Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cypress214

New Pool Build in Cypress, TX

Cypress214
11 years ago

After two years of lurking on this web site my wife and I finally decided to put in a pool. We met with 5 builders and ultimately decided to go with Kelly (Atlantis Pools and Spas). The specs of the pool are as follows:

44 x 22

3'5' to 8'

Jandy Equipment w/ Aquapalm

3 Jandy LED Lights in Pool/ 1 LED in Spa

Rainbow 320 Chlorinator

Moss Rock 4 ton waterfall with rock wall weepers

9'x7' raised spa with 7 jets

Tanning Shelf with 2 bubblers & flagstone star

450' new decking (acrylic lace spray coating)

Flagstone inlay in decking

Flagstone Coping

Luna Quartz Aruba Interior Finish

Kelly came out and sprayed the lines on Saturday May 12th

They came to dig early Sunday morning on May 13th

Plumbing and Rebar on Monday May 14th

Thanks to a rain delay we had to reschedule Gunite from Tuesday May 15th to Thursday May 17th.

We have been watering the gunite since then and waiting for the next step.

Comments (36)

• NewLKNPool
    11 years ago

This looks AWESOME!! You are going to love your LED Lights... they were out of my price bracket, but I have heard good things about them!!

• Nalai
    11 years ago

Your gonna love it!
    we are almost done with ours and we couldn't be happier

• gaylek
    11 years ago

I really like the layout of your pool. I think it is going to be sooo much fun!

• Cypress214
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They came and trenched the yard yesterday for the piping. I will update with some more pics tomorrow.

• Cypress214
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ready for the plumbing

Equipment set

• harrison00
    11 years ago

We are in the process of designing our pool and are curious what your estimates have been.

Thanks

• Cypress214
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Estimates ranged from $50-60K

• Cypress214
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Electrical was started last night and they should be finishing that up today.

• Nalai
    11 years ago

Are you planing on maintaining your pool yourself or hiring out?

• Cypress214
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We are planning on maintaining the pool ourselves. Electrician never came back so here are the pictures for this week, hardly any progress:

• bruce_poolguy
    11 years ago

Don't quite understand the two pumps being plumbed together to the filter ?
    Ask your builder whats up with that ?

• Nalai
    11 years ago

How are you planing on maintaining it? Pucks, liquid, adding salt gen?

we are also amintaining ours, I'm just currious to see what choices others are making.

By the By ours gets full sun from 9am-7pm makes for warm water.

• Cypress214
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nalai- I want to see what Kelly recommends. I'm sure it will be pucks in the chlorinator at first. I have read that they raise your CYA levels so we might convert to liquid once we get things figured out. No salt gen for us. Did you get a decent pool school from Kelly?

• Nalai
    11 years ago

we are still wrapping up, trying to get the new windows phone to give up the nice pictures of the finished pool.

There are 2 things left on out punch list before pool school. But I'm an avid reader and read the Pool School section of TFP before I comited to building the pool.

Kelly says that's the way he maintains his pool.

The pool has been HEAVEN! Spent Saturday putting up a pergola and staining my kids jungle gym, then jumped in the pool and it was like AHHHHH!

You guys getting close?

• Cypress214
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They finished electrical yesterday and tile/stone is scheduled for this week. We are getting there. What was your total build time from start to finish?

• Nalai
    11 years ago

Well we technically aren't finished as there are a few things left on the punch list.

but from dig -> swim it was about 5 weeks a little quick but it's been a blessing.

what kind of coping/tile are you going with?

• Cypress214
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We chose an Oklahoma Wister flagstone coping that has a lot of darker colors in it. We also selected the Noble Tile NWPI 650 Mariana Green for the waterline. It is mostly an earth tone color with a small hint of emerald green and blue. Kelly has them scheduled to start that work tomorrow.

• Nalai
    11 years ago

Becareful of the darker color stone, it gets HOT in the sun. Our travertine which I don't consider "dark" well the darker pieces get really hot durring the day.

• Cypress214
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Our original flagstone was too thin so our pool builder had to pick another selection that would be better for the coping.

The waterline tile compliments the flagstone

They grouted in the tile yesterday and finished the spillway on the spa. I hope to come home to the small rocks on the back wall and hopefully the stone has been delivered for the waterfall.

• poolguynj
    11 years ago

WRT to the two pumps feeding the filter, I am sure it was for pressure testing, not for general operation.

Scott

• MSdiva4life
    11 years ago

Love your pool...I too am building my first pool and I am stuck on the finish.

• huskyridor
    11 years ago

Nalai and Cpypress214, thanks for signing with us!!!
    Mark told me that at pool school today you had lots of pictures of 214's pool. I just hit the shop and logged into the forum to see if his pool build was on the board.
    I feel terrible about not getting into here more often as I used to frequent it a least 3 or 4 times weekly and now am lucky to get here once a month. After my lengthy spell away due to some conflict with the board and getting back aboard again I've been mostly hanging on the forums with my Motorcycle racing and Cigarette boat buddies. I'm going to make it a point to come in at least 2 or 3 times a week again.
    When I've been in I've seen that other long term member industry professionals have been answering the questions the newer members have had. I've probably only made 3 or 4 posts in the past couple of months and they've been design related questions.
    I didn't even know there was a thread on 214's pool build going.
    I got a great laugh when I was reading the chronological dates of his build in progress.
    WHY is it that in the off season I can never get a member to follow his/her build on the board with pictures to see our better turn times???
    It's the same way every busy season, A member will post a thread when I've got 13 pools going at the same time and start an ongoing construction thread, LOL!!!

MSdiva, don't get stuck on a pool finish. Do a little research and you'll discover that PebbleTec and WetEdge are the best 2 on the market. I just did an AWESOME polished Hydrazzo finish. It's an excellent product too, but it's more sensitive to poor water chemistry than the pebbled pool finishes for staying attractive over the long haul of many years in service.

Bruce, poolguyNJ is correct. I plumb all my piping to a common manifold for a pressure test after plumbing and then cut it out at startup.

Hopefully I can reel 214's pool back in line and get a grip on some forward progress over there. We've been very busy and have suffered through a few days of adverse weather here and there which really slows us down on all the jobs.

See ya,
    Kelly

• Cypress214
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Love to see this

• gaylek
    11 years ago

looks great!

• Cypress214
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It rained this week so no progress. So tired of the mess and ready for this project to be completed. I pray Kelly will knock it out in the next week.

• Cypress214
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Look who has decks!!

• twingle
    11 years ago

Your pool is beautiful!! Hope you are able to swim in your new pool on the 4th of July!!

• Cypress214
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks twingle but the rain has done a good job of preventing any progress. The spray deck was put down end of last week and we are scheduled for plaster this Friday. We just need this rain to stay away!

• Cypress214
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Pool was finished in Aruba Luna Quartz on Friday and pool was filled by Saturday afternoon. They start-up the equipment today and I can't wait to see the water when it clears up.

• Cypress214
    Original Author
    11 years ago

• Cypress214
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Some pics with the water fresh and blue. We love the Luna Quartz Aruba color.

Our Kelly Star on the sun shelf

My wife added the star in the spa

The sidewalk was also a nice addition to help keep grass and dirt out of the pool when guests show up.

• texgirl1
    11 years ago

Love your pool... can you please share with my your tile color and manufacturer? I really like it!! Thanks, KIM

• Cypress214
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Texgirl1- sorry for the late reply. The tile color is Noble NWPI 650 Mariana Green and can be found here:
    http://www.nobletile.com/pacific.html

• bebe51
    11 years ago

We are about to use Luna quartz Aruba on our pool. Were you able to see the finish on another pool before you chose that color. I love your pictures but it is so hard to tell the true color due to the different computers. Would you describe the color as more blue, or green. Thanks so much, this is such a hard decision to make.

• Cypress214
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I would certainly describe it as a light blue in the sunshine with the quartz sparkling. In the shade the blue is a darker more lagoon look. We did not get a chance to see the color in person prior to selecting it but I would not change a thing.

• pthaggard
    7 years ago

Cypress,

Beautiful job! We are using the Aruba as well, they start digging this week. We have a 9' spa, wondering what the depth or width of your seat is?

Thanks!

Sponsored
Dream Outdoor Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Providing Quality Home Improvements in South Riding for Over 30 Years