Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rayadawn_gw

Pool Shares a Wall with a Planter - What to plant?

rayadawn
12 years ago

Hello! I am in Zone 9 in Southern California. I have just purchased a house that has a pool in the backyard. It is a long skinny rectangular yard. The pool takes up about 2/3 of the yard and has a planter running all along the back side of it. The planter is in fact, abutting up against the pool itself. They share a wall. The planter is about 5 feet wide and 30 feet long. On the other side of the planter is a 6 foot tall cinder block fence.

On the other side of the fence is an ugly view that is visible all over my house. I would like to block this view as much as possible with tall, pretty, pool friendly foliage.

I would like suggestions as to what I may be able to plant there that would be the least likely to danage the pool and the most likely to provide much needed privacy.

The pool plumbing is all on the other side so I'm not concerned about roots getting at it. I just want something that will not put the pool walls themselves in danger. Looks-wise I would prefer tropical.

Another note, the pool is at least 30 years old, and the planter currently contains 3 citrus trees, a grape arbor, random flowers and weeds. These seem to coexist with the pool just fine, but they don't help at all to improve the view / provide privacy.

Thank you!

Please see pics below!!

Here is a link that might be useful: PHOTOS OF POOL & PLANTER