Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ground water entering at skimmer collar!

Posted by edweather (My Page) on
Mon, May 16, 11 at 15:17

With all the rain this spring, and with the water table being almost at the surface, today I noticed that dirty ground water was flowing into the skimmer from where the adjusting collar attaches to the top of the skimmer body. I'm assuming this shouldn't be happening. Should I wait until things dry out and try sealing it with something like a 2 part epoxy?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ground water entering at skimmer collar!

Nope. Leave it. It should do it. When you replace the deck, a bazillion years from now, the skimmer will be safe and a new collar can be set in place.

When the water table drops and the pool is overfilled, it can let water out too.

Scott

o

Thanks for the help. Let me ask a stupid question. If we won't be replacing the deck for a gazillion years (we plan on moving in 7 years anyway,) what's the harm in sealing it? It seems to do more harm than good, because we seem have a high water table often and the ground water is constantly ruining the nice pool water. When the pool does get too full I usually have my eye on it and let water out, plus the amount that will flow out of the skimmer is minor compared to what comes in.

o

If the water flow that could leave is minor, so is the water that could come in.

The aren't meant to be sealed.

You need a de-watering solution, not a perceived cure. Your idea of sealing is well intentioned but wrong. Getting rid of the source is the solution.

Scott

o

Scott thanks.

Except that the water that is entering is brown, and that's the problem.

Anyway, I am taking your good suggestion of leaving it unsealed. There are plenty of times during the fall, winter, and early spring that the pool is over full. I always wondered where the water was going when the level dropped after being full to the brim.

Also, maybe the collars are not meant to be sealed to leave a little room for deck movement during freeze/thaw cycles. I'd hate to lock it in and then have the skimmer crack if the deck moved a little.

Thanks again for your time. Ed

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here