Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Delta UV

Posted by omny (My Page) on
Sat, May 1, 10 at 7:17

Has anyone hear or tried Delta UV as a sanitizer for their pool? The company says that you should run your pump 24/7 in order to get the UV to kill everything.
Would be nice to get away from chlorine.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Delta UV

It only works on the water passing through it. The water in the pool can take over 4 turns of its volume to pass.

If one turn of your pool takes 6 hours, thats over 24 hours for all the actual water to have an opportunity to pass the cell.

Biologicals, not including algae, can reproduce in as little as 15 minutes. How many times will they double in 6 hours? 24 hours?... Algae grows on the wall and will never pass through.

Chlorine leaves a residual in the pool to take care of these situations. It also acts as an oxidizer for reducing body wastes that need to be broken down. UV acts as a supplemental sanitizer system only. Unlike ozone, it won't do both but like ozone, only acts on water passing in the cell and as stated earlier, has issues with what's in the pool.

A properly balanced pool will not smell like chlorine, will not hurt eyes, will not need to run the pump as long, and has a reasonable cost. Why go away from what works best? Save your money.

Scott

o

I asked my PB about these, and he said they are a niche gadget that works, but then gave me the water lesson the poolguynj just explained.

My PB said nice expensive toy, fine for supplemental sanitation, not a replacement for chlorine.

o

Update:

I recently installed a delta uv es-40 unit. It has worked great with chlorine levels at 1ppm. It took 4 days to turn my green pool to blue. With UV sanitation you will still have to maintain chemical balance of the pool, but it will greatly decrease chemicals needed. The water is much softer now with no smell of chlorine. The water even looks different like a natural spring. For those that are uneducated on UV sanitation most olympic pools use it. New York's drinking water system uses it, and it is now mandated by government for commercial pools to have it. Gimmick....NO This really works ...welcome to the future, although its been used for years in Europe. Many people in the fish tank industrial swear by it. I am now a believer as well. I do not sell these filters nor affiliated with any. My pool has vast exposure to elements.

Waterborne pathogens get a lot of exposure in the news. That’s because they’ve been associated with some of the nastiest recreational water illnesses (RWI's) ever reported. Germs such as cryptosporidium, E. coli, giardia, and shigella cause diarrhea, the most common symptom. The most severe diseases are cryptosporidiosis and giardiasis. Although a few RWI cases have led to kidney failure, the more common and less severe complications are skin rashes, respiratory infections and otitis externa, commonly called swimmers ear. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has been gathering information from state health authorities on RWI outbreaks since 1978. Since 1985, the number of outbreaks of diarrhea connected with swimming pools is on the rise. Some of these outbreaks have affected thousands of swimmers. Ultra-potent UV is scientifically proven to eliminate waterborne pathogens while lowering the need for chemicals.

o

day 1 preinstall

o

day 4

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here