Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mojobar

Swimming AFTER Plaster Timeframe?

mojobar
11 years ago

My A&S pool is filling as I type and we will have our start up meeting tomorrow or the next day. We have been told by our PB that the proper protocol is 2 full weeks of brushing the plaster and then 2 weeks of chemical balancing - totalling approx. 28 days. before we can swim in it. (Absolutely should not use heater until 28 days out too.) Basically, when I chat with all different people I hear conflicting "instructions". Some have said, you can swim immediately as soon as the pool is filled, the plaster "dust" and chemicals won't be affected. While swimming sooner sounds interesting, I would like to hear some opinions on this forum as to what protocol you have followed or if you are a Pool Professional, have instructed to your clients.

Pool Guy Scott, in case you are reading :), I know you will be visiting me soon for my pool cover measurement, I am glad to hear that you are doing ok!!!!

Thank you!

Comments (7)

• poolguynj
    11 years ago

Balancing, once the pump turns on, is forever. Some of rules change during the curing phase but after that, pretty much the only changes will be in quantities used.

Brushing is till the dust stops, then weekly.

Follow the PBs given advice for the cure. That is the most important since they have to warranty it.

Pool School at Trouble Free Pools (TFP)! Don't re-invent the wheel! Go through the LINKS section on my site to get there. GW has an issue if I post the URL to them.

TFP was started by people that got Pool Stored one too many times. My friends here and many others have ethics and morals but there are too many others that don't. No one will force you to buy anything but to post, you do need to register (free), and while it is owned by a private concern, there are no ads and is supported mostly by those that would see this site continue for what it contains.

Pool School will show the value of a proper test kit. What PBs around here gives doesn't fly in my book. If it keeps me from having to visit for a repair just once because the chems were wrong, it's paid for itself.

It's not hard and its not Jedi magic. Really! I participate on forums like this to promote water sanitation. Safe water is in every bathers interest. Sparkly clear water or smelly, green water, not a hard choice.

Winterized pools are left alone for the most part.

Scott

• rockybird
    11 years ago

I swam in it a few days after plaster. Nothing ill came of it. It's been about a month now and we just converted it to salt water a couple days ago. Swam in it today and I love the salt water.

• l1234
    11 years ago

Swim at will, but -- at start-up it is best to delay chlorination for as long as possible and than keep it low. Heavy use of the pool may make chlorination more important. ALso a lot depends on what type of stratup was done: accid or alkali start. My preference is in alkalic stratup. But the point is that the chemistry may not be as human friendly as you would wish.

Otherwise to all inquiring minds please stay away from contracctors beleiving in NPC(National Pool Plaster) in my eductaed opinion their rules, techings and advise are not based on any science and run against the cumulative knowledge of decades of cement industry knowledge and experience. None of their "rules" stands scrutiny of peer review. They are not recognized by American National Statdards Institute. NPC is in my opinion and experience is a trade association that cares about showing contractors how to make the most profit out of the least knowhow and effort.
    Although you rmileage may vary I trust more those who belong to APSP (former NSPI) which is ANSI recogniezed and does author and sponsor stadards that are approved by ANSI and other industrial powerhouse such as ACI (American Concrete Institute) and PCA (Plaster Cement Association).

• goyom
    11 years ago

That post was a train wreck. More acronyms than a pimp at a ho sho.
    Just sayin.

Avoid the BBB as well, they only pimp the people that pay them. Pool builders in general should be watched with a guilty pretense at best, just read here, you will see LOL.

start quote
    -----------------------
    Swim at will, but -- at start-up it is best to delay chlorination for as long as possible and than keep it low. Heavy use of the pool may make chlorination more important. ALso a lot depends on what type of stratup was done: accid or alkali start. My preference is in alkalic stratup. But the point is that the chemistry may not be as human friendly as you would wish.

Otherwise to all inquiring minds please stay away from contracctors beleiving in NPC(National Pool Plaster) in my eductaed opinion their rules, techings and advise are not based on any science and run against the cumulative knowledge of decades of cement industry knowledge and experience. None of their "rules" stands scrutiny of peer review. They are not recognized by American National Statdards Institute. NPC is in my opinion and experience is a trade association that cares about showing contractors how to make the most profit out of the least knowhow and effort.
    Although you rmileage may vary I trust more those who belong to APSP (former NSPI) which is ANSI recogniezed and does author and sponsor stadards that are approved by ANSI and other industrial powerhouse such as ACI (American Concrete Institute) and PCA (Plaster Cement Association).

end quote
    ---------------------

• poolguynj
    11 years ago

1234, I don't know where you got your experience or info but that is so far off the mark, its scary.

While it is true that plain plaster can be given either with very good results, higher aggregate finishes need the lower or normal pH start to ensure proper exposer.

The NPC has a pool farm that tests plasters in as similar a set of physical conditions as is possible, a farm of small pools. It is at a university in California, as I recall too. No science? Bah.

I never heard of the PCA.

While cementatious in nature, its surface and surrounding environment, being underwater, are not areas of focus for the ACI but are for the NPC.

Do not swim at will until the plaster has cured to the point where chlorine may be added and the water balance for your own safety. Person to person transmittal of bio-badies, the lack of oxidation, and the proper balancing of the pH and alk are very important, not just for the plaster, but for the chlorine that is in the water, when added.

Week old, plain plaster and Diamond Brite (and similar products) is too soft. Indentations and delaminations are not unheard of.

Getting the best results is what all these groups aim to accomplish. Getting it right the first time costs the least. That second time from a screw up is what costs someone.

Scott

• rockybird
    11 years ago

I guess I should clarify my post above. I used the pool after it had been chlorinated.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor