Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Pool Build in Cypress, TX

Posted by Cypress214 (My Page) on
Tue, May 22, 12 at 10:26

After two years of lurking on this web site my wife and I finally decided to put in a pool. We met with 5 builders and ultimately decided to go with Kelly (Atlantis Pools and Spas). The specs of the pool are as follows:

44 x 22
3'5' to 8'
Jandy Equipment w/ Aquapalm
3 Jandy LED Lights in Pool/ 1 LED in Spa
Rainbow 320 Chlorinator
Moss Rock 4 ton waterfall with rock wall weepers
9'x7' raised spa with 7 jets
Tanning Shelf with 2 bubblers & flagstone star
450' new decking (acrylic lace spray coating)
Flagstone inlay in decking
Flagstone Coping
Luna Quartz Aruba Interior Finish

Kelly came out and sprayed the lines on Saturday May 12th

DSCN2338

DSCN2335

DSCN2334

DSCN2332

They came to dig early Sunday morning on May 13th

DSCN2353

DSCN2358

DSCN2393

DSCN2362

DSCN2361

DSCN2356

Plumbing and Rebar on Monday May 14th

DSCN2376

DSCN2388

DSCN2380

Thanks to a rain delay we had to reschedule Gunite from Tuesday May 15th to Thursday May 17th.

DSCN2396

DSCN2397

DSCN2398

DSCN2406

DSCN2399

DSCN2401

DSCN2413

DSCN2408

We have been watering the gunite since then and waiting for the next step.

DSCN2416

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Pool Build in Cypress, TX

This looks AWESOME!! You are going to love your LED Lights... they were out of my price bracket, but I have heard good things about them!!

o

Your gonna love it!
we are almost done with ours and we couldn't be happier

o

I really like the layout of your pool. I think it is going to be sooo much fun!

o

They came and trenched the yard yesterday for the piping. I will update with some more pics tomorrow.

o

Ready for the plumbing

DSCN2422

DSCN2426

DSCN2431

DSCN2435

DSCN2436

DSCN2452

DSCN2442

Equipment set

DSCN2443

DSCN2446

DSCN2445

DSCN2453

DSCN2455

o

We are in the process of designing our pool and are curious what your estimates have been.

Thanks

o

Estimates ranged from $50-60K

o

Electrical was started last night and they should be finishing that up today.

o

Are you planing on maintaining your pool yourself or hiring out?

o

We are planning on maintaining the pool ourselves. Electrician never came back so here are the pictures for this week, hardly any progress:

DSCN2474

DSCN2472

DSCN2471

DSCN2479

DSCN2475

DSCN2482

o

Don't quite understand the two pumps being plumbed together to the filter ?
Ask your builder whats up with that ?

o

How are you planing on maintaining it? Pucks, liquid, adding salt gen?

we are also amintaining ours, I'm just currious to see what choices others are making.

By the By ours gets full sun from 9am-7pm makes for warm water.

o

Nalai- I want to see what Kelly recommends. I'm sure it will be pucks in the chlorinator at first. I have read that they raise your CYA levels so we might convert to liquid once we get things figured out. No salt gen for us. Did you get a decent pool school from Kelly?

o

we are still wrapping up, trying to get the new windows phone to give up the nice pictures of the finished pool.

There are 2 things left on out punch list before pool school. But I'm an avid reader and read the Pool School section of TFP before I comited to building the pool.

Kelly says that's the way he maintains his pool.

The pool has been HEAVEN! Spent Saturday putting up a pergola and staining my kids jungle gym, then jumped in the pool and it was like AHHHHH!

You guys getting close?

o

They finished electrical yesterday and tile/stone is scheduled for this week. We are getting there. What was your total build time from start to finish?

o

Well we technically aren't finished as there are a few things left on the punch list.

but from dig -> swim it was about 5 weeks a little quick but it's been a blessing.

what kind of coping/tile are you going with?

o

We chose an Oklahoma Wister flagstone coping that has a lot of darker colors in it. We also selected the Noble Tile NWPI 650 Mariana Green for the waterline. It is mostly an earth tone color with a small hint of emerald green and blue. Kelly has them scheduled to start that work tomorrow.

o

Becareful of the darker color stone, it gets HOT in the sun. Our travertine which I don't consider "dark" well the darker pieces get really hot durring the day.

o

Our original flagstone was too thin so our pool builder had to pick another selection that would be better for the coping.

Picture 004

The waterline tile compliments the flagstone

Picture 008

Picture 005

Picture 007

They grouted in the tile yesterday and finished the spillway on the spa. I hope to come home to the small rocks on the back wall and hopefully the stone has been delivered for the waterfall.

o

WRT to the two pumps feeding the filter, I am sure it was for pressure testing, not for general operation.

Scott

o

Love your pool...I too am building my first pool and I am stuck on the finish.

o

Nalai and Cpypress214, thanks for signing with us!!!
Mark told me that at pool school today you had lots of pictures of 214's pool. I just hit the shop and logged into the forum to see if his pool build was on the board.
I feel terrible about not getting into here more often as I used to frequent it a least 3 or 4 times weekly and now am lucky to get here once a month. After my lengthy spell away due to some conflict with the board and getting back aboard again I've been mostly hanging on the forums with my Motorcycle racing and Cigarette boat buddies. I'm going to make it a point to come in at least 2 or 3 times a week again.
When I've been in I've seen that other long term member industry professionals have been answering the questions the newer members have had. I've probably only made 3 or 4 posts in the past couple of months and they've been design related questions.
I didn't even know there was a thread on 214's pool build going.
I got a great laugh when I was reading the chronological dates of his build in progress.
WHY is it that in the off season I can never get a member to follow his/her build on the board with pictures to see our better turn times???
It's the same way every busy season, A member will post a thread when I've got 13 pools going at the same time and start an ongoing construction thread, LOL!!!

MSdiva, don't get stuck on a pool finish. Do a little research and you'll discover that PebbleTec and WetEdge are the best 2 on the market. I just did an AWESOME polished Hydrazzo finish. It's an excellent product too, but it's more sensitive to poor water chemistry than the pebbled pool finishes for staying attractive over the long haul of many years in service.

Bruce, poolguyNJ is correct. I plumb all my piping to a common manifold for a pressure test after plumbing and then cut it out at startup.

Hopefully I can reel 214's pool back in line and get a grip on some forward progress over there. We've been very busy and have suffered through a few days of adverse weather here and there which really slows us down on all the jobs.

See ya,
Kelly

o

Love to see this

DSCN2525

DSCN2526

DSCN2532

DSCN2562

DSCN2558

DSCN2560

DSCN2559

DSCN2561

o

looks great!

o

It rained this week so no progress. So tired of the mess and ready for this project to be completed. I pray Kelly will knock it out in the next week.

o

Look who has decks!!

DSCN2565

DSCN2567

DSCN2574

DSCN2577

DSCN2579

DSCN2582

DSCN2583

DSCN2586

DSCN2594

DSCN2587

o

Your pool is beautiful!! Hope you are able to swim in your new pool on the 4th of July!!

o

Thanks twingle but the rain has done a good job of preventing any progress. The spray deck was put down end of last week and we are scheduled for plaster this Friday. We just need this rain to stay away!

o

Pool was finished in Aruba Luna Quartz on Friday and pool was filled by Saturday afternoon. They start-up the equipment today and I can't wait to see the water when it clears up.

DSCN2639

DSCN2641

DSCN2650

DSCN2672

DSCN2678

DSCN2677

DSCN2673

o

pool filled

o

Some pics with the water fresh and blue. We love the Luna Quartz Aruba color.

DSCN2739

DSCN2738

Our Kelly Star on the sun shelf

DSCN2737

My wife added the star in the spa

DSCN2736

DSCN2735

The sidewalk was also a nice addition to help keep grass and dirt out of the pool when guests show up.

DSCN2741

o

Love your pool... can you please share with my your tile color and manufacturer? I really like it!! Thanks, KIM

o

Texgirl1- sorry for the late reply. The tile color is Noble NWPI 650 Mariana Green and can be found here:
http://www.nobletile.com/pacific.html

o

We are about to use Luna quartz Aruba on our pool. Were you able to see the finish on another pool before you chose that color. I love your pictures but it is so hard to tell the true color due to the different computers. Would you describe the color as more blue, or green. Thanks so much, this is such a hard decision to make.

o

I would certainly describe it as a light blue in the sunshine with the quartz sparkling. In the shade the blue is a darker more lagoon look. We did not get a chance to see the color in person prior to selecting it but I would not change a thing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here