Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need 1 last recommendation

Posted by txmomoftwo (My Page) on
Fri, May 7, 10 at 9:43

Can someone please recommend a reputable sprinkler company here in Houston/The Woodlands? I've called a few and I REFUSE to pay a $100 service call just for someone to come out and tell me how much it would cost to reroute our sprinkler lines! They won't even give me a ballpark figure without charging $100.

The excavation crew severed the electrical lines to the sprinklers so now even the zones that are still completely in tact are not working. We need someone ASAP(yesterday) so we can hurry & get it done & get our yard back!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need 1 last recommendation

I got a free quote for repair work from CBS in Spring last year. I ended up doing the work myself but their quote wasn't bad.

o

You dont have landscape maintance guys everywhere in the neighborhood. Thats a simple repair that anyone could do.

o

I saw bad reviews on CBS online.

I do have tons of landscape guys in our neighborhood, but I'm not sure they will be able to fix this. Do most landscape companies fix electrical problems with sprinkers? The electrical lines are severed, all of the backyard sprinkler plumbing destroyed. We want someone to reroute the sprinklers around the perimeter of the fence, check & make sure there are no broken pipes that will just be pumping water into the ground, & fix the electrical system.

o

At this time of year all the good sprinkler guys may be too busy to do free estimates

o

We had 6 zones with 6 valves before construction.
The bobcat mananged to crush 3 valves, break 4 lines (one of which was the primary supply to the backyard) and the track hoe manged to rip out 4 zones worth of pipe.

The only part of mine that works is the front flower bed and the large part of the front yard. That was after I dug up my valve area and fixed the 4 broken lines.

So now I have 2 working zones. I did manage to find the cut control cable while they were digging and ran to home depot and bought a 70 ft of 1 inch pipe that I placed with the PB plumbing trench while it was there, I figured hey, why waste a good opportunity! I also bought a spool of sprinkler system wire and ran it in the deck form before they built it. So at least I have the main parts of my plumbing infrastructure in place. The good news, I will only need half the heads I used to have.

I wish you luck on this, I am fixing mine on my own, having worked with sprinkler systems in the past, I estimate my repair cost in the $1500 -$2000 range if I paid someone.

The PB really made a mess of it.

o

txmom,
I'm in need of the same thing. I'm probably petty close to you. I'm in Alden Bridge. Just finished pool and need sprinkler repair. let me know if you find someone. I have a guy coming shortly for a quote. I will let you konw.

o

Hey, I am in AB too!

o

goyo: Good thinking running it all with the trenches open! All that I can do is laugh at this whole situation. Two sprinkler companies just came out and gave us bids. Conversation went like this:

Him: "You need to have the guys do the clean-up and reslope your yard before I come in to fix the sprinklers."

Me: "Huh?"

Him: Repeats the above statement.

Me: "So you are saying that I need to have these people put everything back together, reslope, and do dirtwork just so you can come back and dig it all up and tear it up again?"

Him: "Yes, that is what I'm saying."

Me: "Uhhhh, HOW ON EARTH DOES THAT MAKE SENSE? If you are going to tear up the yard(if it is even possible to tear it up even more than it currently is), why not just wait to do the final clean-up until you are finished? Then my yard will be all pretty again and ready for new sod."

Him: "The yard needs to be level and sloped like it is going to be sloped after they fix it so I can run the sprinklers & lines at the right slope so they will come up out of the ground correctly and not be buried under topsoil."

Me: "Okay, that just made total sense. So are you telling me that we are going to put down new sod and you are going to come in the next day and dig it all up?(feeling sick to my stomach)"

Him: "No, don't lay down the sod until we are done. You can just cut 2" holes for the sprinkler heads out of the sod when you are laying it down."

Thought this conversation might be helpful to any of you who had no idea when you put in your pool that once they cut the electrical line, you can't use your sprinkler system at ALL until it is fixed. Then realize that your notion of just "capping the pipes" to the back, running the zones in the front, and dealing with the sprinkler system later was unrealistic unless you want to water your front yard by hand everyday. Plan for this before you build. They estimate about $900 to get ours rerouted and back up and running. We'll see how much it really cost after the get out here and do the work next week.

o

goyom,

since you live so close, can you come fix my sprinklers? I will pay your gas to get here. ha.

o

We need to fix a couple of things on our sprinklers and would really like to do some reworking of the system....hearing all this makes me want to fix the heads we can do ourselves, be glad the new fuse on the controller has things working again and forget rezoning anything. I've been hesitant to call anyone to do anything we can do ourselves but I never thought it would be a big deal to get someone out if I needed them.

o

I'm about five minutes away from you both. :) One of the good things about living in "the bubble" is that everything is all relatively close.

thewoodlands: Did you get a sprinkler quote yet? How did your pool build go? Any pictures to share?

goyom: Oh my! You had a rough time of it! Sinking bobcats, busted valves, jackhammered decking. I'm starting to feel better about our owner/build by the minute. Our bobcat drivers may have been the same person. Mine had the finesse of a bull in a china shop. Only thing I would change if I could go back and do it over was the first crew that came in with the dig, steel, & plumbing. Ugh....I'm not even going to get started on them! I'm a pretty good judge of character and I went with the recommendation of a friend rather than trusting my own judgement on that one. MISTAKE!! Who is your builder?

lascatx: I called about 8 companies that morning and found two that could come and give quotes that day. First guy would have had the job until his closing statement. His parting words were, "Don't think about it too long or I might pass on this job for something bigger." Ugh! Not the best way to entice a potential client.

The 2nd guy was very upfront, told me his hourly fee, what the parts would cost, & that he would be with his family for mother's day weekend so he couldn't start until next week(which I appreciated b/c I admire men who put their families first even if it does mean possibly losing a client every now and then).

Glad your fuse is fixed & things are back up and running for you!

o

"goyom,
since you live so close, can you come fix my sprinklers? I will pay your gas to get here. ha. "
--------------
No chance whatsoever. =) My sprinklers are backup and running again and I am done with PVC and glue.

"goyom: Oh my! You had a rough time of it! Sinking bobcats, busted valves, jackhammered decking. I'm starting to feel better about our owner/build by the minute. Our bobcat drivers may have been the same person. Mine had the finesse of a bull in a china shop. Only thing I would change if I could go back and do it over was the first crew that came in with the dig, steel, & plumbing. Ugh....I'm not even going to get started on them! I'm a pretty good judge of character and I went with the recommendation of a friend rather than trusting my own judgement on that one. MISTAKE!! Who is your builder? "
---------
Actually the sinking problem was fairly common in the woodlands in february pool builds. The dig/gunite company is called Dynex, nice guys actually, shot my gunite nice and thick and did my rebar closer to 8 inch on center vs 10 inch, which is what was called for in my contract, so very happy with them and the equipment drivers were good, they had a very close tolerance to get in and out of my yard and did not damage the house or the fence even with the many trips go carry the dirt out.

We got a fantastic price on our pool having an inside friend at the business, so I cannot complain one bit, all the headaches are behind us and the PB has been great taking care of the loose ends, not to mention the excellent warranty on the pool and equipment. They even threw in a few gifts for our hassles.
Plus about $300 in chemicals.

o

txmomoftwo,

Do you mind sharing which 2 companies you called out for your sprinkler work? I was going to wait until next year to fix but don't think I can take the hand watering all summer.

o

The company that we are using is Premier Landscaping & Irrigation. Nice guy & he is a licensed irrigator. His website: http://www.premierlandscapingtx.com/
I'll let you know after he does the work whether or not we'd recommend them. :)

I threw the card away of the other company who came when we decided not to use them.

o

amy_texas - I have a company coming to fix mine tomorrow. very resonable priced. let me know if you would like their contact.

o

thewoodlands: Who is the company? What is their price for rerouting?

o

thewoodlands - yes I would like the contact info. I always like to get 2-3 estimates.

txmomoftwo - your guy is coming to giving me an estimate on Sunday - he said he was doing your work then and would swing by since he would be in the area.

o

My husband met the guy from Premier Landscaping today and REALLY liked him. He was super nice and after they talked, he is going to do more work for us than we had planned on.

o

Did he do your sprinkler work yesterday? He came by my house yesterday; very nice guy, just wondering how his work is.

o

No, they got backed up due to the rain on Saturday so we will have the sprinklers done on Friday. I'll let you know how happy we are after he does the work. While he's at it, we are going to have him resod our yard as well. My dog keeps tracking in SAND & it's driving me nuts trying to keep my dark wood floors clean.

o

amy / txmom,

I apologize for the delay. If you would still like the guys number that has done my sprinkler system and landscaping please send me an email (soileau@rocketmail.com) and i will send you their contact info and also send you pics of my pool and landscape build. it came out amazing.

o

Hubby met with Premier & said he seemed like a stand-up guy. Had to rescheduled a few times already & now I'm just at the point where I've just got to get it done before my family gets here next week. He liked him so much that if we were not in a rush, we would have been fine with rescheduling again.

thewoodlands: Thank you very much for the recommendation! Due to scheduling difficulties, we decided to go with your guy. Should be finished before Monday. :)

o

Txmom - Those guys worked on my landscaping/sprinklers for the last 6 days and did a super job. I hope you are as happy with them as I am. Let me know if you have the same results.

o

Hi, sorry to chime in on your discussion but I was wondering if you would post the name of who you used for your irrigation or if you would be willing for me to email you as well?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here