Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
old pool repair

Posted by moyo (My Page) on
Tue, May 3, 11 at 8:58

Hi.

My husband an I are in process of relocating and we're looking at a 50-year old fixer-upper house that's sturdy and it's been well-maintained by its original owner, but in need of major upgrades.

We are handy, stubborn and accustomed to renovating, however the old pool on the property is out of our comfort zone. The old concrete pool deck is cracked in spots and in need of major renovating. The pool itself is covered with a nice cover, but who knows what lurks beneath....

We'll obviously have a pool inspector take a look before committing, but before making a bid, I'd love to get an idea of what the cost of repairs might be. I've read about resurfacing the pool deck a bit, but I wonder if anyone out there might be able to offer a quick Old Pool Repair 101 course via Garden Web post.

What are the potential costs?
How much of it could we do ourselves?
What would be a deal-breaker in terms of damage?
And what repairs are immediately necessary versus what can be postponed for a season?

Thanks for your help. This property would be our biggest challenge yet, but the potential incredible!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: old pool repair

moyo,
Potential costs could exceed that of a new pool.
Biggest item that most inspections will not address is leakage. Plumbing leaks on a pool this old are high potential. Ask if the pool has copper plumbing to start. Then ask if it has been replastered more than once.
In some cases it is easier to remove the old pool and build what you want.
Try to be there when the inspector comes so you know what he is looking at and ask questions about general costs of repair. Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here