Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Main electrical line hit during excavation

Posted by tfisher (My Page) on
Thu, May 17, 12 at 4:51

My husband and I began construction on our swimming pool on May 1. Prior to excavation, a utility locator was dispatched to our property to locate all service lines. He came and sprayed in lines not ONCE....but TWICE. On the day of excavation, the excavator unearthed our main electrical line. The utility locator says he does not contract to locate for Center Point, therefore he does not speay in their lines. Center Point, of course, says WE own the line not them and therefore, THEY are not responsible. Our line runs straight through the middle of our yard diagonally from the northeast corner of the house to the northwest corner if the back if the yard...approximately 1000 feet in length. The survey indicates (our home will be two years old in August) that the utility easement runs along our wood fence from the back of the house, then alongside the fence across the back of the yard. The builder did not follow the easement and chose the cheapest route. Additionally, during the reroute, we discovered our main line is aluminum....which the builder also failed to disclose. Thankfully no one was injured. I grow WEARY of listening to these folks point the finger at each other and no one wants to accept responsibilty. When a main electrical line does not follow the utility easement and I understand it doesn't have to...is the builder under a duty to advise the location of the line so as to warn of a dangerous potentially life threatening situation? Must they have also notified of the aluminum wiring? Who is responsible for this? Ugh! I am SO aggravated! Thanks for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Main electrical line hit during excavation

tfisher,
Usually, the utiity company locates the service up to the meter. I assume you are talking about the service after the meter that was hit. The easements are used for the main lines servicing the entire neighbor hood that happen to go thru your property.
Alluminum is not a problem if properly installed. The connections are the area that can be troublesome if not secured correctly.

o
RE: Main electrical line hit during excavation

Your lines are your responsibility to have marked, just as your septic is.

Utility owned lines are what Dig Safe and other similar programs are about. They pay for that service.

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here