Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flagstone Coping: Quality Job or Not So Much?

Posted by smitch (My Page) on
Mon, May 21, 12 at 13:46

Forum members and pool building experts..I need your help.
We are in the coping stage of our pool build. Our contract calls for Dark Wister flagstone. The PB said they use 1.5 inch flagstone for coping. Please look at the pictures below and give me your opinion of quality of flagstone as well as quality of workmanship. I must admit it looks nothing like what I envisioned.
Thanks for your time.

SM

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flagstone Coping: Quality Job or Not So Much?

There is not much you can do to make flagstone coping look even on the pool edge since it varies in thickness.The stacked stone could use some work.

o

Thank you for your reply, Pools94. When you say the stacked stone could use some work, do you mean that there is something that can be done to improve it, or that it is just a poor job?
Any advice for improving the appearance of the coping or stacked stone would be appreciated.

SM

o

On the coping there is not much you can do to improve it. Since it varies in thickness there is nothing you can do to make it look better. Nature of the beast when you are dealing with natural stone. On the stacked stone they could have cut each piece to fit unless you are going for the grouted look in between the individual pieces of stone. If you were going for that the least they could have done is butt the stone under the flagstone coping so you don't have a big ugly grout joint there. I don't know if it is worth pulling it all out and redoing it but it would not pass muster with the customers in my area.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here