Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tclayton10

Pentair Easytouch upgrade to Intellitouch?

tclayton10
13 years ago

I currently have an Easytouch system with a 4x160 pump, and believe that the ET panel is failing due to a lightning stike a year or so ago. I would like to upgrade from the ET system to the Intellitouch system primarily so that I can eventually take advantage of the extra lighting features on my SAM and SAL lights.

It appears that all I would need to do would be to replace the current ET panel with an i7 or i9 personality panel and change the indoor control panel with the intellitouch backlit LCD panel (I already have the large Load Center with the ET). Do any of you see any problems with this approach? I know I'll get the best performance if I had a VF pump, but since I just replaced the 4x160 last year (as part of the same storm), I think I'll keep it for a while.

Comments (11)

• Rack Etear
    13 years ago

None whatsoever its a painless upgrade.

IF you have the a salt system built in, you will need to get an external power supply.

• just-a-pb
    13 years ago

Racket,
    I dont think that is true.
    The easytouch has a seperate transformer, and seperate board that handles the salt system, this is connected via the 4 wire comm cable.
    I havent tried it but what is there is the same as what is in the seperate power supply.

• dadondemand
    13 years ago

My pump timer includes a fireman's switch to shut down the heater approximately 20 mins before the pump. Problem is, the MiniMax NT has no connection that I can find on the wiring diagram for the switch.
    Am I correct? If so, is there a way to wire the switch into the existing 24v control circuit?

Thanks!

• Rack Etear
    13 years ago

"The easytouch has a seperate transformer, and seperate board that handles the salt system, this is connected via the 4 wire comm cable. "

That 4 wire is for the communication only, there is a separate tap for the salt transformer. You probably could rig the old one to work if you are savvy, it all depends on your ability.

Dad on demand. There is no need to cut the Minimax NT 20 minutes prior. This was said to me by many people at pentair.,

• just-a-pb
    13 years ago

Racket,
    Basically you disconnect the 4wire going to the salt board, and reconnect it to the Intellitouch board, I see no reason why this would not work, no rigging required. There are two transformers in the easytouch, one for the salt, and one for the controls, and VA ect.

Dad,
    New heaters do not require a cool down.

• Rack Etear
    13 years ago

Other than the lack of a place for the fuse on the salt system, it should work.

• Rack Etear
    13 years ago

You would have to drill out a spot for the circuit breaker.

• just-a-pb
    13 years ago

How is it fused now?

• tclayton10
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Seems to me that since the Intellitouch is designed to work with the Intellichlor module, that it would just be a simple plug in, but I defer to the experts. I do have the large load center with 5 circuit breakers already installed; hopefully that will cover all of the circuits. Guess the next step is to download the install manual and compare that wiring to the Easytouch wiring. But it does appear from all comments that the Intellitouch can replace my Easytouch panel as long as I make all of the appropriate connections.

• stkgator
    13 years ago

The current EasyTouch will control SAM/SAL lights - maybe just replacing the motherboard will solve all your problems.

• Rack Etear
    13 years ago

Stkgator You have to replace both control boards to rev2.XX boards, if they are rev 1.xx

"How is it fused now?"
    The little circuit breaker that is in the bottom of the circuit board for the easytouch. That spot isnt there on the intellitouch board.

" Guess the next step is to download the install manual and compare that wiring to the Easytouch wiring"

Everything is the same, Vavle operator, temp sensors, com ports etc. The upgrade will be seamless.

"Seems to me that since the Intellitouch is designed to work with the Intellichlor module" You might have to do a little reworking like wiring up the RS-485 port from the circuit board into the intellitouch, but it more that likely can be done.