Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cannonball_joe

Any suggestions on outdoor speakers?

cannonball_joe
16 years ago

I am thinking of running outdoor speakers to the pool/spa area. I've never done this before, so I'm looking for advice.

What type of speakers did you use? Are you satisfied?

Any other tips or suggestions?

Thanks

Joe

Comments (13)

• jasonjm2007
    16 years ago

these sound good and are cheap

Here is a link that might be useful: yamaha

• meandaddy
    16 years ago

Hi Joe,

I got some speakers from www.outdoorspeakerdepot.com based on some recomendations from this forum. They have a good selection and price range. I went with a pair of rock speakers, and have been very happy.

I ran the wire under the house, and hooked them to my inside receiver. The sound is great, but a little inconvenient to change CDs. I hooked up an IPod, and put on a long playlist. I read recently here that someone was able to set up their remote to operate their inside system, that might be something to look into.

Have a great day,
    Deron

• bruce61
    16 years ago

I also got speakers from http://www.outdoorspeakerdepot.com. Couldn't be happier. They are a bit more than Costco, but sound a whole lot better. The price is per speaker, but for about $250 for a pair, they are great. I ran the speaker wire through conduit before the deck was poured and ran speaker wire to six locations. I picked up a used but good high-power amplifier on ebay and ran it to the '2nd room zone' on my stereo so I can selectively have music only outside, only inside, or both, and all can be the same or different.

Here is a link that might be useful: Speakers

• gzelano
    16 years ago

Not Sure if you have a BJ's Wholesale Club near you, I just bought a pair of Bose Environmental speakers for $159.00 for the pair and the sound is unbelievable. My friend is a Bose dealer and says he can't buy them that cheap.

• scrapula
    16 years ago

gzelano, I saw those today at Sam's Club, too.

• gd2garden
    16 years ago

The Costco in Phoenix recently had a set of KLH outdoor speakers that look like boulders. Kind of a gray color. I believe the price was around $75 for the pair.

• reno_fan
    16 years ago

We got these at Sam's and I love them. No one knows they're speakers, and the sound is great. This is only one of them:

• thejimbar
    16 years ago

Big speaker and it looks just like a door!

• reno_fan
    16 years ago

LOL Jimbar.....it's the new model, The Doormaster 4000.

• jcjr
    16 years ago

I bought the Bose( they are used in boats) at Costco as well. I mounted them to my covered terrace ceiling and ran speaker wires in the attic, down the wall to my stereo. Meandaddy and bruce61 both solved the issue I am having. Since my stereo is inside, I cant change the channel. My stereo is pretty old and does not have a remote or the option to make it dual zone. I had to hook up my outside speakers with my inside speakers which is not convenient because both play at the same time and I have to manually disconnect the inside speakers so not to bother the people inside watching TV. I need a remote and have the speakers work independently. My speakers sound great and I think I paid $150 a pair.

• scrapula
    16 years ago

We went back to Sam's Club and bought the Bose speakers today. I have my old NAD receiver from the 1980's, which we are going to put in the lanai. Then we'll hook our Roku Music Server to the old receiver & our wireless network. DH wrote a script to capture the Sirius Radio stream and send it to the Roku server. That way we don't have to pay another license fee for satellite radio. The Roku also connects to iTunes on our dedicated music computer.

• cannonball_joe
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for all of the hot tips. Love the Doormaster 4000! LOL.

Scrapula - sounds pretty high tech! Is your DH a DJ or something? lol

• rossterman
    16 years ago

I have the outdoor speakeer depot 8" rocks which sound very nice (~$250/pair). I was looking at the ads in the paper this last weekend and kmart had the KLH rock speakers (granite color w/ 6 1/2 coaxial speakers) on sale for $49 per pair! Picked a pair up and expected to be returning them but once I installed them they sounded very good (not the same league as the $250 version but still verrrry good). Give them a shot