Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
socaled

SunTouch and IntelliFlo VF

socaled
15 years ago

Hello Everyone,

September of last year, after doing a lot of research, I purchased a IntelliFlo VF. At that point in time it seemed the right decision, but now, I do not think so.

I have a 20 year old Anthony pool/spa, with the origional Anthony heater and large DE filter. I figure it at about 13,000 GAL. All these years it had a 2HP rated pump. It also has a Polaris with the booster pump. Every thing controlled with mechanical timers.

At the end of last year, I installed solar. The solar was installed with no automation. Wanted to see how the system would react with the solar installed using the new VF pump.

So the two additions to the system were the IntelliFlo VF and the solar. Between priming and the running of the pump, it would run fine some of the time, but most of the time the pump did not like any combination of primming and running in the filter mode.

The pump works perfect in the manual mode, 100% of the time. With or without solar in the system.

The pool has basically been shut down since late last year. Now I would like to add automation, but the IntelliFlo VF is now the problem.

I have had many calls into Tech support, last year and now again this year, and they say they will swap out my speed drive for a 4/160 one. After paying for the VF model I really do not want to do this.

My question is this: After reading a couple of posts, I get the impression that the SunTouch will control my VF model as if it were a 4/160 connected through the com port of the SunTouch. I have not asked Pentair this question, but if in fact this will work, I would like to go in this direction.

My automation needs are pretty basic as it is an older pool, and when I purchased the VF model it was mainly Energy conservation, and to be able to control the speed, and it was is stand alone pump.

Does anyone know if this is a true statement, that the SunTouch will control my VF model as a 4/160 without swapping out the speed drive????

Thanks in advance

Comments (11)

• dapooltec
    15 years ago

Suntouch will NOT control the VF pump. Only intellitouch will control the VF. Just swap out the drive for the 4x160 as pentair offered.

• repair_guy
    15 years ago

On the contray, the suntouch WILL control your VF. As soon as you plug in the RS485 cable, it will convert it to a 4x160 and you'll lose the features of your VF. It can be reversed if you change your mind. And, Intellitouch is the only direct connect automation system for the VF but not the only automation that will control it. You can control it on any system with an IntelliCom.

• socaled
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Repair Guy,

I just found your response to a thread in Febuary, where you stated that.

If during the summer months I wanted to use the SunTouch for mainly Solar, and a couple of other things and control my VF as a VS. Then during the winter months use the pump back as a VF stand alone like it was designed. How is that accomplished?? Just unplug the comm cable?? And it lets the speed/motor drive take back over? Or is there more to it than that?

Thanks in advance

• repair_guy
    15 years ago

The disconnect must be at the RS485 and then a factory reset must be done, power down and then power up. The factory reset is not something I post here for one reason. I've told people how to do it and then they get in there and tinker and the result is a screwed up pump.

When resetting the pump, you are entering a back door menu on the programming and tweaking some settings. All very normal but if it were meant for daily use, it would be in the book.

• socaled
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Repair_Guy,

Yes the RS485 is a very good standard to exchange data with 2 wires up to about 4000 feet, being able to take care of noisy situations along the way. The standard is used quite a bit for controlling sound at large events, air plane cabins, manufacturing etc. It is amazing today what a little software, can do. And just sending the signal over 2 wires. Pretty neat.
    Years ago it was all hardware control, today it is all about software.

I understand what you are telling me in regards to messing things up. Part of what I do is developing database software, so I am well aware of what you are telling me.

Could I email you separate?

Regards

• repair_guy
    15 years ago

yes. I just like it in writing so when it gets screwed up, you can't blame me.

• socaled
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Good Morning Repair Guy,

I am not sure if you got my separate email, sent from the member page yesterday?

Regards

• repair_guy
    15 years ago

Just sent you the process.

• octocat
    13 years ago

Hi
    Know this thread is very old but I would like to know if I can use the IntellicommII with the suntouch to control the external program 1 on the VF , I bought the suntouch because it said compatible with VF on the pentair website so now I have it .
    From the instructions for the intellicommII it say you can splice into the valve actuator circuit on the suntouch to activate an input terminal which will then run a signal to RS-485 COMMUNICATION cable and then to the VF pump .

Have I got this right , it seems a fairly simple work around but no one seems to have mentioned it before so maybe Iam missing something ??

thanks Dave

• socaled
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello octocat,

What did you find out about your Suntouch and your VF. I downloaded the new manual for the Suntouch, and showes menu items for setting the VF. Suntouch did not have this option before now. Did you get your VF going with the menu options in the new Suntouch?

Thanks

• dizman-1_charter_net
    13 years ago

Hooked up my Intelliflo VF pump to a 1.x EasyTouch, it converted it to a VS pump. I have since upgraded the EasyTouch to a 2.x board, which supports VF pumps. Looking for the process to reset an Intelliflo VF pump back to factory defaults. Emailed Repair_Guy over 2 weeks ago with no reply, Socaled, can you send me the process for this? I know there is reluctance in messing up the pump, but I can handle it, Self installed the Easytouch, re-plumbed, and re-wired entire Pool pad. This would help me immensely.
    Thanks.