Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
NW Houston - Consent to Encroach Utility Easement

Posted by newhoustonpool (My Page) on
Sat, May 28, 11 at 8:14

We are in the process of planning for a new pool in the NW Houston. We have a really small backyard with a 14 foot utility easement. This only gives us enough room for a pool that is at most 8.5 feet wide. It looks good on paper but when we started laying it out yesterday, not so good.

Has anyone in the Houston area gone through the process to encroach into the utility easement?

It looks as though you need a new survey and a $500 application fee and then another $500 if approved. I would appreciate any advice/feedback from anyone that has gone through this process.

How much encroachment is too much to ask for. I would like something in the neighborhood of 3-5 feet but a smaller amount could "work" as well and allow us to just straighten things out a bit.

Any local pool builders gone through this with their clients. All comments are welcome and thanks in advance.

It is all underground utilities and I back up to a road that has 30-35ft of common subdivision area.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: NW Houston - Consent to Encroach Utility Easement

I would have a centerpoint representative come to your house and see what can be done to give you some additional space. They do site visits and offer advice. I know you can get the encroachment granted, but I don't know how many feet are the norm....

o

It typically costs thousands to buy space in an easement

o

Hi,
I was wondering if there was any final resolution to this? I am actually in a near exact situation and would love to know. Hopefully they worked with you on the easement and it didn't break your bank!
Thanks
D

o

We had to get ALL the utilities and nearly the Army Corps of Engineers (we are building on a river/bayou) to consent to encroach for our sidewalk and retaining wall. It cost us $250 to pay the city for the legal paperwork, but I'm in a smallish town a couple hours from Houston. My best advice is to find the LOCAL engineers. Do not deal with anyone not in your local office. Keep calling until they give you the guy who actually drives around the neighborhoods and signs off on this stuff. In our case the electric company was the trickiest, but once we showed them their lines were actually 10 feet out from where we wanted concrete, they were happy to sign off on it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here