Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cdavmd

Midnight blue pebble tec

cdavmd
16 years ago

Hi anyone with midnight blue pebble tec, specifically I'm wondering how it looks in full daylight versus shade. We have a very wooded backyard adjacent to conservation area. During the day we have full direct sun, but later in the afternoon it becomes shaded by the house and with all the trees I am wondering do you get a "green" look. We are looking for a rich blue water color....no green.

Thanks

David

Comments (10)

• dkdollie
    16 years ago

Hi David,

We just had our Midnight Blue Stonescapes mini pebble applied on Saturday and the pool is almost done filling now. I won't be able to give you a true response for a week or so once the brushing and balancing is done, but based on a Midnight Blue pool I saw last Friday, I did not see any green. It was a deep, dark blue with flecks of gold in the pebbles. We also have full sun all day, so I will be sure to take photos in about a week and will post them.

• livinwell
    16 years ago

Hi David,

I have midnight blue and you definitely won't see green. It is a very rich blue in the shade and in the sunlight looks very refreshing. Here are a few pics to show variations. I am in So Cal and the backyard faces west.

• sandradee
    16 years ago

David...I have Ocean Blue PebbleSheen, the Sheen equivalent of Midnight Blue Pebble Tec. Yes, the adjacent trees on/near our property do reflect off the surface of the water, making parts look green at different times in the day. And, it's not just the trees, it's also the shrubs and low plantings we have - all at least 5' away from the water's edge. The only way I can see to getting around the green reflections is to surround your pool with concrete for quite some distance!

I suspect, as you do, that the reflection of green will happen no matter what pool finish you choose...however it would be intensified if you choose a finish/color that has a green look to it already.

Because you have a heavily wooded backyard, your pool color, even with green reflections would probably look better in your environment than a bright blue finish with no reflections (if that were even possible).

As far as lights are concerned, we have 2 SAm lights in a 40' pool, depth 3-6', and we can see the bottom just fine with all colors, although some are more illuminating than others.

• livinwell
    16 years ago

David,

I didn't think about the reflection of trees, shrubs etc., I have none. But I do love the deep blue and you'll probably have more green with the lighter pebble tec/fina colors. The center picture shows the cleaner on the bottom of the pool during the day. The depth at that end is an 8' - 10' drop and I can always see the cleaner.

I only have one regular light at the deep end and haven't checked for what I can see at night; no young kids or intoxicated adults to worry about. lol I will report back to you.

• cdavmd
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks again everyone for all the advice. As you mentioned Sandradee, I will probably get more green with other lighter colors. As I see it, the most rich blue of all the finishes seems to be the midnight blue. This is what we are looking for, a deep rich blue but not as dark as the other darker pebble tec colors that in my opinion make the pool look like a moat. Thanks again for your help and pictures.

• cdavmd
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks livinwell, let me know if you find some intoxicated person down there...lol.

• livinwell
    16 years ago

Well David, I think you're safe. I turned on the light and could clearly see the bottom. No one down there, but the season's just begun and the boys are home from college.

Let us know what you decided and come back with pictures.

• cdavmd
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks again, I will. We are waiting for the contractors to place the waterline tile and pavers...in the meantime we have a retaining wall going up which should be done in a couple of days.
    We started in November...between the thaw, wet weather and contractor delays....it doesnt look like we'll be open by memorial day as promised, perhaps early June. I will post some pics soon. Thanks for your help

• livingood
    15 years ago

HI DAVID

WE ARE A YEAR BEHIND YOUR PROJECT, CHOOSING PEBBLE TEC COLORS RIGHT NOW, LOOKING AT TAHOE BUT LEANING TOWARD MIDNIGHT BECAUSE IT SEEMS BRIGHTER, DEEPER BLUE. HOPING YOU MIGHT SHARE A PIC OF YOUR COMPLETED POOL TO HELP US OUT...THANKS