Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shopsafari_gw

Should I make my pool less deep?

shopsafari
10 years ago

Hi there,
I'm new to this site and forum. I'm seeking help with a question about my new pool. We bought our new home six months ago and several months back started construction to upgrade our huge inherited pool what was built in the 50's with old plumbing etc. But the project quickly expanded to rebuilding the retaining wall, all the backyard concrete, and now building a BBQ. We've spent and spent and the contractor is great, but now that we're near the end, he's highly recommending to fill in our pool so that it's less deep. Right now it's 9.5-10 feet in depth and is 24 feet long, 15 feet wide, a 42,000 gallon pool which I'm told is huge. My pool contractor feels that it's TOO big and if we make it 6 to 7 feet in depth, then we'll have less water and will save money in the coming years on heat and maintenance. Also, he feels that it will burden the systems and will be harder to maintain with so much water. But it's another 7K at least we're told and we've already spent more than 100K plus lots of extras-lights, granite. My husband is done, and has had enough! But should we worry about the size of our pool in terms of it being TOO BIG, TOO much water to maintain efficiently? We won't ever want to do this again so if we're going to, now is the time!

Comments (3)