Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lvario

PB is putting 3 pentair globrite in 18x40 pool.. 3.5-8.5 ???

lvario
10 years ago

Is that gonna be enough light?. I thought all led was the same.. Now I see globrite is for shallow depth.. We will have a deep end..

Comments (11)

• natural_one
    10 years ago

I havent used them yet so my advice is only speculative.

I have used hundreds of Intellibrite lights and that is what I would be using on your pool. In my opinion, your PB is just trying to save money, but at least they arent doing one or two. Three may be plenty.

If I was building your pool (assuming it's rectangular) I would probably be doing two pool size Intellibrites. If it's free form, possibly three spa size Intellibrites.

Do you have any way to contact your local Pentair rep and ask them their advice?

I look forward to using the GloBrites, but only on a baja step/grotto, or beach entry...not as a replacement for the main pool lighting, especially a deep diver.

• jscozz
    10 years ago

I would agree with natural_one. I am not a pool builder... just a homeowner... I am putting one GloBrite in next week on my shelf... and 3-5g pool lights in the main pool. I will have better experience in a few weeks once water is in the pool, but I am just guessing from what I see on the lights, that the beam distribution is much different for the glo brite since it is meant for shallow water shelf use. And at less than half the wattage, I am sure you get much less light output.

May be cost related or may be he thinks having 3 lights will give better coverage? Or may be he is doing it because the niche is cheaper and does not require bonding? That brings up another point... light bezels are usually the means of bonding the pool water... if you are only using Glo Brites, then there is no water bonding... which would be a code violation.

Are they all along a side? I'd be concerned with a GloBrite providing enough light 18 feet away across the pool. I would not skimp on the lighting... VERY hard to change later... :)

• PRO
    Aqua-Link Pools and Spas
    10 years ago

Glo brite lights have half of the power that normal LEDs have which is why you have to have twice as many in. The nice thing about that is that you can cover more ground with them and they light up the pool better. You can put them on each side of the pool off set and they give your water a more glowing look at night and you can get rid of he dark areas in a pool.

You do have to use a bonding device by Permacast in order to meet the bonding requirement. If you have a heater that is bonded at the equipment set that also covers your bonding requirement for the pool. As long as you have a 9" square metal surface that is bonded that touches the water than your pool is bonded. Your heater if you have one meets that requirement. Only problem with that though if a service guy clips the bonding wire to the heater than your not bonded anymore.

Hope that helps.

• ngamer
    10 years ago

For those of you that have installed glo-brites and/or 5g's into your pools I would appreciate your feedback. My PB is saying wonderful things about the glo-brites and wants to put 3 of them in my pool in place of 2 5G's, but am hesitant due to no reviews.

Thanks!

• ngamer
    10 years ago

For those of you that have installed glo-brites and/or 5g's into your pools I would appreciate your feedback. My PB is saying wonderful things about the glo-brites and wants to put 3 of them in my pool in place of 2 5G's, but am hesitant due to no reviews.

Thanks!

• jscozz
    10 years ago

No, No, No. The only reason they want to put the Glo-Brites in is to save $. The Glo-Brites have a cheaper sleeve niche and the light is cheaper. Don't get me wrong, they are great for what they are designed for. Shelf. But as a pool light, NO! I am not a pool builder. I am an owner that has 3 5gs and one Glo Brite installed in my pool. 47 long and 18-22 wide. The 3 5gs are just about right. 2 would have not been enough. The ONE GloBrite on my shelf adds a nice touch to the shelf (about 13x12). If I were doing it again, I would have put a second glo-brite on the shelf at 90 deg to each other and a third glo-brite on my swim out bench, which is dark at night.

In my opinion, the glo-brite does not have the light output and the lens is not designed for main pool lighting. There is NO reason to use them in place of 5gs other than cost cutting... and to do it right, you would need 2-3 times as many and the cost would be similar or more in the end anyway!

• PRO
    Blue Agave Landscape
    7 years ago

I am a PB and use the Globrites on every pool we build. I will tell you it is not due to cost savings considering that I use at roughly a 2 to 1 ratio vs. 5G. The reason I use them is to distribute the lighting more consistently. As far as grounding pools, in Az swimming pools
    are grounded through the rebar in the shotcrete back to the panel. Most all cities also require a halo bond around the perimeter of the pool.

• PRO
    Aqua-Link Pools and Spas
    7 years ago
    The bonding that you do on the steel and equipment is for the metal only. The water has to have its own bonding. That's why you need to have additional bonding that's in contact with the water. Either the bonding lugs or the heater can bond the water. But as I stated above don't trust the heater.
  • Monte
    7 years ago

Breaking ground in about 2 weeks on an 18X36 pool with modern look, cantilever concrete coping, crisp lines. 3.5' to 5' to 3.5' depth. 6' wide steps both ends with top step wider for wading. Sitting shelf the length of pool between the steps.

I thought about 6 Globrites. One each end, two along the length. I like the smaller footprint of the lights and more of them to distribute. PB just options them out per light. He said way too many lights. He'd not do more than 3.

I'm not trying to spend more than I need nor save money just get the lighting right. I wish they could be dimmed but color can't. Be nice to be able to turn 2 or 3 off if I wanted for more control...but I don't think that's an option.

Appreciate any opinions on 3 to 6 Globrites?

• PRO
    Aqua-Link Pools and Spas
    7 years ago

I would go to 6 with that size pool. You could get by with 3 barely but to if you have the money for 6 go with that. It will give you the needed illumination.

You can set up different lights on different relays on your remote or if you are not doing a remote you can set up multiple switches.