Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tresw

Water temps, who's swimming?

tresw
15 years ago

Just curious what water temps are looking like around the country. Our water hit 79 on Saturday (north central Texas), that's the warmest it's been yet. We've been swimming about a month with the temp running around 74, but I have to say 79 is MUCH more comfortable than 74. I was surprised at the difference 5 degrees makes!

Comments (36)

• bf-tx
    15 years ago

Houston checking in

I heated mine up to 80 with gas on thursday, it was up to about 85-86 over the weekend, perfect for mama on her day, sunday.

I know what you mean about 5 degrees, my kids complain when it is in the mid 70's, I have to agree, 82-85 is perfect for me right now.

• sis3
    15 years ago

Gulf Coast, central Florida here. We have been swimming since February (on and off) with just solar heating. Pool temperature hits about 90 most days.

• tagprod
    15 years ago

Pool hit 84 by itself on Saturday. Houston Texas here

• sandradee
    15 years ago

North Texas, almost to Oklahoma...Pool was 72 degrees 2 hours ago. No aux heat and no cover, but pool is in full sun. Between the winds and the past couple of nights with temps dipping into the 40's, we're not making any progress toward swimming temps. :( The highest I've seen the pool was 76 about a week ago or so.

• gk5040
    15 years ago

Tampa checking in at 84, no heat and no solor....just the sun and Tahoe Blue PT. We definately think the darker pool surface helps our pool warm up a little faster:)

• graffster
    15 years ago

Just looked at my little remote and it shows 90!!! Woo hoo!!! We're in SW Florida...uncaged pool...I think that keeps things warmer, doesn't it?

Kids (and Mom!) are loving it! What a great way to spend Mother's Day!!

Funny that you posted this, tresw, I was thinking the same thing when I jumped in yesterday!

Happy swimming everyone!

• Ron Natalie
    15 years ago

Ours is uniformly about 85. It's indoors with a heater :)

• repair_guy
    15 years ago

San Diego area. 71 degrees water, 65 air, not a chance! Going to 90 this weekend though but that will need a heater.

• mommyniki
    15 years ago

SW of Phoenix. DH just checked it and it said 79. My kids have been swimming for about a month but you won't catch me in it. I have a hard time getting in cold water, it needs to be warm for me. I'm a wimp.

• scrapula
    15 years ago

We have solar panels that kick in automatically with the pump. They are set to turn off at 90 degrees because that's our favorite temperature for swimming. It's been at 90 for a couple of weeks now.

• tresw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm jealous of those temps being reported by the Florida people!! :-)

Scrapula, where are you located? Do you use a cover or does the solar keep it there without?

• poolmissy
    15 years ago

Talk about jealous! Here in Seattle it has been so cold and cloudy we are lucky to see the sun and 60's. I wanted to heat the pool by solar for our first time this year, but I need about 3 days of sunshine - so the pool temp remains around 56 degrees. We are suppose to see 80 degrees by Thursday so I might have to turn on that dang heater if I want to be able to swim this weekend. :)

• susannap2
    15 years ago

Well my gunite temps beat those I bet! I AM SOOO JEALOUS!!! With any luck we will have a complete pool soon though...

• cncguy
    15 years ago

i as at daytona beach 2 weeks ago and the pool at the condo was 82 degrees (heated).it was sweet! however the surf temp was only about 72.

• ncrealestateguy
    15 years ago

78 naturally in Charlotte, NC. This is my buddies pool. We begin a build very soon.

• jmas65
    15 years ago

87 in North Florida - I haven't run the heater in several days, but still cover it at night.

Life is good.

• pooldazed
    15 years ago

Central Maryland, 1/2 way between Washington DC & Baltimore. Opened on 5/5, my girls were swimming last week with pool temp at 57. We've been having a cold snap this week, the high today was about 50, the pool dropped to 45. They didn't want to even try.

• waterouzel
    15 years ago

Northern California, Sonoma County. I have solar installed with my lap pool and have had to turn it off. Temp has been in the mid 70's since early April, reached 80 yesterday which is too warm for exercise swimming.

• barco
    15 years ago

Houston...you had to heat your pool to 80+? I'm here in Austin and our pool was 83 over the weekend with no heat or cover. Of course, as you know its cold now and raining, so the pool is back down to 77, but we are building the solar rings and expect to easily be able to conserve about 4-5 degrees of heat per day average and get us back above 80.

• tropicalparadise08
    15 years ago

Saturday our pool was 88 & it was perfect! I'm in Baton Rouge, LA.

• bf-tx
    15 years ago

barco
    yes, raised it from approx 75 to 80, this morn it was 81. Once I got it up it seems to be staying. I dont have or want a cover, rings or anything.

• blessednFl
    15 years ago

Vero Beach Fl, here. Solar cover has been off a month, caged pool, water temp was 86 at 9pm last night. Nothing like swimming in the moonlight. Night jasmine is blooming but air still smelled a little smokey from all the fires north of us.

• scrapula
    15 years ago

tresw - I do not use a solar cover. The panels heat it up that hot on their own. It does cool down to about 84 over night, but it's back at 90 in no time at all. A cover is too much work for us and we'd never use it. The panels turn on around 9:30am and start heating the pool right away.

We're pretty lazy. Over the last 2 years all we've done to the pool is add acid every week or two and a bag of salt every 6 months.

• poolio_iglesias
    15 years ago

massachusetts here water hit 70 yesterday that heater is working good. DW won't go in but kids and I are having a ball.

• plumbly22
    15 years ago

Central MA here...

took cover off yesterday... water is at 50... Pool guys come tomorrow to reconnect the filter and heater (DH refuses to learn, so I refuse out of spite!)

youngest wanted to go in yesterday but I would not let her as I had just finished dumping in 8 gallons of shock!

Water was clear as could be... nice even coating of dirt on the bottom to be vacuumed once the filter is ready to roll.

• cncguy
    15 years ago

i think i see a warming trend.cover has been off for 2 weeks now and just checked the water temp and it's up to 62.i almost went in toay to cool off after cutting the grass but couldnt do it.oh yeah,im in connecticut no heater
    :(

• kahbear
    15 years ago

Well, here in Seattle we had an unseasonable weekend with temperatures in the 80's. I just got out of the pool.........drum roll.......don't scream.......water temperature 68 degrees! Obviously I don't have a heater this year. It was refreshing, yes, and I enjoyed it immensely. It will get warmer when our normal (does Seattle ever have normal weather?) summer gets going in July thru September.

Kurt

• Lisa Hayes
    15 years ago

Here in Louisville yesterday I had a small party and the actual temp. was 69 degrees at 7:00 in the morning, I cranked up the heater and by party time at 1:00 the temp. was 82 degrees. No adults got in, but the kids stayed in for hours.

• tresw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

After I made the first post we had a cold snap come through and the water temp just today finally made it back up to 79 (DFW area). We swam a lot yesterday with water temps of 76. I swam twice (around some major yardwork) and the kids swam 4 times!! Today we went to a big waterpark, it was outrageously expensive and franky wasn't any more fun then swimming in the backyard. At least I don't have to wait in line to go down our slide!! Those waterparks are a ripoff- we had to pay for parking, pay to get in, pay for a locker, pay for a tube for the kids to float on, pay big bucks for a lousy lunch and wait insane amounts of time to do any of their slides (waiting times were running 45 minutes for everything). The only reason we went is one of the girls earned a free ticket at school, but the park more than made up for that one ticket on other charges, LOL! Oh, and the water seemed a lot colder there than at home! It was chilly!

• poolmissy
    15 years ago

Okay, I caved. Turned on the heater.

Finally had a 80-90 degree weekend in Seattle and the solar couldn't heat fast enough from 65 to 85 to use it by the weekend. However once we got to temp wih gas the solar maintained it.

First season lesson. Solar won't produce enough for a quick cold start up but will easily maintain temps on nice sunny days.

• nanhsot
    15 years ago

Central Texas and we're ranging from low 70's to 75 right now, we're in the midst of cool nights and hot days, so it fluctuates somewhat right now.

Kids have been swimming for at least a month or more, consistently, including large groups of kids at least once a week! I had my first official jump in yesterday, I wait until we're at or close to 78. High's in the 90's all week here, so I have no doubt this week I'll be in!

• barco
    15 years ago

Central Texas. Pool water was 81 yesterday... One of the advantages of a darker pebble aggregate pool finish.

Air temps today in the low 90s.

• zoomer
    15 years ago

NorCal - East Bay. Heatwave going on the past week or so. Pool's been 80-84 after running solar. Likely drop below that now that the nights are cooling off again.

• syntagma
    15 years ago

My water temps is at 84 in Houston! The air temp is 95! Honestly I still feel like the water is too cold for me...I am wimpy! HAHAHA

• smogtek
    15 years ago

Saturday evening first swim of the season in the Antelope Valley.

Water temp easily got to 90 according to the control panel, but the thermomter in the pool showed about 96.

Solar panels on from 10-4 and solar covar about 5 days out of the week.

Matt

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting