Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sloppy Gunite

Posted by colleenkay (My Page) on
Sun, May 25, 14 at 14:13

How sloppy is too sloppy of a job? I've seen some gunite jobs on here and they look perfect. Ours definitely does not. It's rough, there are piles of gunite in the corners, on the steps,which they did in the dark. The floor is solid trowel marks and the sides are too. The top third of the sides are smooth where the tile goes and the spa looks good. The tanning ledge is all trowel marks also. With this be ok? Am I freaking out for nothing? PB said it will be covered up with plaster.... Which is quartz scapes. Also what about all the piles of loose gunite and chunks every where. Should we clean that up or will the plaster people pick that up before plastering.
Help ease my mind!! And my sick stomach! Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sloppy Gunite

Loose materials aren't a problem and can be scrapped out and removed. Rough gunite and trowel marks aren't really an issue since it will be covered by the plaster and are actually a good thing in moderation because it gives the plaster surface a better bond to the gunite. Keep the gunited watered several times a day for the first week to increase the strength.

o

We just had the gunite done on our pool a few weeks ago and ours has trowel marks and some loose material. In fact we could not decide on how many umbrella holes to do in the tanning ledge so they put 3 in and said when we go to PebbleTec that we can just fill them in with the PebbleTec if we did not want them. Pictures would help us determine the quality of the gunite job. My gunite guys said that the Pebble Tec, Pebble Sheen, or Plaster is like "icing on the cake" it hides all the imperfections! Just be sure to water your gunite multiple time a day for at least 10 days.

o

Thank you! I have been. 3 times usually.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here