Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replacing Fiber Optic lights with LED?

Posted by raywbo (My Page) on
Thu, May 19, 11 at 13:33

Hi all,

Has anyone replaced their in-ground pools fiber optic lighting with the LED's now available? My pool has 3 round lights fitted in the standard 1 1/2" return type fittings. The housings have not aged well and the light tower is noisy and unreliable. I came across some LED's that supposedly fit in those same fittings that are simply wired to a 12V control unit/transformer.

Would love to know if anyone has had experience with these small LED's before I retrofit.. they are *very* expensive, but not all that more pricey than the fiber set up was..

I also am thinking of "pirating" one of the ports to use as a polaris 280 port (Kreepy Krauly must go) so any reports on brightness compared to fiber system would be great to hear about too.

Thanks in advance!

Ray

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replacing Fiber Optic lights with LED?

Hi Ray, I wouldn't have much confidence in the small LED's. The big ones are good, but a task to put in for you now. Don't use the line for the Polaris if it's flex. Good luck

o

I havn't used the colored LEDs but I saw a picture where they were 10X brigter than fiber.

o

I used the savi melody led lights worked great.I have extra if you need.

o

We've just installed a 37' fiberglass with two of the Savi Melody LED's. I thought that I would need three, since they are so small, but the first night I switched them on, the ENTIRE pool was flooded with light. Looks absolutely fantastic, and love the different color capabilities. We're controlling them from a Jandy PDA P4 remote.

o

Thanks for the feedback all, it's very helpful. For anyone interested, I have learned that Nexxus Lighting (makers of Savi) have recently sold the pool lighting division to Next Step products, who continued the product line as is but also added a Savi Melody SOL light, which is twice as bright as the original melody. I'm having second thoughts about plumbing up a pressure line for a polaris 280 and might give a robotic cleaner a try first, but have a propensity for never taking the easy way out and regrettably making things complicated so that could change!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here