Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tparker38

trying to pick out finish for new pool..HELP!! please!!

tparker38
10 years ago

Ok, so I am having a new pool built in my house in Gulfport, FL. I have picked out noca travertine and geoblue tile. What I am having real trouble with is picking out the finish.

I know that I really like the deep dark blue pool looks as opposed to the clear blue and green, which I absolutely do not want!

My PB gave me the choices of Premix Marbletite Marquis Series. My only real options are bluestone, bluestone w black, Miami blue, pool quartz, sapphire.

Does anyone have any pictures of any of these in their pool? I can't find any on the web and my concern is it will be too clear.

I can upgrade to the Marquis colored series for 1,860.00. These to me, on paper at least, look more like the color I'm after. Like the midnight blue or tropical blue.

Last question, would these colors be too dark to show my LED lights at night?

Any help, pictures, comments would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Comments (20)

• tparker38
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Lisa! Thank you so much for the reply.

I live on Pasadena golf course. My pool will not have a cage, itll be opened and facing WSW. I never thought about the darker pool being too hot in the summer to swim.

Who built your pool? Do you have pics of your pool you can share?

• c9pilot
    10 years ago

Our pool was built by John Sekas. He did a really nice job, but we did have a couple of glitches which were disappointing, but could be overcome. If you would like to discuss, please drop me an email at: "GW Handle" at hotmail.com and I can give you my phone number there.
    I interviewed about a dozen pool companies, did a pretty elaborate spreadsheet, cost comparison, and we did not go with the lowest bid - that is not our style. Our next choice would have been Gulfstream pools out of Oldsmar.

Anyway, you'll find that as with any project, you have to strike a balance between design/style and practicality/cost. There is a current thread on this board where the OP likes the look of a pool with the grass nearly right up to the edge. I think it looks good, but I know that it's not practical for me anyway. The Kitchens forum is full of people designing great looking kitchens that you can't cook in without criss-crossing a dozen times because of where they placed the appliances "for looks". Our kitchen may not be symmetrical, but it's pretty enough and the best kitchen for cooks anywhere! (ordering backsplash tiles today, in fact!)

So you'll have to strike the right balance between the dark look you like and how many months of the year you want to use your pool. A dark pool means you'd be swimming sooner than me (until we get solar heating put in anyway) and then later into the fall, but if we have another hot summer, you won't be using it during the worst part, which is when you want a pool to dip into! Talk to neighbors who have dark pools that face the same way and see what they've experienced.

Anyway, here is a link to the blog I wrote up on my pool build. (I left out the difficult parts because I didn't want to get sued or anything.) Let me know if you have any other questions that I might be able to help with!

PS: Whatever you do, though, get a salt system. The best and easiest to take care of by far, skin feels good, no red itchy eyes.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Blue Pool Blog

• tparker38
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You have been super helpful and I truly appreciate the time you've taken the help me.

I have already picked a builder (Olympus Pools). Have you heard of them? Anyway, I got about 5 quotes and Gulfstream was my second choose, but they were about 7k more.

I just had the builder come out this morning to do a walk thru and we already had to make some changes from the original plan (moving the pool equip from where I originally planned for it to go because of a tree).

I'm doing travertine in the noca color (tan) and a deep blue tile around pool and spa. I'm still debating on the interior. I want it to be dark, but not lagoon style. I was thinking like midnight blue color.

Any ideas on things I might want to change:

Pump: Ecostar Hayward Variable Speed
    Filter: 60 SF DE Hayward
    Light: 12v LED
    Heater: HP2100 HT Hayward
    Vaccum Line: yes
    Chlorinator: Aquarite salt

Depth: 3' to 6'

• Stefv1
    10 years ago

Hey tparker,

I have a dark pool and my water did not get too hot to swim. I live in Louisiana. I too wanted a dark tone. I went with a mini pebble finish in jet black. It is actually black, brown and white pebbles. I love mine. Pebble tec has a similar color. I think my water maxed out at about 94 degrees last summer. Are you going to have a water feature? That can help keep the water cooler in the hot months. I am north of you but Louisiana gets up around 108 degrees in August sometimes. I will post a few pictures for you to see at different times of the day. My pool is on the east side of my home.

• Stefv1
    10 years ago

Stefv1@yahoo.com

• Stefv1
    10 years ago

stefv1@yahoo.com

• Stefv1
    10 years ago

stefv1@yahoo.com

• Jenythomas
    10 years ago

Hii, tparker38

The idea of LED lights at night near the pool sounds very great to me.. In my opinion bluestone and Miami blue will be a better option to go with.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pool Filter Parts

• tparker38
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Stevf1,

Your pool is gorgeous. I really want more a deep blue color as opposed to black, lagoon look.

What is your pools depth?

Jeny,

bluestone and Miami blue are white based and will not be deep bard blue like I am looking for. Have you seen pools with these colors or is your pool one of those colors?

• Stefv1
    10 years ago

My pool is 6 feet depth

My friend has a deep tropical color of blue. Maybe it is more what you are looking for. It is a plaster finish in cobalt blue.

stefv1@yahoo.com

This post was edited by Stefv1 on Thu, May 9, 13 at 22:43

• Stefv1
    10 years ago

In half sunlight half shade.

• Stefv1
    10 years ago

And at night with LED lights.

• tparker38
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Stefv,

Thanks for all the pictures. Very helpful!

I think I am going to go with midnight blue Premix Marbeltite. It seems to give the look like your friend's pool, the deep blue.

Does anyone have any input on the equipment that I am getting?

• c9pilot
    10 years ago

The only thing I might suggest is to add a little additional depth. We went with 6 1/2' and glad we did. People are always jumping in the deep end and I like the extra depth there. I think it ended up being closer to 7'.

As far as the heat, please keep in mind that the Suncoast is unique, and that you and I in particular have the highest sunshine factor in the country. I'm always amazed how few summer thunderstorms we actually get compared to Hillsborough County.

A little water feature is really nice. I hadn't really thought much about the spillover spa, but I really like it now when the pump is running. Very pleasant. We can use the heater to warm the entire pool if we wanted, but we haven't tried it yet.

• Stefv1
    10 years ago

Wish I could help with the equipment. I don't have a heater and just took what they offered with the pool. I have a Jandy stealth pump, a nature 2 Fusion Soft salt chlorinator, and a simple polaris 280 vacuum robot. I really wouldn't recommend the polaris. It messes up all the time. the wheels get hung up and won't turn. I have to pull it out of the water and turn the wheels until it decides to start working on its own. I'll probably have to buy something else this summer.
    BTW, I still can't get in my pool because the water is still too cold. My friend's pool is warmer and they have already started using theirs. I have shade in my yard and she doesn't. I am drooling every time I look out the back door. I can't wait.
    The color you picked sounds good and I'm sure it will turn out great.

• tparker38
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They are starting the dig today! Getting really excited to see this take shape.

C9,

I couldn't change the depth at this point without having to resubmit the permit. So I will leave it as is. I wish I would have gone 1/2 deeper everywhere, but no big deal.

Thanks Stevf for all your input an pictures. I think Im going with the midnight blue.

• DFagan
    10 years ago

Hi- I came across this thread and I am also building a new pool (they started digging today) and struggling with final pic of finish.. I also want the midnight blue (or I think I do).. I am waiting on finding out about this price difference. The material we already selected is Krystalkrete teal. I decided it looks kinda boring compared to the deep blue lagoon look. The shape of our pool and huge sunshelf kinda have that lagoon feel.. Did your Gulfport pool get completed yet? If so, how is the finish?

• DFagan
    10 years ago

Hi- I came across this thread and I am also building a new pool (they started digging today) and struggling with final pic of finish.. I also want the midnight blue (or I think I do).. I am waiting on finding out about this price difference. The material we already selected is Krystalkrete teal. I decided it looks kinda boring compared to the deep blue lagoon look. The shape of our pool and huge sunshelf kinda have that lagoon feel.. Did your Gulfport pool get completed yet? If so, how is the finish?

• rmdoty
    9 years ago

Hello tparker38 and DFagan - I just came across this thread, trying to research the same thing about pool color that you did a year ago! Did you go with the Midnight Blue? Are you happy? Could you offer any advice? I live in Coquina Key. If you see this and can respond that would be great! Thanks!