Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
letour_gw

Totally confused about pool pump size..help!!

leTour
10 years ago

I really need some help as my pool store seems stuck in a timewarp. Existing sand pool filter has failed and looking at replacing this and the pump.

I'd like to get a Pentair Quad DE 80 and a Pentair Whisperflo pump but my pool store does not like Pentair and seems to be steering me back to a sand filter. Anyway here is my problem I don't know what size pump I need. The existing pump is 1 1/2 hp and is basic single speed.

I've looked and looked at specs and graphs till I'm sick of them. Twice I've called Pentair for advice and been told different things. Both reps said I need a 3/4 hp pump and one recommended the 012530 whisperflo which is a dual speed. The next rep wanted to know why I wanted a dual speed and said a single speed 3/4 hp model 011512 would do. Another pool store said I'd need a 1hp. I now feel like my head will explode!

Pool is simple rectangle inground 27000 gallons. 1 skimmer and 1 main drain. No spa no nothing. Pump is about 60 feet from skimmer and is under 2 feet above the pool level. 2'' plumbing

So please can someone help! 3/4 or 1hp and whether 2 speed or single.
Thanks in advance

Comments (3)