Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gln2_gw

inground pool remodel, what should I consider?

GLN2
9 years ago

I am having a new paver patio put around my pool, and therefore want to refurbish the pool before the patio goes down. Pavers will be over RCA, will probably forego a cement layer. I'm on Long Island, NY. Weather is zone 7. Subsurface is nothing but pure sand, which I saw when a new cesspool hole was dug 6ft down.

Pool is 16X36 steel walled, vinyl lined with ugly wide white metal coping. Figure it is ~30 yrs old, installed by prior homeowner. DE filter and 2sp pump are only a few yrs old.. Spoke to a few PB's.

- old white fiberglass steps on narrow end has small superficial cracks and one nick, I feel need to get rid of it as it will not look great against the new pavers. And bullnose edge won't work with it. Rather than dropping in new step unit, thinking of closing off the end and putting steps inside pool. Also, will give more walking space as the steps are very close to house (~5ft from house steps). One installer said he'll build wall with concrete blocks, and for steps will pour cement into wooden forms. Second PB said he will use same steel walls as in new construction to close the gap, and will use a steel framed step inside for steps. He said concrete against a steel framed wall is not a good idea. Opinions? I don't like the look of the white drop-in steps, so I guess the steps inside will be vinyl covered. I haven't seen any in-pool steps in person, looked at only a few online. I like steps that have a "bench" extension for seating, but I haven't seen anything yet that I would use.

-coping has to go, naturally, and 5 yr old liner is attached, which unfortunately has to go also. One PB said since I'm replacing the liner he would add another skimmer in the middle of the long side wall (can't recall if he said another supply also.) I presently have 2 supplies and 2 skimmers spread out on the long sides. I have no problems keeping water clear running pump on low speed for 12hrs/day. Doesn't seem to me to give me any benefit for the added cost. I do not have any floor drain. Should I add the 3rd lines? Might it make any sense to change the skimmers to the short far-end wall, on either side of our diving board? (Neither suggested that, I was just curious as I have a friend that has his skimmers there.)

-Thinking of adding vermiculite to the floor/walls; hate the bumpy surface I got after last liner replacement. But, one PB is adding $2,500 for this!

-Both PB's said to replace the piping, will use 2" rigid PVC, which I agree with, and will also put in new supplies and returns. (Surprisingly, 2 diff PB's that I had over last yr to look seemed to have no opinion when I asked about replacing the pipes. Said if I have no leaks I could let them be.)

Thanks for any suggestions.

Glenn