Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krislr

Expansion Joint material (Deck o seal) spill

Kristi Richards
10 years ago

Hello all,

I'm a new poster to this site, but a long time lurker and have learned a lot about home remodelling projects, pools, and the like but obviously I've not learned enough because I had a less than satisfactory experience with a reputable pool company who replaced my expansion joint and I need some help with a couple of issues.

First, my expansion joint is between 1/4 - 1/2 inch wide and runs for approx 70 linear feet. The old joint material was removed, the debris was removed and the area cleaned, then the foam was replaced, and deck o seal was applied.

After the job was complete and I took a closer look, I noticed several areas where there were holes or where the sealant didn't completely fill the space so it is not watertight.

The second issue is that there are several areas on my flagstone coping and kool decking where the deck o seal product overflowed the joint space and was left to set up as well as other areas where there are drips and spilled deck o seal product.

My questions are these:

How do I get the dried deck o seal off my deck and coping without ruining them?

Can I score the edge of the product where it has overflowed the joint space and remove it without compromising the integrity of the deck o seal?

Because there are holes and voids in the sealant, can I fill in with deck o seal one step (caulk) or does the entire joint have to be replaced.

I know it would be helpful to have pics, and as soon as it is daylight, I'll try to post some, but I would really appreciate some feedback / opinions / ideas.

Thanks
Kristi

Comments (5)