Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
playa7

Pool Specs - fair price? Any holes that you see?

playa7
12 years ago

GENERAL SPECIFICAT IONS:

POOL SIZE: 18' X 23' X 39'

POOL DEPTH: 3�6" X 7'6"

AREA OF POOL: 595 Sq. Ft.

PERIMETER: 110�

SPA SPECIFICATIONS:

SPA SIZE: 6' X 9' ID � WITH SPLIT LEVEL SEATING

SPA SHAPE: FREEFORM

RAISED: 12" WITH FLAGSTONE TERRACED SPILLWAY

MECHANICAL EQUIPMENT:

FILTER: Pentair Quad DE Filter

POOL PUMP: Pentair Whisperflo 2.0 HP

WATERFEATURE PUMP: Pentair Whisperflo 1.0 HP

VALVES: Never Lube Valves � Multi Port Valves - Backwash Line

SKIMMERS: 2 ea. Tan Skimmers

POOL LIGHTS: Pentair Intellibrite LED � GFCI Protected Lights

MAIN DRAINS: Dual Anti-Vortex

INLETS: 6 ea (5 in Pool and 1 in Spa)

CLEANER: Pentair Letro Legend with � HP Booster Pump

TIMER: Wireless Easy Touch 8 Controller

CHLORINATOR: Pentair Intellichor IC 40 Salt Generator

HEATER: Pentair 400,000 BTU Master-Temp Heater

AIR BLOWER: Silencer 2 HP Air Blower

SPA LIGHT: Pentair Intellibrite LED � GFCI Protected Light

SPA JETS: 6 ea

STRUCTURAL POOL SPECIFICATIONS:

BEAM: 4 Bar Box Beams #4 Bar

WALLS / FLOORS: #3 Bar 6" X 6" On Center

GUNITE: 6 To 1 Cement To Sand Ratio

GUNITE (BEAM): 12"

GUNITE (FLOORS): 9" With Weep Holes

STEPS / BENCHES: Per Plan

PLUMBING SPECIFICATIONS:

2" SUCTION, SEPARATE LINES, SEPARATE VALVES / PVC SCHEDULE 40 ON ALL POOL PIPING PVC SCHEDULE 80 ON ALL PUMP CONNECTIONS

ELECTRICAL AND GAS:

ALL ELECTRICAL AND GAS INCLUDED (METER BY OWNER)

TILE / COPING AND INTERIOR SPECIFICATIONS:

COPING: Natural Select Flagstone

TILE: Standard Waterline Tile

INTERIOR FINISH: Diamond Brite Cat I Quartz

TRIM TILE ON STEPS & BENCHES: Customer Selection

DECK SPECIFICATIONS:

DECK AREA: 1010 Sq Ft

DECK TYPE: Spray Decking

STEEL SPECS: # 3 Bar - 16" OC

THICKNESS: 4"

POOL MAINTENANCE EQUIPMENT:

MAINTENANCE POLE: 8� To 16� Telescoping Pole

VACUUM HEAD: 12" Deluxe Vacuum Head

VACUUM HOSE: 35� Deluxe Vacuum Hose

WALL BRUSH: Heavy Duty Wall Brush

LEAF NET: Deep Net Skimmer

TEST KIT: Deluxe 4-Part Kit

MISCELLANEOUS:

START-UP CHEMICALS D.E. WHERE APPLICABLE, ACID, STABILIZER, CHLORINE TABS, SHOCK, ALGAECIDE (Salt added 30 days after pool is plastered)

INCLUDED OPTIONS:

6" O.C. STEEL

3 TON MOSS ROCK WATERFALL

29' OF MOSS ROCK WEEPING WALL WITH 3 WEEPERS

MOSS ROCK PLANTER

1ST STEP TANNING LEDGE WITH UMBRELLA ANCHOR AND FLAGSTONE STAR

FLAGSTONE INSERTS SHOWN IN PLAN

MOSS ROCK JUMPING ROCK

SEAL FLAGSTONE COPING AND MOSS ROCK

LED LIGHTING IN POOL AND SPA

SEPARATE WATERFEATURE PUMP

SPLIT LEVEL SEATING IN SPA WITH 6 JETS

UMBRELLA ANCHORS IN DECKING

FILL LINE AND OVERFLOW LINE

CUSTOM STEPS AND BENCHES

FINAL CLEAN UP OF JOBSITE SAND ADDED AND GRADED

LABEL ALL POOL PLUMBING

START UP CLASS

SPRAY DECKING ON EXISTING CONCRETE PATIO

WARRANTY INFORMATION:

LIFE TIME STRUCTURAL WARRANTY * 1 YEAR WARRANTY ON ALL WORKMANSHIP* THREE YEAR (PARTS) MANUFACTURES WARRANTY ON PENTAIR PUMPS AND EQUIPMENT AND ONE YEAR (PARTS) ON AIR SUPPLY EQUIPMENT

ITEMS NOT INCLUDED IN THIS PROPOSAL:

ADDITIONAL MATERIALS OR LABOR DUE TO POOR SOIL CONDITIONS OR WATER TABLE

UNKNOWN DEBRIS OR TREE STUMPS IN AREAS OF EXCAVATION

REROUTES OF ANY TYPE (SEWER, SEPTIC, GAS, ELECTRIC, PHONE, CABLE)

REPAIRS TO UNDERGROUND UTILITIES OR SPRINKLER LINES

REPAIRS TO SIDEWALK, SOD OR DRIVEWAY FOR ACCESS OF EXCAVATION MACHINES

LARGER GAS METER OR PROPANE TANKS � HOOK UP TO PROPANE TANKS

POTS OR PLANTERS

ADDITIONAL ELECTRICAL SERVICE

LANDSCAPING

PATIO FURNITURE

FENCING

DRAIN LINE RAN TO STREET

APPLICANCES FOR OUTDOOR KITCHEN

TREE REMOVAL

PIERS PER ENGINEER SPECIFICATIONS

CUSTOMERS RESPONSIBILITY:

ATTEND PRE-CONSTRUCTION MEETING

MAKE ALL GATES, FENCES AND DOORS SWIMMING CODE COMPLIANT

PICK OUT TILE, COPING, PLASTER AND DECKING CHOICES IN A TIMELY MANNER

WATER GUNITE TWICE DAILY FOR 10 DAYS

MANAGE WATER AT POOL FILL

BRUSH PLASTER TWICE DAILY FOR 10 DAYS

HELP MAINTAIN CONSTRUCTION BARRIER DURING TIME OF CONSTRUCTION

MAKE ALL PAYMENTS PER CONTRACT SCHEDULE

POOL PROPOSAL PRICE: $ 53,500.00

Comments (9)

• cnr1089
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I am not an expert, so I would wait for them to chime in, but based on my little experience (new pool owner as of late last year):

1) Check if you need to provide water for Gunite process (not just watering later). Our pool company expected that, and when our well couldn't provide the amount they needed, they charged us for a water truck (we got that money back, since we had the neighbors hose ready before I was told about the water truck).

2) I would go for a variable speed pump (or 2 speed pump) if possible. Why run your pool at full speed (more electricity $$) if it doesn't need it all the time. If mine ran full speed 8 hours a day, it would cost me $192/month. Mine runs full speed for 3 hours, and the remainder at low speed and it is significantly less expensive. I would have gotten a variable speed pump to fine tune power vs. water pressure, had I knew that was an option (variable speed pumps cost 3x more I think).

3) How level is your ground? We ended up needing 14 loads of extra fill material, when we were negotiating our contract, they said we would need "maybe 2 tops". That was a extra $ we did not expect.

4) Are you responsible for putting temporary fencing around the construction, or are they? Our pool company didn't (we just expected it), and we had to go out and do it ourselves (the fencing company put in something better then we did, once we signed a contract with them).

• starplex
    12 years ago

I am certainly no expert, but I am fixing to sign my contract today. We have very, very similair specs. You have about 328sf more of deck and all sprayed compared to my spec. Also, you have SWG whereas I don't. My spa doesn't have split level seating but same size w/ 7 jets. I didn't include the cleaner, but got an elevated jumping platform w/ 3ft sheer decent & tanning shelf. Our price is $50.5 & we supposedly got a memorial day discount of 10%.. One thing I just noticed is your Rock waterfall. This is normally a pretty big adder in terms of cost which we don't have. Thus, I would say your pricing seems to be in better than mine, and a very favorable price. Good Luck!

• playa7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much for the info and opinions. We are new to all of this, having never built a pool before. I am just trying to understand all the lingo! Ha! We are trying to decide on a jump rock or a diving board. The way our proposal is priced includes a jump rock at the end of the waterfall/weeping wall. If we do a diving board, we will go deeper and a little longer in the deep end. How big is your tanning shelf? Ours includes a shelf as well. I will post our drawing. I will definitely ask about the other great advice! I was wondering about the variable speed pump as well. Hope to hear more input! We are waiting for one more bid to come in before we decide which PB to use. I am so nervous!

• womanowned
    12 years ago

You didn't mention where you are located (did you?), so, as a pool builder, it is hard to comment on the price without knowing if a regular excavator can be used, etc.
    Overall, though, it seems reasonable. Like a previous poster, I would opt for variable speed pumps, because it will save you money. You could technically run everything but the cleaner on one Pentair Intelliflo VS-3050, 3 HP, 4 speed pump. You would need to use 3" plumbing on the suction side to maximum the pump efficiency, but that pump is a real energy saver. If I were you, I would also eliminate the booster pump for the cleaner and the Letro Legend cleaner and go with a robotic instead. It too will save you money in operational costs. Pentair makes a good one called the "Prowler". Go with the 720 version.

• playa7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow...so much great info! I can't tell you how nice it is to be able to gain such knowledge from people who know what they are talking about. FYI, we are in the League City, Texas, area. It is great to have others' opinions in our bidding process. Thanks tremendously!

• lookingforapool
    12 years ago

Fair price for the area. (I live in League City too.)

If you can afford it, I would consider upgrading your plaster from Diamond Brite to Pebble or WetEdge. It's extra money, but well worth it - especially in a couple of years when you're going to have to replaster the DiamondBrite.

Also, depending on where your equipment is located in comparison to your gas meter, League City allows you to install 2 gas meters at one residence. It was less expensive for us to run a whole new line and have our gas meter closer to our equipment than run the existing line all the way around the house. (Remember you have to pay the gas company for the larger gas meter anyway - and in our area that's a couple of hundred $$$.)

You also might want to investigate looking at either your flagstone coping or choice of salt. In our area, pools haven't always been successful with that combination. It depends on poolbuilder and the type of flagstone that they use - but in the Houston area - not so bueno. Ask to look at a previous customers salt pool that chose flagstone. They should be willing to comply - and if not, then it may be because customers chose not to use those products together, or they aren't holding up as well.

• playa7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I appreciate all the posts! The idea for the gas meter is great! I will definitely look into that because we have decided to put the equipment on the side of the house where we currently do not have the gas run. Thanks so much for the heads-up!
    Sounds like variable speed pump is the way to go, also.
    We are meeting with the other PB tomorrow afternoon to get his design for us as well and then we plan on making a decision.
    I am struggling with the flagstone issue. We are doing a salt water pool. I have one PB that we have met with tell me that flagstone is fine with a salt water pool, but it needs to be sealed. This same pool builder seems to push chlorine pools over salt, though. I have the other pool builder that is coming tomorrow for our design tell us that flagstone is fine with salt water and you do not have to seal it. They usually don't seal it. So, I am confused! Also, the first PB said he uses DiamondBrite and the second PB said he uses Pebbletec.
    I am concerned with the issues of roughness for Pebbletec, as I have two very active boys that plan on living in the pool and do not want them to get roughed up.
    Who knew making all these decisions could be so complicated! Any insight is greatly appreciated.

What other coping and tiling would be best if we decide to go with the salt water, which we are pretty set on. Also, the first pool builder uses Pentair and the second pool builder uses Jandy? Opinions?
    Thanks! Ready to take the plunge and get started!

• starplex
    12 years ago

Variable speed or 2 speed pumps are recommended. 2 speed pumps are abit cheaper normally.
    Diamondbrite is also a pebble pool. PebbleTec offers a smaller pebble finish (Pebble Sheen) that may be more favorable for you with better quality than Diamondbrite. We are going with the Wet Edge Satin Matrix finish, which is also the smaller pebble.

Salt is a very contraversal subject. Do a search & you will find lots of info. I too was sold on salt and had the same problem with PB's one offered and one didn't. What I found with the PB I chose is if you installed brick coping they would install salt, if you chose a natural stone they would not install salt. From all the research I have done, some have had problems with salt & others have not. It is highly recommended to seal natural stone if you have salt as this will provide some protection. I chose to not do salt as the only reason I really wanted it was for the feel of the water. (The cost advanatge really is a wash over a 5 yr period or so). Instead our PB recommended using Endure (sodium Tetraborate)which will give the same benefits of soft water like salt does, but it is also an algaecide. I do have a friend with flagstone & salt and he did not seal it and it is currently suffering from erosion/corrosion. I think it needs to be sealed every 6 mos or so.

Can't comment on the Pentair vs Jandy. I'm using all Hayward with Jandy controls valves.

Also, make sure the control system you have chosen will control all the features you want. Some have limited relays. Others have endless possibilities but are expensive.

• lookingforapool
    12 years ago

I did pretty much the same thing as starplex when building my pool. I have friends in the Houston area with salt/flagstone and they have corrosion. Could be coincidence, but I didn't want to take the chance. Because there's no definite proof on the cause, I think some pool builders in the Houston area will only install suggest salt with brick or preformed copings. From what I gathered, complete submersion of flagstone is ok, but the coping is where the problems lie.

I elected not to use salt, so to help get the softer water I added Endure. Have been very happy with it. Since I have natural stone coping (travertine), I choose to seal it. Mine needs to be done every year at the start of pool season, but probably could use it every 6-9 months. I just don't think about noticing it in the winter when I'm not in the pool.

Regarding pool equipment - I don't think there's too much of a difference. From what I understood the PB use different equipment b/c they have a contract/bulk price break/hook up to do so. When pressed, all the pool builders claimed the customer service representatives/time to come service equipment is better with the brand that they pushed. However, when I interviewed the PB, I asked if they would be willing to install the other...and all said yes.

I second the control system part. Don't quite remember why now, but if memory serves me correctly the Jandy controller that I picked out wouldn't service some function in the other brand of equipment correctly. In this day and age, you'd think that they would all be compatible...but ask before hand just to make sure.