Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Efflorescence coming through raised spa wall

Posted by fl_countrybumkin (My Page) on
Sat, May 12, 12 at 15:43

I have what I believe to be efflorescence coming through the outside wall of my raised spa. One tile has already fallen off. I also see this on the seams on the top seat/edge of spa (in the cement between the pool bicks).
What can I do about this? How do I stop it?

Photobucket

Here is a link that might be useful: 2nd Picture of Spa issue

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Efflorescence coming through raised spa wall

Is it only where it is raised?
How hard is your water?

Scott

o

Yes, only the raised section (although I get some calcium build up under the waterfalls) which comes off with a muratic acid/water srcubbing. I have not tried to clean the spa tiles (in picture) yet as I don't know what it is or what cleaner it will respond to.

The water hardness (Cal) is 180, Alk is 120, PH is 7.5, Cya is 30, water temp = 87F and salt is 3200ppm

Thanks for responding.

o

It will come off with a scrubbing and 4-1 water/MA mix but let the alk drop some, say to 80 or 90.

The pic shows it's been there some time. It will ease over time but expect it to continue at least a few more times while the excess calcium leaches out of the thin set and grout.

Scott

o

Does the spa spillover into the pool?
How high is the spa water?
What type of material was used between the bottom of the coping and the top of the inside waterline tile? Standard grout, waterproof grout or silicone?

I understand the excess calcium will eventually stop from the grout and the thin set, but I might try maintaining your calcium levels closer to 300 to avoid the water seeking out calcium. If it's 180 now, it could have been very low at the last fill. You could always test your fill line (or hose) water's hardness level to see how soft the initial fill was.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here