter for the trough. It makes it almost self cleaning. I have it on mine, and never have scoop anything out of it, except for the occasional animal.
    Now one thing I will say is make sure your builder has built lots of these, and can prove it. Its not the kind of pool you want to be a test case on.

• womanowned
    13 years ago

I always put a separate filter, pump and auto-filler on any catch basin I build for an infinity edge.

• trhought
    13 years ago

jsldh.....we have a negative edge pool and autofill is a must. You do not want the water level too low in the basin or the pumps will start to pull air when the water level gets too close to the basin drains. This is not good for the pump and will eventually lead to pump maintenance and eventual replacement costs.

Also....just my opinion....filters for the basin pump are a waste of money and time. It's just another filter to have to pay for and maintain for the life of the pool. This makes no sense why you need a filter for the basin pump. It also adds resistance to the circuit and causes more energy consumption.

The basin is going to have to be turned a minimum of once per day to bring fresh chlorinated water from the main pool. This circulation also carries dirty water back to the main pool where it will be filtered by the main pool filter. Why filter the water going to the main pool then filter it again while its in the main pool.

Water feature pumps (including negative edge pumps) are only used for short periods of time. A couple hours a day usually compared to the main filter pump which is used normally for at least 8 hours/day and sometimes 18-24 hours per day with low speed pumps. Why place a filter in service for only a couple hours per day...is it really doing that much filtering.

just-a-pb....when you say you can also use the filtered water for other water features, what does this mean. I'm using 3 water feature pumps, all without filters. Maybe I'm just mis-interpreting your post. To me, filtered water is a must for heaters, sanitizers and mechanical cleaners, but why should they be needed for water features.

• just-a-pb
    13 years ago

Tr,
    Reread my post.
    I said the edge pump can be used to run waterfeatures.

For a filter it depends on the pool, we dont put them on every pool, but we do on a lot of them.
    Your quote "This circulation also carries dirty water back to the main pool"
    Why would I want to pump dirty water into my pool.
    My point its use is when you are swimming it has to be on. so you can get most of your filtration done with the edge pump during swim season.
    I have a 65K gallon pool so I need a second filter, and I put it on my edge pump. It feeds infloor heads in my trough, and then runs several different waterfeatures. I never have to sweep, or touch my trough, it is truly self cleaning.

• trhought
    13 years ago

just-a-pb...thanks for clarifying. Makes sense now, on a bigger pool, say greater than 60K gallons, a second filter makes sense to help with the dirt load and turnovers with low speed pumps. There's just not enough hours in the day to turnover larger pools with low flow rates to save energy.

For our modest 40K pool, I only need to run the circulation pump at low speed for about 18 hours during the swim season to take care of turnovers and filtering...no need for a second filter and pump. Our negative edge pump only runs for a couple hours per day during the weekdays and off-season and 5-10 hours per day during the swim season and weekends when we tend to swim for longer periods.

I should have clarified my post also regarding returning diry water to the pool...this only happens for as long as it takes to carry the water held in the basin to the main pool...after that it's carrying clean and chlorinated water to the pool. Using your logic...one could also argue for a chlorine generator on the negative edge pump in addition to a filter to prevent dirty, unsanitized water from being returned to the pool....just my perspective for what it's worth.

For larger pools, I agree with a second filter and pump to save energy during low speed circulating and filtering. If you have a negative edge pool, it makes perfect sense to put that filter on the negative edge circuit. I would also say that for larger pools, the placement of a secondary chlorine generator may also be needed and placing it on the negative edge circuit would also make sense.

For smaller pools with a negative edge, like mine, the need for a second filter is not necessary and placing one on the negative edge circuit is overkill in my opinion. I can see the argument either way though.

• jsldh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I appreciate everyone's feedback. We have decided to not do the infinity edge...I don't think my PB is enough of an expert and I don't want to chance it. We're now doing a low weeping wall in stone across the back of the pool. I think we've finally decided on our final design. Hopefully the dig will take place at the end of the month!

• jsldh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, trhought. We actually don't have a "view", which made the decision that much easier. We only have a fence with privet hedges (that I especially don't like) so I didn't want everyone's eye drawn to that back fence.
    We got our final quote yesterday and accepted, so I guess we'll be finding out soon when the build will begin. :-)

• trhought
    13 years ago

jsldh....makes a lot of sense now that you described your lot. The weeping wall should be an awesome detractor from the back fence.

Congrats on the new pool and welcome aboard!

• Rick Denham
    10 years ago

Can anyone help me? Building a infinity edge in Brazil, and no one around here is an expert!