Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
new2poolstx

flagstone coping texture & iron v, tile ??Help!

new2poolstx
16 years ago

We're thinking about a freeform pool with flagstone. However, someone told me flagstone is rough. Does it snag bathing suits or scrape skin? Also, how common are problems with iron stains? What are options to use for coping if you want a natural looking pool?

Comments (8)

• scottvnc
    16 years ago

This is a great question and I am looking forward to reading the answers. Can responders also includes some pictures of their natural looking coping? I hope that is not too much to ask.

Thanks.

• metalmachinery
    16 years ago

YES!! HELP, We need Flagstone Feedback!! I just tagged several pallets of Sonora Gold flagstone to be installed on waterline and coping next week. I am too in need of some feedback whether or not this is a good choice? my pool design is a free form "malibu state park" or "santa barbara" natural boulder scape look. all the flagstones choices seem brittle or sand based stone. does this holdup with erosion, wear, maintinence etc??? thanks

• bayarea4
    16 years ago

We have Connecticutt Bluestone, and while we really like it, it can stain (note, the black stain by the second step). We don't mind, as it adds to the 'natural' look, I guess. If you're real particular, I'd prolly steer clear of this one.

It's also tumbled, so there are no sharp edges (we got little ones, so we were very careful with this one). You can tumble any flagstone, but it's extra, except for the Connecticutt Bluestone, as that's how it comes. It also doesn't snag suits any more than cement or bullnose.

Good luck!

-April

• padrefan
    16 years ago

We have tumbled quartzite and it's not a bit rough or sharp. Be careful of the softer flagstones...we were warned they would flake.

• naturallover
    16 years ago

PADRES FAN -- i love the tumbled quartzite flagstone you have. if i read right, you have:
    Idaho Silver and the coping is Tumbled silver, and waterline tile is oxidiana from INTL?
    I live in houston and want to know how to get this stone, bc everything that our PB seems to have available is softer. any ideas on which flagstone yard to call?
    thanks

• padrefan
    16 years ago

Hey naturallover..just responded to your other post. I'm in inland southern California so I don't know who you'd call for this quartzite. Glad you liked it though. I'm sure you'll get some other responses from people in Houston who've used flagstone and can give you more help.

• Angnjam
    10 years ago

Padrefan, we are also in the inland empire of SoCal.

I was wondering if you still like the quartzite coping?
    And do you have any problems keeping it looking nice on the waterline?
    Do you have a salt pool?
    Did you say it was the Idaho Silver quartzite for the coping, stairs and spa wall?
    I'm worried about it being rough on swimsuits, but it isn't huh?
    Would you choose it again?
    Any words of wisdom for me? We just finished digging the pool so we need to make some final decisions very soon. Thanks.