Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

 o
Pool needs shocking, but I don't have time

Posted by MiaOKC (My Page) on
Mon, May 7, 12 at 14:23

Hi everyone - please help a noob out. I've been studying in Pool School. I need to shock my 38K gal concrete pool. The water is cloudy and in the deep end we have a greenish cast. Not a full algae bloom but not good. We got a huge rain 7 days ago that threw off our tenuous grip on clear sparkly water. I brushed the pool on Saturday and vacuumed to waste, added 4 lbs of 73% cal hypo and three caps phos free pool magic. Running pump 24/7, sand filter, since we opened in early April because we haven't gotten everything balanced yet. I can now see the drain in the deep end, but know the sand filter will take some time.

My drop test doesn't include CYA (I know, I need to get a better test kit! It's on the to-do list!) so I've been going to Leslie's for about 3 weeks, gradually adding CYA to bring level from 0 to 25. I'm using 3" pucks left in the bucket from the seller until they are used up, so that is adding a bit of CYA, too. pH is 7.4 and CYA 25. I cannot keep chlorine in the pool, so know shocking is in order.

However, to babysit it to keep a shock level of 10 or 11ppm over the course of days, I will need to wait until next weekend. Should I even bother putting ANY chlorine in until then? It feels pointless, since I know it will just be gobbled up by the organics, but I fear letting the organics get even further ahead of me than they are. How do you all handle this?

(PS, I am making my baby steps into BBB, too, purchased a cartload of 6% bleach at Wal-Mart. I am trying to use up chems left from seller before I go full plunge).


Follow-Up Postings:

 o
RE: Pool needs shocking, but I don't have time

Bleach is not necessary to be a BBBer. It is usually the cheapest but tabs or cells are OK for maintaining a residual. Bleach(5 or 6%) or chlorinating liquid (10 to 12%) is suggested for boosting the FC.

I would start at 12 ppm and maintain that until it passes the overnight chlorine loss test (less than 0.25 ppm).

The sooner the better. Don't stop feed it. You will have a much bigger issue if you do!

Scott


 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!


Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.


Learn more about in-text links on this page here