Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plumbing question - returns

Posted by freerider_tx (My Page) on
Sat, May 11, 13 at 13:38

Hi - I am under construction in DFW! :) It's a freeform gunite pool with spa, approximately 12,000 gal. I have a Jandy VSP (VS-FHP2.0) pump for the pool/spa, a separate pump for water features (sheer descent and 3 bubblers), and a booster pump for Polaris 280. The pool has 5 returns and 2 skimmers and the spa has 6 jets.

My question is on the returns to the pool. There is one 2" pipe from the pad that splits into 2 1.5" pipes after about 5'. One of the 1.5" lines feeds 3 returns and the other 1.5" line feeds the other 2 returns. Is this adequate?

Any feedback is appreciated!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plumbing question - returns

5 returns is overkill for your size pool, 3 or 4 would be plenty, I would have them pipe each return individually as a "home run" from the equipment pad in 2" PVC. Make sure they install a valve on each return at the pad. That way of you ever have a problem you can valve off the return. Individual valving will allow you to balance the returns as well,

o
RE: Plumbing question - returns

Big funky,
I hope that your not a builder. Pool returns are like a car. You need a certain amount of back pressure for them to operate properly. Four returns are normal.
I start with a 3" return at the equipment then down size it to 2.5" then to 2" then as I go around the pool to 1.5". The amount of water that gets moved at a low speed is pretty significant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here