Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which pressure side cleaner should we buy?

Posted by kaypottery (My Page) on
Thu, May 3, 12 at 10:41

Our old faithful Jandy Ray-Vac has slowly died. I would buy another one in a heartbeat but they have been bought out by Polaris and they discontinued the Ray-Vac. Years ago we had a Polaris 380 with booster pump and we constanly had to repair it. Our new pool now has a lot of steps, platforms, & a shelf so I don't believe the Polaris would work well. We do not have a booster pump with this pool either. I also do not want an electric "bot" cleaner. Does anyone have any suggestions on which pressure side cleaner to buy?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which pressure side cleaner should we buy?

We love our Polaris 360. We bought one refurbished and it worked wonderfully until it finally died a merciful death. We didn't worry about it, we just dropped it in the pool and let it go~although we should have taken better care of it we really did nothing but hook it to the side and let it clean.

I'm not sure how it would work with steps, platforms and shelfs as we just have a basic kidney shaped pool with a vinyl liner but it's worth a call to customer service to ask.

We just bought another one at Amazon.com for $360 ish and we hope we have just as good of luck with this one. No booster pump, no electric for this model. Hope this helps a little bit and good luck.

o

I hate my 360! Doesn't climb walls well, does not back up well, and does take some maintenance. Is always getting stuck on the steps. I have had two of them in two separate pools.
Any other suggestions guys?

o

Well steps and sun shelfs = manual sweep.
Get used to it.

You can pay 2k for a robot, but well, they have issues.
Sounds like some of you need to hire a pool boy, LOL.

I have a polaris 280 and that lil sucker just keeps going and going. I have yet to manually vacuum the pool in 2 years.

Good hunt.

o

I was not talking about the inability of the 360 to clean my shelfs and steps, I was referring to it always getting hung up on them.

o

Maybe that is because the 360 doesn't use a booster pump and works off lower pressure? Our 380 backed up well (until it died) and never got stuck. In the remodel, we made the shallow end shallower by making it a large shelf. We haven't figured out if the 3900 is able to get onto it.

The Polaris 380 needed maintenance/repair from time to time. The tail hose gets stiff after a couple of years and has to be replaced. Tires get worn, etc. It didn't need constant repair. It lasted over 10 years.

We went with the 3900 this time because they have a rebate that makes it cost the same as the 360 and I'm hoping that the steel drive chain means it will last longer. There doesn't seem to be much besides Polaris in pressure side cleaners.

o

I work on all cleaners and I like the Pentair cleaner better than the Polaris because they are gear driven rather than belt. they also have a bigger throat so they pickup larger leaves and such....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here