Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
under ground electric line is four feet from the pool water

Posted by chickadee4 (My Page) on
Thu, May 9, 13 at 15:27

I am in the middle of a pool dig.
I have an under ground electric line passing four feet near the pool's water. The distance between the line and water is four feet.
I have spoken to the power company, the pool builder , several electricians and the town's building inspector on what is code for electric lines near the pool.
I have asked to see the written pool code regarding electric lines .
All of the above have given me the followiing answers, 18 inches, five feet, 10 feet, 15 feet and 35 feet.

I have a transformer with a feed line to the home that runs at a 60 degree angle to the pool. Along an one foot section of the proposed pool, the electric line lays four feet to the pool.
Do I move the line.

The electric line is encased in a pvc tube.
I have had the pool excavator expose the line and an area to rewire the line. The power company will only feed the new line but will not touch the pvc pipe.
The electric line is 38 inches buried in a pvc pipe.
Do I move the line or just cover the hole.
THe power crew said it is not an issue.
The pool builder said five feet is code
The local town official says ten to fifteen feet.
I am lost.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: under ground electric line is four feet from the pool water

According to the national electric codes;

680.10 Underground Wiring Location. Underground wiring isn’t permitted under permanently installed pools, storable pools, outdoor spas, outdoor hot tubs, or fountains.
Nor is it permitted within 5 ft horizontally from the inside wall of the pool, spa, hot tub, or fountain, unless necessary
to supply the permanently installed pool, storable pool, outdoor spa, outdoor hot tub, or fountain equipment.

Where space limitations prevent wiring from being at least 5 ft away, underground wiring must be installed in complete raceway systems of rigid metal conduit, intermediate metal conduit, or PVC conduit listed for direct burial. The minimum
cover is 6 in. for metal raceways and 18 in. for PVC conduits. Figure

o
RE: under ground electric line is four feet from the pool water

THANK YOU so very much

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here